All-Star Yikes Gym Is Changing To Curls!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mom24girls

Cheer Parent
Nov 4, 2010
So we have always competed with a straight pony with or without a bump and it takes me a few minutes. Just got the memo that we are going to curls half up half down. So I have 2 weeks to figure this out. My daughter has thick silky hair that is pin straight and doesn't hold curl well. I see that a lot of people use the curling wands with lots of hairspray but I would really prefer to use something without heat so that I don't damage her hair. She is only 9 and has beautiful hair I just doen't want to damage it. What do you think of curlformers? Does anyone have pictures of themselves with curlformer curls? I am a perfectionist so I would also have a wand to correct any curls that aren't perfect but will I have frizzies on the end of her hair with curlformers? What products do you use while setting the hair and after to make it stay? Thanks. I did search curls before posting this but it seems everyone is doing the wands now.

Sorry, no advice, just my sincere sympathy, I am so glad I have only ever had to manage the ponytail. Styling hair is not my strong suit.

Id recommend pull the hair half down half up WHILE its wet, and rolling it with good ole sponge rollers and end papers. It never fails.

Curlformers work well! They make curls that look good, but they don't look like the curls you can get from a wand because you just aren't using heat. I used them one season and they would last for the whole day and were fine when competing, but all of the hairspray just made them look a little clumpy and sticky. With a wand, you need have less of the clumpiness and a very shiny, "natural" look. If you are doing curlformers, use a flexibility hairspray like Garnier Fructise because it doesn't make the hair sticky and it keeps the hair bouncy and more natural looking. Also, don't make the sections of hair too large or else the curl won't form. Once you put the curlformers in, either send her to bed for the night, or if it's in the morning, put in a movie so she won't touch them and so they have plenty of time to set. And like you said, when I would occasionally get a curl that didn't form well on the end, I would just curl it with a wand- no need to buy your own, just borrow from a friend for the couple of curls that need touchups.

Hope this helps!

i have to curl my cp's hair for comps. i use a pro curling iron that goes to 400 degrees and is 3/4 inch wide. i do small sections at a time i apply hairspray to each section before i curl it and it last all day. cp has friends that use the curlformers and they say if you are a restless sleeper they are a nightmare

I have tried both curlformers and the wand on my daughter's hair and I will have to say that I think that the wand seems to work much better and makes beautiful curls-cheer curls!! To prevent damage to her beautiful hair, spray Paul Mitchell's HOT OFF THE PRESS; it's a spray protectant you can use when heat styling hair and it works great in preventing damage to hair from abuse of hot appliances and available at hair salons as well as Ulta stores. The wand should do the trick and the heat protectant has a little bit of sticking power so you don't need to spray each section of hair you are about to curl with hairspray, as we sometimes do to try and make the curl stay curly. Good luck-my daughter's hair turns out gorgeous with the wand-definitely worth trying.

I have tried both curlformers and the wand on my daughter's hair and I will have to say that I think that the wand seems to work much better and makes beautiful curls-cheer curls!! To prevent damage to her beautiful hair, spray Paul Mitchell's HOT OFF THE PRESS; it's a spray protectant you can use when heat styling hair and it works great in preventing damage to hair from abuse of hot appliances and available at hair salons as well as Ulta stores. The wand should do the trick and the heat protectant has a little bit of sticking power so you don't need to spray each section of hair you are about to curl with hairspray, as we sometimes do to try and make the curl stay curly. Good luck-my daughter's hair turns out gorgeous with the wand-definitely worth trying.

Do you use a wand that goes fat to thin or all one size?

hairspray and foam curlers....6 years now I've gotten pretty good at it lol I love those wands but i feel like I'd give myself third degree burns...our program prefers the foam curlers I use the black one covered in satin(or rayon whatever it is) they dont stick to the hair and don't for get to use end papers!!good luck!

I got cp some curl formers for Xmas and while I think they're wonderful, I think they're outrageously expensive. Especially if you need them for long and/or thick hair. I do prefer not using heat on her hair because it's very fine and breaks easily. I really like the way they look. I put some stay gel on the section, put the hair in the curlformer and repeat. She sleeps in hers with no problem. In the morning we take them out and spray. It's very easy.

Dry, one day dirty hair and foam curlers worked for my daughter. Use lots of flexible spray gel. No damage and the curls last all day.

Curlformers. Curlformers. Curlformers. KikiD22 convinced me to use them. I had a bit of a breakdown the first time but she talked me through it and linked me to a youtube video. If you're using them and not getting perfect, spiral cheer curls then you should watch the video. They are incredibly expensive, but I can do my 9 year old's entire head in about 15-20 minutes, and my 17 year old's long thick biracial hair in about 30-45 minutes (it's to the middle of her back). She can sleep on them because they're soft. Up in the morning...they slide out in about 5 minutes and I don't have to do anything else. There's no elaborate process and the BEST part in my mind is there's no damaging 400 degree heat on her thin little 9 year old hair - just water and gel. They're worth every penny if you think you'll use them more than this season. And they've saved me quite a few mornings of curling iron/roller time - we can get both girls comp ready in less than an hour and a half now in the mornings.

This is KikiD22 's cp. Kiki - I hope you don't mind the pic - if you do just tell me and I'll have them take it down. If these aren't perfect curls (Kiki's cp is on the right) I don't know what is.

b69b3d.jpg

curlformers! i have used those and the spiral curling iron this season and now that i finally have the hang of the curlformers i won't be using the iron anymore. my cp is bi-racial as well and her hair has started to change from my hair into being coarse and wirey underneath so i'm not crazy about using the heat or all of this hairspray on her hair as i am afraid of breakage.

it used to take me about 45 minutes to put the curlformers in because i was a little neurotic about each one being put in perfectly, in a row, with the same amount of hair. turns out, you should put them in randomly (just grab a section of hair and put it in) and it takes me 20 minutes. i put them in wet with spray gel (some ppl use mousse but i don't b/c i don't want to dry out cps hair more). before i put the curlformers in i do pull up the section of hair for the 1/4 up and spray it with gel, then brush it into the ponytail and secure it.

when i take them out in the morning i just twist the curl into shape a little more and spray with aussie freeze. i will PM you a pic of cp's hair.

also, go on ebay. you can buy curlformers on there (or non-branded curlformers for much cheaper). i just bought another pack on there of the non-branded ones. they look exactly the same. regarding the wand, i'm not crazy about how the curls look with that. one of the girls on our sr5 team who uses the wand borrowd our curlformers for dallas ;)

For those who use curlformers - do you use the wide or narrow versions? Thanks!

Back