All-Star What Happened To The Basics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

lol NO she is ONLY in college and part of UCA staff (am I wrong...)?. WHY would she know anything about motions?:p
Lol you're not wrong, I'm on staff!

She followed me too and I don't get why because apparently my opinion is irrelevant since I didn't compete at worlds...

ETA: even if I did want to compete at Worlds I can't because there are no International teams in WI...maybe some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you're not wrong, I'm on staff!

She followed me too and I don't get why because apparently my opinion is irrelevant since I didn't compete at worlds...

ETA: even if I did want to compete at Worlds I can't because there are no International teams in WI...maybe some day.

It's funny because a lot of all-star coaches cheered at UCA colleges and would tell her exactly what we told her.

It's funny because a lot of all-star coaches cheered at UCA colleges and would tell her exactly what we told her.
Right! And we don't have to have competed at worlds to be critical about motions. I mean, my mom doesn't tumble but she won't hesitate to speak up if I do an ugly pass!

Every now and then, a parent will second-guess my critique of their child's skills (especially if I'm doing a private with a kid who would like to someday be at a gym with a Worlds team) with "Have you ever even been on a Worlds team or anything?" (spoiler alert: Worlds was not a thing when I cheered all star.)

Me: "Fundamentals don't change and the average coach hasn't been to Worlds, but knows quality tumbling when they see it."

Me on the inside: I may pre-date Worlds but your kid's BHS is still an undercut janky mess!

Last edited:
So I am quite excited I have a comp in 2 weeks and my team our finally starting to work as a team and have better technique.
We had a new girl who had never cheer join our team in march but didn't compete in march as she wasn't ready but flip that girl is talented she has good technique, flexibility and takes corrections quickly and fixes it. She is now flying and is nice and tight in the air it is also making other flyers work harder and I really hope we get into the top 3 at comp

I think the rub/tilt originated from college and Louisville and has slowly made its way to Worlds teams/others?

There are programs I see consistently winning who DON'T do that, though. Ex: I don't know that I have ever seen a Rays team do it.

....I'm pretty sure it originated in strip clubs. :rolleyes: There were certain teams out there where I was waiting for the poles to descend from the ceiling. Come on coaches, WTH?!!

I kind of look back to figure skating when skaters were judged on the actual figures they skated on the ice. When the Olympic games found television spectators weren't entertained enough, they began dropping the weight in scoring on compulsory figures. Eventually in the 90's, the actual "figure" score was eliminated from the score sheet in favor of difficult jumps/spins and free style which the fans found more entertaining. The muscle strength and core it takes to pull and hold positions is not appreciated by the fans, as much as, the pu..., twi....., up, dow..., twis..., we get today. I can think of an extremely entertaining lower level team, and I loved watching them but, when you start looking at their jumps and tumbling, they were average at best. They were, however, a huge crowd pleaser and were rewarded at most comps for their entertainment and showmanship.

I don't have a problem with a "sport" evolving but, the score sheet should reflect what the judges are rewarding and EP's should be consistent across the board. This is where I think gym owners, coaches, athletes, parents and fans are getting frustrated.

I don't have the experience of many on this thread but am also really bothered by the lack of technique and progression. I've seen level 2s with no back walkover/ front walkover, level 3s with no BHS but a RO tuck (what?). IMO there is no way you should be on a higher level team unless you have mastered the lower level skills.

And don't get me started on the flyer bent knee body rub/tilt/hair fluff. Ridiculous and inappropriate!

I don't have the experience of many on this thread but am also really bothered by the lack of technique and progression. I've seen level 2s with no back walkover/ front walkover, level 3s with no BHS but a RO tuck (what?). IMO there is no way you should be on a higher level team unless you have mastered the lower level skills.

And don't get me started on the flyer bent knee body rub/tilt/hair fluff. Ridiculous and inappropriate!
Wut.

When it comes to older athletes it can be easier to get a RO tuck rather than a BHS due to having more power and less back flexibility which back flexibility goes so easily. I also find your last sentence quite insulting I am never going to be a tumbler so even though I can base and back level 2 and 3 does that mean I can only be on a level 1 because I dont even have a walkover. As many coaches have said you don't need to be a tumbler to be needed on a team and basics in ALL aspects are important
I wasn't taught proper jump technique to start with so now relearning not to flap my arms

I must admit, I am the type of parent who pays for privates and only watch and record something if asked, but I rather allow the coach to do his job and discuss with me afterwards why my daughter is working on jumping in the air backwards and propelling herself on 6 feet mats or working bhs bhs layout gazillion times...Believe me, I will nod while you are explaining it, but I pay the Coach to be the expert and why I pick him to teach my child, and will not critique him or second guess him, I think when a parent does this, it undermines that coach's job to teach to the athlete...jmo

PS: Proper progressions and techniques will never go out of style learning them should never be bypass for flashy entertainment...

I must admit, I am the type of parent who pays for privates and only watch and record something if asked, but I rather allow the coach to do his job and discuss with me afterwards why my daughter is working on jumping in the air backwards and propelling herself on 6 feet mats or working bhs bhs layout gazillion times...Believe me, I will nod while you are explaining it, but I pay the Coach to be the expert and why I pick him to teach my child, and will not critique him or second guess him, I think when a parent does this, it undermines that coach's job to teach to the athlete...jmo

PS: Proper progressions and techniques will never go out of style learning them should never be bypass for flashy entertainment...

We allow parents in the viewing area only, but I have had a mom or two TAP ON THE GLASS to get my attention to ask me a question in the middle of a private. I am attempting to keep your kid from landing on her neck in this skill she just just started throwing 4 privates ago, ma'am. It can wait.

Back