All-Star 2014-2015 International Open Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have a question that some people may or may not be able to answer! But i'm heavily considering doing ICE's open team but I am trying out for Northern Illinois' cheer team, which was mentioned as being both sideline and NCA nationals competitive. I just don't know if it is possible to do both. I'm not too familiar with how open teams run and i'm sure it varies gym to gym but I was wondering if anyone had an insight on that!
I can't speak for ICE but most open teams practice once a week. I'm in the same situation as you.... I'd find out how many days a week your school team practices and go from there

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
When I cheered in college, we were both sideline and competitive. I practiced Monday-Thursday (or cheered games during basketball season), practiced Fridays when we had a game the next day, cheered games (football and basketball) on many Saturdays, and practiced Sundays. In addition to all that, we had to work out with our strength and conditioning coach twice a week, attend a certain number of study hall hours as freshmen, and attend all sorts of events in the community and at school. It was extremelyyyyy time consuming to say the least, and I went to a smaller school, and wasn't even on a well-known, very competitive team.

OF COURSE this varies from school to school and the schedule for open teams will vary from gym to gym. Just keep this in mind while doing your planning. Don't spread yourself too thin, especially your freshman year. You will still need to find time to study and do your homework too :D, and you will have to keep a certain GPA to be eligible for your school's team.

I did an open team my last two years of college cheer. The open team practiced on Sundays and occasionally it would conflict with the end of Sunday morning practice for college (when getting ready for Daytona). My coach was understanding, I even missed our friends and family one year to travel to an all star comp.

With the once a week commitment, I never had a problem juggling it, but I would recommend sticking to just college cheer your first year to make sure you can handle that first. College cheer was a huge time commitment.

If your allstar and college coach work together, there shouldn't be as much of a problem- except your sleep schedule and your grades! At CA there are Wildcats on Navarro and SMU, Cheetah boys on TVCC and Weatherford, Ladykat ladies on Weatherford, and Claw6 juggles TVCC, Navarro, Weatherford and OSU. All allstar and college teams are pretty successful… it can be a mutually beneficial relationship if you can work it out :)

Anything in Austin?? I'd love to cheer again my last year in college. I work at a gymnastics gym right now so I've kept up all my tumbling (thank god). Thinking about driving to Dallas, but that makes my gas bill cry a little. Would love to stay in Austin if I could.

Illinois Allstars will be offering both an all-girl and international coed level 5 team for the upcoming season! We are located in Addison, IL. We are still working out pricing but both teams will receive a great deal on pricing, IOC5 will NOT pay tuition for example!! Contact our gym manger at [email protected] or call at 630-607-0485 for more information.

Illinois Allstars will be offering both an all-girl and international coed level 5 team for the upcoming season! We are located in Addison, IL. We are still working out pricing but both teams will receive a great deal on pricing, IOC5 will NOT pay tuition for example!! Contact our gym manger at [email protected] or call at 630-607-0485 for more information.
How can you have an entire team not pay tuition?

How can you have an entire team not pay tuition?

IO5 will pay enough for both teams :p

Actually, neither of our open teams pay tuition and we haven't for the 3 or 4 years we've had the teams. We pay comp fees, a choreo/music fee, and buy our uniforms, but our coaches are the owners of the gym so they don't get paid a paycheck for their hours coaching. They donate their time to coach our teams.

Last edited:
I feel like so many gyms are sooooo worlds based now a days that they forget about the NON worlds athletes. Especially the "aged out ones". Open 4 is STILL a stretch for some, as it's still a pretty advanced level, BUT we tried the I5 thing when that was all that was available, and it's just not feasible for some athletes. It was the ONLY choice there was, so we would ALWAYS compete against worlds teams which was humbling to say the least. They created open 4 last year as a trial division, and then when they decided to make it a real one, we were all for it! We haven't actually competed against anyone this year (yet!) but the athletes are fit, doing what they love, not spending a ton of time or money, and still get to hit that mat at a more attainable level for most people over 18, AND don't have the pressure of YOU MUST WIN WORLDS and get a bid! Man, I remember when all stars was levels 1-2-3 (beginner intermediate advanced) and only nationals had spring floors things have changed so much in the last 10 years, and sometimes I think we've lost the focus of the true sport. Lost the focus of the fact that levels 1-3 are the future of our gyms... That worlds teams aren't all that matter. I'm glad they've created ways for people not to age out, and even more glad they opened Int Open 4. Now I just wish more gyms would jump on the bandwagon so we could actually compete and realize there IS a market for cheerleaders over 18 that aren't worlds focused, and that's ok! :) sorry. Off soap box now.

Ashley
If I could shimmy this 1000 times I would!!! That's the one thing I do think Australia is ahead of the USA in the world of cheer. As its still such a young sport over here we have a lot of Open (14yrs +) teams from Level 1 to 5. This gives athletes like myself who may never reach "Worlds" standard but still which to contribute to a team the chance to at a lower level and it also allows newcomers who are older to start & fall in love with the sport which keeps it growing!!
Bring on Open 4 USA vs Open 4 AUST!!

USA Starz in Gilbert, Arizona has an IOC5 team that went to worlds last year (got 7th place) and is going to worlds again this year. And our Sm. Sr. all-girl 4 team is going to the summit for theyre second time now plus their the only team in az going to the summit! And the only gym in Az w/ both worlds amd summit bids! They will both still be here for the 14/15 season. Tuition is (i think) $170 mo/. Or less. For more info just google USA Starz cheer and you'll find the website.

Champion cheer in Southlake, Tx (dfw area) has a IOC6. This year we held tryouts in October and started competing in January. We have athletes from all over and many coaches from different gyms in the area. We do our best to keep cost down and do fundraising to help through out the year. Wish us luck at Worlds!!

Tryouts will be in late August. Open gyms will be throughout the summer. Come check out our first open gym!

10339703_813162894476_3785183178488068544_n.jpg

Back