1st Year Cheer Dad Is This Normal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah, I'm just now realizing that his kid is level 5. The level of dedication required from level 5 athletes and parents is immense. You can't just leave because you feel like things aren't going your way. It'll set a bad example for your daughter (ironic, because this is exactly what you are accusing others of doing, including the coach).

No, she's on youth 2. Apparently she's a gifted athlete, though. [emoji6]

No, she's on youth 2. Apparently she's a gifted athlete, though. [emoji6]
I'm seriously doubting his commitment to Youth Silver. *cries* LOL.

OP, don't think we're trying to be snarky; sarcasm is an old pastime on here.

ETA: And again my dumb behind forgets that summit happens around the same time as worlds... and skims the post so lightly that I don't notice "my daughter is on youth 2"

Boarding while sleep-deprived is not a good thing. At all. LOL. Taking a nap now.

One more question :)

Is it normal to add practices to the schedule with only a few days’ notice?
We have 3 kids they all have activities and competitions we schedule everything out months ahead of time. My CP was told she had an extra practice with only a few day notice and was told if she didn’t go she would not be allowed to compete. She had to choose between going to practice, or supporting her bother in his event that was scheduled months earlier and miss a practice. This caused a lot of family consternation and hurt feelings over a 2.5 hr practice. She is in the gym 15-18hrs a week as it is I didn’t see how 2.5hr more would make a difference. She went to the practice and miss her brothers JROTC awards sermon. He was the event MC and was promoted to Chief of Staff so it was a big deal for him

We have 3 kids they all have activities and competitions we schedule everything out months ahead of time. My CP was told she had an extra practice with only a few day notice and was told if she didn’t go she would not be allowed to compete. She had to choose between going to practice, or supporting her bother in his event that was scheduled months earlier and miss a practice. This caused a lot of family consternation and hurt feelings over a 2.5 hr practice. She is in the gym 15-18hrs a week as it is I didn’t see how 2.5hr more would make a difference. She went to the practice and miss her brothers JROTC awards sermon. He was the event MC and was promoted to Chief of Staff so it was a big deal for him

That's hard, but it happens. Congrats on your two gifted children. *slow clap*

Wait. She's eleven and doing level 6 stunts??? I'm not very informed about different stunt levels, but level 6 is for 17+....it seems very strange that a new, eleven year old cheerleader would be participating in stunting at that level. [emoji51]
I was thinking the same thing. She is NOT supposed to be doing any level 6 stunts at that age...

Yes it happens, and YES, 2 hours and a half can make a difference. It did and still does for the two teams I am coaching.

In all seriousness, maybe cheerleading is a poor fit for your family. It's a time-consuming activity that doesn't offer much in the way of college scholarships or participation in the Olympics. Sometimes superstar Susies are stuck on teams with lackluster, less-talented athletes who require much in the way of rest and extra practice time. It sounds like a more individual sport is on the menu for your kiddo.

My cps do not do all-star. However, I would not be jumping in blind and would have had a decent idea what to expect even before I started posting here. It sounds like you didn't do much research and had very different expectations from the reality.

Things change all the time in life. You either roll with it or bail out. We got our basketball schedule months ago. Now, our game from last week that was rescheduled for tonight has been rescheduled for Thursday due to a tiny bit of snow. We start tournaments next week and don't have a schedule past Tuesday. My oldest has a "dinner with the deans" at her second choice school on Thursday. I have to rsvp by Friday. I am the only person who can transport her sister to games. This is life.

Wait. She's eleven and doing level 6 stunts??? I'm not very informed about different stunt levels, but level 6 is for 17+....it seems very strange that a new, eleven year old cheerleader would be participating in stunting at that level. [emoji51]
Her one man coach has her doing revers ups and aerial ups, he told me they where level 6 stunts. last month she was working on the superman reverse up. She got the aerial up in 1 hour with him just expanding it to her. Sadly her one man coach went back college so she hasn't practiced in 3 weeks.

Her one man coach has her doing revers ups and aerial ups, he told me they where level 6 stunts. last month she was working on the superman reverse up. She got the aerial up in 1 hour with him just expanding it to her. Sadly her one man coach went back college so she hasn't practiced in 3 weeks.
How's her double-based extension looking?

I hate to break it to you, but your kid might be focusing too much on stunts that are irrelevant to her current situation and also her near future. Once she goes through puberty, she'll have to learn all those stunts again with her adult body. Good for you for helping to support a college student's efforts to pay for college, though!

Yeah, I'm just now realizing that his kid is level 5. The level of dedication required from level 5 athletes and parents is immense. You can't just leave because you feel like things aren't going your way. It'll set a bad example for your daughter (ironic, because this is exactly what you are accusing others of doing, including the coach).
She is not level 5 ready! She has her back tuck and front punch but not her aerial. Her real skills are beam and uneven bars she needs floor and vault. I don't know why she is so good at one man. Could be she is just really small and can hold her sell very stiff.

Back