All-Star Pros And Cons Of Level 6

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
What do you think are the pros and cons of competing at Level 6 (which is near college level)? Anyway, here is my take on Level 6:

PROS:
The ability of performing 2 1/2 high pyramids, inverted basket tosses, rewinds, and one-arm stunts such as the cupie, one-arm liberty, one-arm heel stretch, etc.
It allows cheerleaders who either failed to make their college squad or cheerleaders who have graduated from college but want to continue to cheer.

CONS:
There are not enough all-star gyms with level 6 squads that I can think of.

Your thoughts?

I was on a level 6 team for two years. There are definitely not many teams to compete against but I feel like it's growing. Also, we only had two kids with level 5 tumbling. When you have a bunch of 20-30 year olds, tumbling classes aren't high on the priority list! We definitely stunted level 6 though.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Cons: Athletes are either in college or in the real world now, so there are many things on their plate. Money, Housing, Food, Laundry, Relationships, Living life in general is on their shoulders alone most of the time (no mom to cook you dinner after school and take care of you when sick/hurt!). It's very difficult to juggle a real full time job or full time college + practices. You just can't dedicate yourself to the team like you used to, because there are typically other responsibilities you now have.

It's very hard to be on a team like Level 6 with kids who are in college, married, have their own kids. The commitment level isn't there. You really need the very best stunters and athletes to even compete at Worlds in this division. Because most level 6 teams only practice 1 time a week.

Level 6 when done right (well trained, highly skilled athletes with routines choreographed to match the skills of the team) is amazing to watch. There have been too many times however when I've seen teams attempting level 6 skills who have no business doing so. It's very scary to watch and I'm always so afraid that someone is going to get severly injured.

I'm cheering level 6 this year and I think it's a great way for me to learn and perform college like skills before I go away and hopefully cheer in college next year

I've been level 6 my whole cheer career and I'd take it over level 5 any day.

Pros - cooler stunts (rotations, 2 1/2 high pyramids), and I feel you can be a lot more creative with pyramids especially than in level 5, you can cheer till your body gives out at a high level

Cons - life begins to take over and commitment isn't there, sometimes money too. People who haven't learned skills yet often just give up trying to learn and go based on what they can already do (tumbling especially). I learned to tumble in my late 20's and just got my last skill at 34 (standing tuck). I'm only now just beginning to think it might be time to stop tumbling for new skills. It's starting to hurt now.

Pros:
- It's a challenge for those who wants to do more advanced stuff (even tumbling).
- It's a place for everyone, both stunters and tumblers.
- More focus on the skills, rather than the choreography.
- Lots of international teams to compete against.

Cons:
- Harder skills = bigger falls, more injuries etc.
- Not so many American teams.

Cons: Athletes are either in college or in the real world now, so there are many things on their plate. Money, Housing, Food, Laundry, Relationships, Living life in general is on their shoulders alone most of the time (no mom to cook you dinner after school and take care of you when sick/hurt!). It's very difficult to juggle a real full time job or full time college + practices. You just can't dedicate yourself to the team like you used to, because there are typically other responsibilities you now have.

AMENNNNNNNN!

A pro is that there are fewer tumbling restrictions than level 5 (I think?!) so if yo have a really cool pass like a full punch double, you could still compete it!
I'd say a con is how difficult it is to teach/learn the baskets. It's hard to learn how to do a layout full basket if you've never done a layout full before, and the progression is more difficult to teach than a full --> kick full -->kick double --> kick kick double line of progression, especially for non-tumblers.

A pro is that there are fewer tumbling restrictions than level 5 (I think?!) so if yo have a really cool pass like a full punch double, you could still compete it!
I'd say a con is how difficult it is to teach/learn the baskets. It's hard to learn how to do a layout full basket if you've never done a layout full before, and the progression is more difficult to teach than a full --> kick full -->kick double --> kick kick double line of progression, especially for non-tumblers.

Story of my life. I can do flipping baskets that don't twist, but in the 8 years since I start cheering college I've never grasped the concept of a layout full.

Back