All-Star Worlds 2016 Day 3 Updates (monday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There was definitely a routine this weekend where a spotter got in the way of someones tumbling pass so they didn't throw it. There were two pyramid structures and someone was tumbling from front center to the back and the spotter was in the way. I want to say it was Cali Reckless day one?
yes, that dude blocked Malia at 2:06. he's completely oblivious to what he actually did:

2:06

Yes. I think it was mentioned in the champion's league commentary during BSB's routine that you only need two one-man's to max coed stunts to which Brandon did then put up four switch ups after. Smoed does 4 so it shouldn't have hurt them had they took out the shaky one...

That rule applies to a Varsity scoresheet. There is no such set of skills needed to "max out" at Worlds because there is no rubric. If Eddie only made three boys do that coed skill instead of all four, it could have adversely affected his stunt difficulty score, especially on a comparative scoresheet in a division where many of the top teams were doing the same coed skill or even toss cupies, toss full ups, etc. It was a crapshoot that paid off in semis but not in finals.

Last edited:
That rule applies to a Varsity scoresheet. There is no such set of skills needed to "max out" at Worlds because there is no rubric. If Eddie only made three boys do that coed skill instead of all four, it could have adversely affected his stunt difficulty score, especially on a comparative scoresheet in a division where many of the top teams were doing the same coed skill or even toss cupies, toss full ups, etc. It was a crapshoot that paid off in semis but not in finals. However, even without the deduction, Smoed would not have globed.
They would have globed without the deduction, they would have been in 3rd.
Now, if everyone in the division had 0 deductions, they would not have globed.

I use to tell the spotters to not get on the floor when we walked out to start the routine. Wave to the crowd, "please don't get on the floor bc our transitions are crazy fast", wave to the crowd again as I got to my spot. And they never came on the floor....granted we were blessed and didn't drop a stunt all season. Haha. I wonder what goes through the spotters' head when teams do the whole "catch the cradle and drop to the ground" move. (Like CA did with baskets a few years back.) It scares me as a spectator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I coach and judge for school cheer so I may be completely wrong on this.

I actually don't know if Smoed would've globed without that stunt (even though I said earlier I thought so). After rewatching the video, and looking at what someone else pointed out earlier, the center kick double basket didn't get full rotation, which I think is a 1 pt deduction (maybe?). So wouldn't it make sense that the first stunt would've been counted as a bobble (I believe that's 2 pts? instead of 3 for a fall?), and they still wouldn't have globed if it had hit?

AGAIN, I MAY BE COMPLETELY WRONG ON THIS, JUST SPECULATING AND ASKING IF SAID SPECULATION MAKES SENSE. All things I've learned about scoring have come from lurking on the boards this weekend and I came in with no prior knowledge on all-star scoring. Just wondering if that basket would've accounted for a deduction as well?

Disclaimer: I coach and judge for school cheer so I may be completely wrong on this.

I actually don't know if Smoed would've globed without that stunt (even though I said earlier I thought so). After rewatching the video, and looking at what someone else pointed out earlier, the center kick double basket didn't get full rotation, which I think is a 1 pt deduction (maybe?). So wouldn't it make sense that the first stunt would've been counted as a bobble (I believe that's 2 pts? instead of 3 for a fall?), and they still wouldn't have globed if it had hit?

AGAIN, I MAY BE COMPLETELY WRONG ON THIS, JUST SPECULATING AND ASKING IF SAID SPECULATION MAKES SENSE. All things I've learned about scoring have come from lurking on the boards this weekend and I came in with no prior knowledge on all-star scoring. Just wondering if that basket would've accounted for a deduction as well?
I'm fairly confident a stunt bobble is a 1 pt deduction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Whether or not we think spotters are useful, I wouldn't doubt they're there for insurance reasons. All it'd take is ONE catastrophic injury and heads would be rolling.

I do think it's tricky because these routines (especially with larger teams) have so many moving parts and everybody wants the element of surprise and WOW that it can be more cumbersome than not, but at the same time I don't know that I wouldn't want them nearby. I've seen some pretty risky things and while they're not used in practice, competition and practice are still different. I'd imagine it'd be a hard sell without some sort of safety procedures in place (not like the USASF even cares about that all that much, clearly. But still.

I think as the teams get older and more sophisticated, on-the-mat spotters become less and less useful. I'm not sure where exactly the dividing line is, but at some point, I believe they are a net negative to the safety of the athletes. They become more likely to cause an issue than to prevent one.

Last edited:
When you get to major competitions and higher level teams, (theoretically) there should be less chance of a major injury. Yes they are doing harder/more advanced skills, but 1) they've preformed it enough to do it safely, or 2) if there is something random that goes wrong, the athletes are seasoned enough to handle the issue (hold a stunt up, catch a falling flyer, etc) without the use of a spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think as the team's get older and more sophisticated, on-the-mat spotters become less and less useful. I'm not sure where exactly the point is, but at some point, I believe they are a net negative to the safety of the athletes. They become more likely to cause an issue than to prevent one.
It's clearly been a long weekend where I read that and go: 'That sounds like fun math!!' And start trying to consider a way to calculate the possibilities.

I just re-watched OO5's performance from yesterday and I legit started welling up... 5 years in a row not making finals, my heart hurts for them.
I watched their routine as well and I'm really up set they didn't make it either. I been to Worlds twice to watch them and it hurts me because they put out an amazing routine and they don't go to finals. just breaks my heart!

Back