All-Star Voiceover Usage

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When the song pretty boy swag came out i wanted to use it it for our music and say "this right here is b-town swag". But then I saw wildcats used it and got nervous and ended up not putting it in for this reason exactly. Im glad I didnt now.

Just out of general interest, do the mixers ever pay royalties to the original artists and v/o talent?

No they don't which means that music is made illegally because they are selling it for profit. People can complain about others stlealing music, heck I don't like it myself, but there isn't much that can be done because the gym that thinks they own the music doesn't because royalties were never paid to that artist to begin with. People shouldn't complain too much because if someone wanted to they could stop cheer music from using artists music all together with just a silly ol lawsuit.

No they don't which means that music is made illegally because they are selling it for profit. People can complain about others stlealing music, heck I don't like it myself, but there isn't much that can be done because the gym that thinks they own the music doesn't because royalties were never paid to that artist to begin with. People shouldn't complain too much because if someone wanted to they could stop cheer music from using artists music all together with just a silly ol lawsuit.
absolutely hit the nail on the head
my father is in the radio business and was going to post something lengthy about legal usage etc..but basically this is it

my father is in the radio business and was going to post something lengthy about legal usage etc..but basically this is it

It is funny because this gets brought up rather often and everytime I think to myself why in the world do people pay so much money for an illegal piece of music. You would think that if people knew that technically it is all against the law that the complaining would be less and people wouldn't pay so much for it.

I actually think it would be smart for a music producer to find out how to get royalties for music because I think if they were the only one or the first one to do this it could make this business grow because many gyms may opt for a more legal way of getting their music. The price may go up a tad and the music mixer may earn a smaller cut of the profit but if business grew it would be at their benefit to cover their own butt.

xtremeteal4life said:

I used to be in radio but it's been 10 years so my memory may be fuzzy. I don't remember much about ASCAP and legalities but I thought that if less than :30 seconds of a song was played it was legal to use whether royalties were paid or not. Things may have changed or my memory is incorrect though so I'm not going to stand by this if I'm wrong lol! I remember studying it but it's been too long since I used any working knowledge of it.

ztaprincess said:
It is funny because this gets brought up rather often and everytime I think to myself why in the world do people pay so much money for an illegal piece of music. You would think that if people knew that technically it is all against the law that the complaining would be less and people wouldn't pay so much for it.

I actually think it would be smart for a music producer to find out how to get royalties for music because I think if they were the only one or the first one to do this it could make this business grow because many gyms may opt for a more legal way of getting their music. The price may go up a tad and the music mixer may earn a smaller cut of the profit but if business grew it would be at their benefit to cover their own butt.

I think music will continue to be expensive bc I think mixes will move towards original pieces by various artists hired to sing/rap an entire routine. Lots of talented singers out there could get paid for super custom cheer mixes. I guess cheer gyms will be launching recording studios lol!

@cupieqt

I talked to a professor and my advisor (she was also a pre law advisor) and she was actually shocked that someone hadn't reported the mixers yet. I would be scared to use certain artists in mixes because they are very protective over their music (best example would be Prince).

I do agree though that the mixes will continue to be expensive, I just think that if a mixer is going to charge the prices that some of them do then they should go about trying to work out the royalties so that it doesn't come back to bite people in the butt. It would be nice to have a mix that is all custom pieces with no mainstream artist being used. I am sure we are not too far off from that.

I think the main difference is HOW a song or voiceover is used.
Sure, someone can be inspired by a voiceover to mix around with it and send it in to put in their music. But copying the EXACT same voiceover is kind of crossing the line.
Same with songs and choreography. I mean, everyone can use current pop songs but theres a difference between using a song and copying a team. God forbid anyone stunted to "I'm Already There" it's pretty obvious they'd be eaten alive. But they really shouldn't be. If a team did use that song, threw in a little snap, tick tock, double down.. there is reason to be upset because they did take a creative stunt.

I used to be in radio but it's been 10 years so my memory may be fuzzy. I don't remember much about ASCAP and legalities but I thought that if less than :30 seconds of a song was played it was legal to use whether royalties were paid or not. Things may have changed or my memory is incorrect though so I'm not going to stand by this if I'm wrong lol! I remember studying it but it's been too long since I used any working knowledge of it.

There's more than just the ASCAP that governs copyright laws for artists/music. BMI, RIAA, etc. Some are more strict than others, like going after DJ's who make mixed tapes even if they're not for profit...What I'm not sure of is if the people who make cheerleading mixes pay any of those companies for the ability to use their music. Most mixed tapes aren't seen as a huge deal, but if you really think about it, assuming the music mixers in our business do pay them, the argument could be made that there are still profits made of some sort after the selling of the tape (bids for competitions, winning trophies, prizes, etc.). The cheerleading business is rapidly growing and bound to garner attention at some point w/regards to that from some of the more strict companies. I certainly hope not, but it's possible.

Back