All-Star Your Opinion On Gyms Not Releasing Uniforms & Practice Wear?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

People need to remember that the gym owners need to pay their bills too - by not paying the tuition fees (and it is normally more than just one family, or one week late) you are making it very difficult for the gym owners to live their own life and pay their own personal bills. It's a business, they are providing you with a service, and they deserve to be paid, I have no problem with this.

I always pay my stuff (sometimes painfully) on time but am shocked by the amount of people w I do not. Our uniforms should have been paid for in August but there are people with no desire to pay them until close to our next comp (mid-jan). They "borrowed" the uniforms for picture day. I wasn't aware the payment plan was so optional!

What happens when comp's start coming around? Do they give the kids the uniform for the comp but then take it back afterwards? Or do you not allow the kid to compete? We are starting to discuss what to do with this issue because we have some outstanding balances (including uniform payments) from parents that will most likely not be paid off in time before our first comp or possibly even 2nd comp. We are a small gym and it is hard to to tell one kid they can't practice/compete because we don't have alot of option to replace them.

What happens when comp's start coming around? Do they give the kids the uniform for the comp but then take it back afterwards? Or do you not allow the kid to compete? We are starting to discuss what to do with this issue because we have some outstanding balances (including uniform payments) from parents that will most likely not be paid off in time before our first comp or possibly even 2nd comp. We are a small gym and it is hard to to tell one kid they can't practice/compete because we don't have alot of option to replace them.

If you let the kid borrow the uniform to compete in, but then take the it back, what incentive do they ever have to pay for the uniform?

Don't let them compete. If they say they will pay it off, make them sign a written agreement that lists specifically when they are paying, and how much each time. Don't let them be vague and say something like "I'll try to get it when I can."

If you don't stick to your guns, then you will start having that problem more and more often. Some parents will start to figure out that they don't really have to pay you and they will take advantage of that.

Don't let them compete. If they say they will pay it off, make them sign a written agreement that lists specifically when they are paying, and how much each time. Don't let them be vague and say something like "I'll try to get it when I can."

If you don't stick to your guns, then you will start having that problem more and more often. Some parents will start to figure out that they don't really have to pay you and they will take advantage of that.

I think that is what is starting to happen, parents are realizing they can get away with it more and more because these are parents who had simliar problems last year. It's just hard to bite the bullet and make the team suffer for it :(

Personally, and this is probably because I deal only with adults, I'd have the delinquent payers compete in a tshirt and shorts. I think my girls are vain enough to come around and cough up their funds so they don't stick out.

You get to use some harsher methods when you're dealing with the 18+ crowd. Or at least I do.

I think that is what is starting to happen, parents are realizing they can get away with it more and more because these are parents who had simliar problems last year. It's just hard to bite the bullet and make the team suffer for it :(
You would be surprised how rarely you actually have to pull an athlete.

You get to use some harsher methods when you're dealing with the 18+ crowd. Or at least I do.

Like what? I've always had coaches more willing to work with older athletes who are paying for themselves and struggling a little more.

Like what? I've always had coaches more willing to work with older athletes who are paying for themselves and struggling a little more.

We've told them all that if they're struggling, to talk to us, and we'll make arrangements with zero penalty to them. The ones who simply do not pay because they don't want to? Tough. We have a few who have made arrangements for an alternate schedule. Awesome. But if you just don't want to pay and don't let us know your situation, then I get tough.

Back