All-Star Whats Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2010
Ok question, how do you all feel about higher level athletes crossing on lower level teams.
Plz be nice

If you really think about it, they are only doing what that level allows. So it's not like a level 3 athlete is doing a tuck during a level 2 routine. If you say it's easier for them, sure it maybe, but that's because they work twice as much a week. I never crossed down, but I did cross up and working out twice as much than most others on either team really helped me improve overall strength.

My cp has been beaten by teams who have crossovers and I've never been phased except for the one time that she placed second behind a team who only had 4(!) kids show up for the awards ceremony bc the other 16+ kids were performing on a higher level.
To me, 80% crossovers is a bit high but I understand having a few. . .

i think one or 2 kids are ok if needed but yes i agree its not fair for people that just got a tuck and full down and are true level 3 athletes to compete against a team that is 80% level 5 kids that have has a double full.

Kids should be competing, when at all possible, against athletes of similar age and skill level. Someone who has eight years of experience in cheer and has level 5-caliber motions/tumbling is going to have superior technique and form than someone with less experience and skill.

The notion that "well, they're all competing at level 2" really doesn't hold water. Anyone who's been to a decent-sized cheer competition knows that not all level 2 teams are created equal.

My personal feeling is that you should only be able to cross 1 level and only a couple of CPs per squad. Bowmaker made an excellent point. While the team can only perform at a certain level, someone who is a good Level 4 cheerleader should be an AMAZING level 2 performer and not really comparable to a true level 2 athlete. Heck, our level 4 teams do level 2 tumbling and stunts as warmup:confused:

I agree, no more than 25% of the team should be crossing down from a higher team. It's like stacking the deck. But some kids might want to be on the lower level if their friends haven't moved up yet, or they want another chance to compete

I believe the size of the gym is another reason some use crossovers. Example: a girl on Jr 4 basing, crossing to Sr 5 to fly, child only has a full. I do notice our teams are starting not to have as many crossover, maybe 2 or 3 kids per team. We only have 70ish kids.

if you need higher level athletes to cross down to be successful, then you shouldnt be at that level.. IMO
I disagree. If you have 12 level 2 athletes and take a couple higher level athletes to make that number higher, why can't you have that level? If the higher level athletes are fine with competing on a lower level, then its only fair that you make a level 2 team for those 12 level 2 athletes. Where are they supposed to go? Level 1? Thats a huge step down, and who says that there are level 1 athletes that could make a bigger team. The crossovers are still competing on a higher level team, and the extra practice is only improving their strength. Just my opinion...

I disagree. If you have 12 level 2 athletes and take a couple higher level athletes to make that number higher, why can't you have that level? If the higher level athletes are fine with competing on a lower level, then its only fair that you make a level 2 team for those 12 level 2 athletes. Where are they supposed to go? Level 1? Thats a huge step down, and who says that there are level 1 athletes that could make a bigger team. The crossovers are still competing on a higher level team, and the extra practice is only improving their strength. Just my opinion...
That's a different story. If you need them to be successful and those crossovers are carrying the team, it's completely different. That's what I was referring to. :)

I think crossovers are ok but it gets to a point where like @fullpass said 80% of the squad is crossovers from a higher level team

Back