All-Star Whats Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It bothers me when a higher level athlete is crossed over to a lower level team, and while watching that routine all you see is that athlete because they're highlighted from everyone because of their skill/experience. I mean sure, it's a great help to have a few tumblers or great stunters to cross over and I don't disagree with that at all! But if you're going to use crossovers, I think that you still need to give others their own chance to shine. To give that girl whose been working on her standing tuck all year a chance to show it off as opposed to having the girl whose had it all her life!

The big issue is that the crossover will have a lot more consistent, and be more confident with their skill. If they have a full, they obviously can easily do a BHS whenever, wherever. Rather than an actual level 2 athlete who is working on her BHS and working on being able to throw it all the time, and working on specialty passes and so on.

As a parent, it would set off a red flag if we were part of an organization that had a team consisting of 80% higher level crossovers. I don't think I would want to stay with that gym.

Croossovers should be outlawed. It illigitimizes the sport. However, there can be exceptions such as a crossover or two filling in for an injured athlete but the athlete must go up levels to crossover, not down. And there should be some governing body that would approve it only via a waiver. It's the only way to keep the sport legit.

If cheerleading was required to submit rosters at these tournaments, perhaps that can be a deterrent to just pull high level cheerleaders to compete on a low level team.

Teams that abuse crossing over be dq'd from competition.

I think they really need to put a limit on crossovers, but I suppose it would be difficult because there can be injuries that take place which require crossovers. But sometimes it's just too much- one time I saw a boy from a certain program in 3 different routines! A line should be drawn, in my opinion. I actually saw more than half of a level 5 team competing also compete in a level 3 team. Unfair!

I get it whenever a gym has 2-3 athletes crossover due do something they couldn't avoid, like a serious injury. BUT, it's a whole different story when you have half of one team running to warm-ups all sweaty and tired because they just performed with another team. I would assume it may be a tiny bit stressful for the athlete(s) since that may cause them to have to come to the gym an extra two days to practice with the other team. Although, it may not be much worse because the athlete may have volunteered to crossover and the practices might be same days as their first team.
I like that NCA does not allow crossovers other than between the same level but it doesn't stop people from crossing over prior to NCA and even after. Gyms will probably still have athletes crossover even with NCA in the picture.

All in all, crossovers should have limits but outlawing them wouldn't make anything better.

At our gym, your PRIMARY placement is on your age-appropriate and skill-approprite team and then you are a crossover to another team (junior team or senior level 3 is primary and senior World's team is your crossover). If at a later time you choose to do only one team, you must stay on your junior ( or senior lower level) team and give up your World's team, no exceptions. And some who do choose to crossover do so for various reasons- to fly on a level 3 team or have more confidence and shine among their peers in the junior level. I'm not sure how I feel about crossovers and the rules, but it is a system that seems to be working.

i think crossoveers are completely fine but when you have like say the whole level 3 team crossover to a level 2 team your just creating a second team just to win because it consisted of the same exact girls. this defeats the point of a "CROSSOVER"

All of these points are so true! I don't like how teams have more than half their girls crossover to be on other teams. I was always proud to be apart of the one cheer team I was on, not the one cheer team out of three. I know some of the kids probably think it's fun, but if the coaches are doing it just to win, that's totally wrong - to fill a spot on a level 2 team with a level 4 or 5 athlete.

I think crossovers should only be allowed to one level... in other words, you could do Jr 2/Sr 3 but not Jr 2/Sr 4. I feel like this issue has been:deadhorse: on these boards. We all know the arguments for and against it. I will re-iterate my personal feeling that a Level 4 or 5 athlete can not only compete Level 2 or 3 skills with more technique, but they are also going to be much more well-conditioned athletes. So, yes, it is an unfair advantage.

My prior gym, we had our Junior 4 lose 2 kids in the middle of the season. We had a Senior 3 and a Senior 5 with age-eligible kids on it who very well could have crossed over, but at that time we had a no-crossover policy. They competed with 18 for the rest of the season, and did very well. If your team is comprised right to begin with, and your coaching skills are up to par, it shouldn't be an issue to compete a team that may not be maxed out on numbers. If you are at 12, 14, 16, 18, and you can't do well, then maybe that team wasn't put in the right division in the first place. JMO :)

i think crossovers should be limited and only done if some lower level athlete/s have had injuries and such that takes time to heal

I think crossovers should be limited but I also love the fact that I can crossover. I cross over onto two other teams but only cuz I want to. However, two of the teams are the same level, Senior 4 and Senior Co-ed 4, where I base, and the other team is Senior 3, where I can fly. However I'm not a strong level 4 tumbler so I don't have a big advantage over other true level 3 athletes.

IMO, i think nobody should have crossovers unless somebody gets injured in the season. i understand that. doing it for a lower level is not fair to me. even though they r doing those skills for that level, they would obviously be better at them than most of the other kids on the team and other gyms competing against them. mainly, i. dont. like. crossovers.

Back