High School 2 1/2 High Pyramids And Inverted Basket Tosses

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here are my thoughts on the situation. I can not agree the the comments that most HS coaches are not qualified. The reason why I say this is because I can not imagine any HS that goes to UCA nationals where the coaches are just doing it for the money. These squads are very very competitive and usually very skilled. Now, there are some HS I notice at the local levels that seems to not have a clue and the rec level is even worse. I still see 4th & 5th graders trying, unsuccessfully, doing basket tosses. Our rec squads and MS are not allowed to do these stunts. Lastly, I appreciate all my coaches because they defenitely put in the extra effort, are trained, and are very good at what they do.....Thank you: Coach S., Coach K., and Coach L.

Only a certain percentage of high school cheer squads are competitive and even less are NATIONALLY competitive. As a vast majority, to protect OUR SPORT rules are in place so the teams that are competitive and nationally competitive (if your state and school allow it) to keep us safe so we can continue to be competitive.

I coach a team that we traditionally take to UCA nationals and I myself could teach these skills but in our local league alone, 3 squads are actually not even allowed to compete, and many have coaching issues year in and year out... and at times to have the team be able to cheer football games/basketball games, parents and teaches step in to "coach" and then try and find help from alumni etc. Also, some school districts just don't have the budget to have the most qualified coaches and proper saftey training items (UCA/NCA clinics, etc) to help them progress and learn.... so Riri, while I agree with the fact that most of the nationally competitive squads have qualified coaches, locally competitive (meaning they just may attend competitions for fun and not take it as seriously) and just game squads may not be as lucky to have such great and qualified coaches out there! :)

Here are my thoughts on the situation. I can not agree the the comments that most HS coaches are not qualified. The reason why I say this is because I can not imagine any HS that goes to UCA nationals where the coaches are just doing it for the money. These squads are very very competitive and usually very skilled. Now, there are some HS I notice at the local levels that seems to not have a clue and the rec level is even worse. I still see 4th & 5th graders trying, unsuccessfully, doing basket tosses. Our rec squads and MS are not allowed to do these stunts. Lastly, I appreciate all my coaches because they defenitely put in the extra effort, are trained, and are very good at what they do.....Thank you: Coach S., Coach K., and Coach L.

My high school went to NCA nationals in Dallas a few years ago and the coach was one of the girl's parents. She was not qualified to coach them in any way shape or form other then them standing there yelling a cheer. I can't imagine what would happen if these stunts and baskets were allowed she tried to teach them.

Within our local high school's league there is a team that finishes in the top 10 of their division at UCA every year and a team that has 10 girls and struggles putting up preps. I've judged their league competition and the scoring range is ridiculous. The percentage of teams going to UCA or NCA is very small compared to all of the HS teams out there.

If all coaches were like yours that'd be one thing. But I (as a HS Senior) coach stunting and tumbling for a cheer team at another HS in my area. Their coach has absolutely no idea what shes doing and these girls are (barely) doing extensions. My HS team goes to state every year and places top 3.
We are a 10 minute drive apart and have an allstar gym with a level 5 team right in-between the two schools. Its not that they dont have talent, but the coach didnt even know what a lib grip looked like!

Until we have some standard for coaching HS just cant have these skills allowed. It sucks because some teams (like yours and mine) could handle basic 2-2-1's and single inversion baskets, but until everyone gets on a relatively equal level we cant allow those skills to be performed :(

Speaking of which, college squads are only allowed to perform high school level skills at basketball games simply because 2 1/2 high pyramids, basket tosses (even toe touch baskets), one-arm partner stunts (except for cupies which are only allowed with an additional spotter), and twisting tumbling skills (no fulls and layouts, whatsoever) are not allowed at basketball games due to the injury involving a Southern Illinois cheerleader while performing a high-split pyramid on the basketball court.

Back