All-Star 1 Boy? Really?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It sounds like your gym needs to find more boys who can tumble so you can be on a competitive team.

Sometimes that is easier said or prescribed than done. Quick fixes rarely last. Usually the boys that can already tumble are already cheer or tumbling somewhere. Especially if you are geographically located in an area where they are many cheer gyms. That opens the door to recruiting issues. Finding boys who cant tumble yet but want to learn take time to be taught. Even though it seems boys learn faster than girls the question of how long and is the investemnt of time/money worth it to the gym to do this. Does a gym want to in theory "throw" a season away for one team while they are training 2-3 boys on how to be competitive cheerleaders in every area so they can compete at the level with the original poster so there is no hinderance on that team? Some gyms have the ability to do this more effectively than others since they have multiple teams in multiple levels. Then of course is the big money issue and boys and cheer.

If he is loyal to his gym and doesnt want to abaondon them then I can definitley see where he is coming from in feeling frustrated about the position he puts his team in. But as has been stated a boy is a boy. Coed. Even if it is just one.

If an exception was made for 1 boy, what about the team that has 2 boys?

Please quit whining. Recruit more guys if you want to compete in coed. If you don't want to compete in coed, then stay with all girl teams.

Lots of situations are unfortunate. What if you live in a small area with only a gym with up to level 3 or 4 cheerleaders and you have amazing level 5 skills? It is just unfortunate, no more, no less. Either you go somewhere else or just accept your fate where you are. Sucks, but that.is.life.

1- Im not wearing a dress, but until my 9th grade year, 1 boy and you were still an all-girl team.

I'm assuming you're still on a senior team, so I'm really curious as to where you were that 1 boy still left you in all-girl within the last 5 years?

i agree with the fact that i feel the number of boys, especially on lower level teams, that make the division go coed should be reassessed. just one or 2 boys does not really make a difference. On almost every lower level coed team I have seen, the boy does not add anything significant. a lot of the time, that boy is just another base, or another back handspring.

i can see how people argue that a boy is a boy. boys on a team with girls should make it coed. but do one or 2 really even make a difference? and when someone says that if you can't get enough boys, don't go coed is clearly not looking at it from a business perspective. why would you turn away money like that? if the gym I am at now did that because they did not want to go coed, then they would have lost 2 coaches and 3 cheerleaders. that's a lot. it's a really difficult situation and can be argued well from both sides. i don't know if there is a definitive way to answer this problem.

The rule is the rule, but I completely understand how you feel, we've never been able to have a coed team because it's just not that easy to find guys that are between 12 and 18. If one guy walked in with the best tumbling ever, he'd most likely have to go somewhere else so that he could be competitive and continue to grow.

The rule is the rule, but I completely understand how you feel, we've never been able to have a coed team because it's just not that easy to find guys that are between 12 and 18.

That's why you find boys that are younger than 12 and teach them.

@coast2coastfan and with the new stunting rules I think finding boys will begin to get easier. Not all boys want to dance, but a good chunk of them like to stunt.

As the only boy on my team for several years and several gyms, I would've been offended if they called us out as JuST Cheer All girl senior 4!!!!!! ... just sayin'

as stated previously, a boy is a boy and even 1 on a team makes them co-ed. maybe it doesn't seem fair but not really any different than a large all girl squad with only 25 girls competing against a team maxed out. that's just the way it is. my son (only 1 of 5 in his gym) more often than not is the only boy on his teams and has competed against teams with 3 or 4 guys and won. if your gym is holding you back because they don't want to compete in co-ed then i would recommend you look for another gym.

I do find this interesting because I was at a gym for a long while and we had 1 boy and it was still an all girl team. I think the major difference is - in the lower skill divisions (1 & 2) you can have boys and girls intermingled and it's just considered a Senior 1 or 2! There is an advantage to having just 1 boy, maybe not as much now as before (with the changes to the scoring process). The dynamic of the routine is changed, there is that spotlight...granted it's just 1 person - but you know how everything is swayed when you have that 1 person that just steals the show and makes everyone want to watch!

Back