All-Star 2014/2015 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my non-technical way of explaining it is that they're never "laying." as soon as their heads flip back, they're folding at the hips. there should at least be a moment where if you froze time it would look like they were just laying down and floating in mid-air. these look more like "let me just throw my legs over my head and hope i make it around..." if that helps you distinguish them lol
I think it just happens to fast or there is to much going on. Like I can tell my daughter when she is tumbling if she is laid out more or piking but in a routine with so much going on I just look at it and can't process it fast enough is my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it just happens to fast or there is to much going on. Like I can tell my daughter when she is tumbling if she is laid out more or piking but in a routine with so much going on I just look at it and can't process it fast enough is my problem.

See this video:
Sassycats

Around the :59 mark, a singular girl is doing a layout. THAT'S more of what a good layout should look like. It might get a little whip-y at the end, but see how it's much more hollow? Versus a pike or a 'whipped' layout. Some start nice but start to pike down.

I wonder if it's something to do with needing to 'hit' a certain count then get to another spot quickly, which exacerbates the problem?

I'd say most of the issue is coaching. And coaches, I'm about to give you possibly the most simple yet mind blowing and useful tip you'll ever hear about layouts.
IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT TOES.
I have heard so many coaches talking about pulling the toes over. "Set, then pull your toes over" is an extremely incorrect way of telling an athlete how to layout. An athlete needs to understand how to pull their toes and hips over simultaneously to create a hollow body position ideal for flipping in.
So next time that you tell your athletes to pull their toes over after their set, remember athletes have these things called HIPS as well. You're damaging any potential that athlete has to move past level 4 if you don't.
Totally agree re hips I find a lot of kids lack the additional strength in their core glutes and hamstrings to lift their hips properly it takes a lot of drilling and conditioning and patience to develop properly.

It should be hollow in shape (think hollow or dish hold) no arching or piking (bent in half at hips like the jump)

In my mind, the body form of a layout should look like this:

I'd say most of the issue is coaching. And coaches, I'm about to give you possibly the most simple yet mind blowing and useful tip you'll ever hear about layouts.
IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT TOES.
I have heard so many coaches talking about pulling the toes over. "Set, then pull your toes over" is an extremely incorrect way of telling an athlete how to layout. An athlete needs to understand how to pull their toes and hips over simultaneously to create a hollow body position ideal for flipping in.
So next time that you tell your athletes to pull their toes over after their set, remember athletes have these things called HIPS as well. You're damaging any potential that athlete has to move past level 4 if you don't.

My daughter has a hard time pulling her toes over in her full. Any tips, drills, different ways to word it? Thanks

Generals:jawdrop:
Instagram
That's really cool and all- but how well does that score? RO double punch whip to arabian...ending in a HS jump to stunt? I suppose it's a unique entry, but how much of that do you count as entry and how much not-quite level tumbling?

Is it hard? Somewhat for that middle girl, sure. But would it even do much for the score (it could, my knowledge is rudimentary at best), otherwise she's pushing hard for something that just tires her out before she gets to the main part?

nothing against WE, but isnt ssx doing something similar as well....
They are, I remember both teams had videos come out around the same time in late July or early August maybe. I thought it was really unique, then the other team's video came out & it killed that thought. Lol.

This year is all about creativity. I think it's definitely impressive. Much harder to synchro than say a standard round off handspring in. I think we are going to be seeing a lot of creative ltd's this season that are not necessarily "level appropriate" but that still technically hit the score sheet as they are more on the creative side of the scoresheet as opposed to the hardest skill possible side.

Back