All-Star 2014-2015 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm 5'11" and the tallest girl on my team by almost a foot....it's awkward, especially in pictures. And my flyer is 4'10". My nickname is "slank" or "slanky" because I'm so tall and thin.

My CP has definitely grown a few inches in the past year... She is almost 5' at 13 & 3/4.
She was always the smallest but now she is average for her senior team.
She does have much shorter bases than her and they are known as the midget group. Her 2 bases are around 4' 9".
Its funny to see a stunt group pic because you have no idea who the flyer is!
That's how my old stunt group was. I used to base with my flyer back in middle school, too. But then we switched around stunt groups and now I have the only girl on my team that is under 5' as my flyer
ETA: not that we were shorter than her (we were actually the tallest stunt group) but my basing partner and her had a similar body style and both of them could be the flyer

Cheerleaders seem like tiny people. Even the tallest of them at our gym are small when out in the general public. Lol! (Btw, are you going to the clinic tomorrow? My kid will be there!)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Just saw this. I will be at the clinic for session 2, i woke up late so i missed the first :(

UGH certain stunts how do you reach? Are your arms long? I have long arms.
I don't think so! I usually step in really close and am on my toes. Plus my flyer has like really bad ankles so she likes when I grab really low on them so they don't wiggle. If we're doing like tick ups/tocks and stuff sometimes I'll put one hand under her heel and then adjust after it hits lol

I'm in 8th grade and 5'7 haha I am pretty tall for my age and especially for cheer. Surprisingly, I have based up until this year (now I backspot) but I was a very tall base compared to everyone else :D

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm a 4'11" base, aged out of cheer! Is it true that cheer/tumbling/gymnastics stunts your growth?
I have never heard of it for cheer but do know the delay of puberty in female gymnasts is quite common. If remembering correctly Their body fat % is typically so low the body can't fully mature and develop

What's next, deleted posts?

I'm a 4'11" base, aged out of cheer! Is it true that cheer/tumbling/gymnastics stunts your growth?
Its fairly common for athletes of this nature to fracture their growth plate or cause damage to it. I know this was true for me when I played soccer I was 4'10 until about a year and a half ago. Once I stopped playing I grew 4 inches within months so I know its possible for this to be fairly common

@Cheer Dad kinda beat me to it, but it's more your body fat than tumbling or stunting. if cheering keeps your body fat below 17% as a female, than yes it could. once you hit 17% your body will begin releasing growth hormones and you'll begin puberty/your menses. the growth plates fuse anywhere from 13-17 years old (females reaching skeletal maturing before males, so most girls are done by 15) so if you don't get that 17% body fat and start puberty before your growth plates finish fusing, you can possibly stunt your growth. this is why most elite gymnasts are so small and do not get their menses at all.

@Cheer Dad kinda beat me to it, but it's more your body fat than tumbling or stunting. if cheering keeps your body fat below 17% as a female, than yes it could. once you hit 17% your body will begin releasing growth hormones and you'll begin puberty/your menses. the growth plates fuse anywhere from 13-17 years old (females reaching skeletal maturing before males, so most girls are done by 15) so if you don't get that 17% body fat and start puberty before your growth plates finish fusing, you can possibly stunt your growth. this is why most elite gymnasts are so small and do not get their menses at all.
The menses does eventually begin once they stop competing and body fat increases, correct?

The menses does eventually begin once they stop competing and body fat increases, correct?

usually, yes.

we were talking about all this last week in one of my classes and why girls seem to be getting their menses younger and younger. there are lots of factors that contribute to the age of onset, the hormones in all of our food for one, but the "theorized" main contributing factor is that America's children are meeting the body fat percentage younger and younger.

I'm 5'6 and a flyer and had always had short bases until my senior year when I was a base, my flyer was the same height as me! Now in my sophomore year of college my bases are the two tallest on the team! (as of right now, groups aren't official yet :))

Back