All-Star Your Family Till You No Longer Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I'm just curious. Cp all say they belong to a cheer family. What happens to your family when you no longer cheer, due to injuries or time off? In my observations once you no longer cheer, you don't, or they don't keep up with the family motto. What have you seen??

I'm not doing my high school team this year and I was afraid that I would be left out and not missed, but it's so opposite. I always get little comments, wall posts, and texts from the girls on my team saying they miss me and we talk all the time. I'm actually going to see them do their camp performance tomorrow, well today now haha. If the family unit doesn't stay together then you really weren't a family in the first place I say.

My high school team last year was the closest team i've ever been on. We seriously see each other as sisters. This year our team was completely split apart. Even after we were promised that not much would change. Girls decided not to cheer, some got moved to varsity & we got new freshmen. We barely have the same team. But its okay cause as a family we're closer than ever. I think no matter what happens nothing is going to tear us from each other.

I'm just curious. Cp all say they belong to a cheer family. What happens to your family when you no longer cheer, due to injuries or time off? In my observations once you no longer cheer, you don't, or they don't keep up with the family motto. What have you seen??

I think human nature works that way on both sides...I am sure if you no longer cheer...you arent quite as obsessed as you are when in cheer etc....I dont think anyone means any harm...its like moving away...people intend to stay in touch but most often...life moves on....nothing personal....IMO

Meh this is hard for me to answer cause I aged out last year and I havent really been in the gym nearly as much as I used to be...but Im kinda separating myself for my good...like I would always be glad to help out and I still am but Im going into my second year of college...its kinda my time to truly find me and devote all my work and aspiration to my cause rather then a team cause...Im trying to be on top of my game school wise so I can finally get my butt over to the Swamp baby! Go Gators!!! But once a family always a family. @lakerfantlc said it best : )

15 years later, and my closest friends are the girls I cheered with in high school. My teammates from college? I still keep in touch with just one of them. It's obvious which team was a family!

from my past experience, an injury means you're a total let down, a traitor almost.... it's not a pretty sight, or a very fun experience....
new season, new team though, and we were alot closer. i'm still very close to a select few, but it was a very young team, so there was a clear set of "groups" for lack of better words that were their own individual little families.

I like to think of my entire Allstar program as a family. We all know each other, the little ones look up to the big ones, the bigs ones help the little ones (and eachother) with homework. Some of these girls best friends (even though they go do different schools) are people they met in the gym. We all look out for each other. We're all friends on facebook. So even when some leaves for injury or college or just because they're tired of cheerleading, we still keep up with them. They come back to visit and are welcomed with excitement and open arms. We have girls in college who come back to work camps in the summer and girls as far away as Georgia, Va Beach, and Penn who still come back to visit. Cheer families are forever

As sad as it is it seems like in the All-Star world "Family" is a term overused. Family shouldn't mean while your with a certain program. Family seems to be being used in Cheer like kids us the word "love" in every relationship they have these days. I truly love the kids my daughter has been involved with and still check up on them, but I also know that I have lost the friends I loved because of personal family decisions. It changed the way I form friendships now because I don't ever want to have that feeling again, I just want my kids to be happy with whatever decision they make. Unfortunately Cheer can bring out the worst in people. No matter what I still love every person we have come in contact with through cheer and wish them nothing but the best, just sad beyond words that the relationships are forever changed.

My daughter got a career ending injury and poof the cheer family was gone - devastating to both of us on both ends (losing friends and no longer able to do all stars)

Yeah, it really depends, I was at a gym for my first 3 yrs of high school on the highest lv team what ever the lv was 2/3-5, but then after some injuries and a bad coach passing through (who tried to have me skip finishing my bhs and tuck and go to layouts) all I had was an iffy standing bhs. I was moved to a team of brand new cheerleaders and we were supposed to b lv 2, by the time choreography came around I was the only one with a bhs, which had improved and I had my running(most days, bad injuries), so there really wasn't any place for me in the gym so I moved on. That next year I had multiple parents from the team I'd been on 3 yrs ask my mom why I left their team and some were mad at us, when I had been removed from their team 3 months before I moved gyms, but some how when stunting problems arose because they didn't have enough basses some parents were told I quit(that team). I found out who was really like a sister and who had been faking it.
Wow that was a long story lol sorry, but any ways sometimes the whole team isn't your family but the ones your with for a long time are. I'm still friends with some of the girls off the original team(like 6 yrs later), but for most we've moved on like said above

at my gym everyone stays part of the family as long as your around. like people come back and watch us practice come to our team bonding and all that even when they aren't o the team anymore. the difference is that as time goes on and that team you were on slowly is replaced by new people that particular team isn't your family anymore but all the staff and everyone nothing changes.
and somehow the new team becomes an extension of those you considered family.
i go back to my old college teams practices all the time and just hang out with the coach and then a kid i knew pops up on the team oh hey. the new people become friends. it's fine

It all depends on the group of people. Some people are more genuine in their meaning of family than others. And sometimes it could be a separation as time goes by. No one truly knows how things are going to turn out.

Unfortunately of course things are going to change its just the way things are, its human nature to grow apart from someone that isnt in your life as much anymore. Its been a year and a half since I stopped cheering at OA but I still keep in touch with quite a few people from the gym. Im actually in Florida visiting friends, and its basically only people from the gym that I have kept in touch with since I moved, and there the only people im here to see. I still feel like im part of the family but now its like im that cousin or aunt that you only see once or twice a year. I actually ran into my old coach Brian today at the gas station and both him and his wife gave me a hug, and were happy to see me!

Just a thought if you wanna see a true family, look no farther then Rhode Island Elite...they are soooooo close its almost crazy

Back