All-Star 2014/2015 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can someone explain the 'powder puff' routine concept thing to me? The videos are so much fun but I've never seen anything like that! Is it a tradition? Are they actual cheerleaders?
At my high school, Powder Puff was a sports event that showcased girls playing football (for us, it was the juniors vs. the seniors), and during halftime, the guys showed off their cheerleading routines.

I did Powder Puff and I was a cheerleader, actually I was the only cheerleader. The guys were typically football players, soccer players, etc., but any guy could sign up to be on the Powder Puff squad, as long as they were a junior or senior.

Can someone explain the 'powder puff' routine concept thing to me? The videos are so much fun but I've never seen anything like that! Is it a tradition? Are they actual cheerleaders?
Similar to what was posted above-
Takes place in the fall, it's usually one of two things:
It's girls playing football and guys cheering. Basically under the notion that it's mostly cheerleaders playing football and mostly football guys doing cheer.

Sometimes it's in-school (juniors vs. seniors) or it's a rivalry game (the HS in the town I grew up in played their local rivals). Anyone can join up, although I'm sure they have some sort of tryout if they take it seriously. Usually junior and seniors only though.

As stated above, it is a tradition at American high schools to have one game a year (just for fun) where girls are the "football players" & boys are the "cheerleaders". The football that is played is flag football however, so no need to suit up in all of the helmet & gear typically. The girls that sign up to play are divided up by grade at most schools(freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior) and then each team is "coached" by one or two football players from that grade usually. The boys that sign up to cheer on their age group wear some assortment of old cheerleading uniforms or skirts. Hilarity ensues. Sometimes there are T-shirts made for the event & they get sold as a fundraiser for some school organization or another.

Girls Example - https://web.salve.edu/salvetoday/images/112008_280.jpg

Boys Example - https://33.media.tumblr.com/20dc17e7d30c14a85c76728a08b620ce/tumblr_ndtgokhHVl1soogk1o5_500.jpg

At my school, its Juniors vs. Seniors. Girls play flag football (it gets WAY more intense than just pulling flags), the boys are cheerleaders, and anyone who wants to do it can join. We (the boys) do sidelines throughout the game, and at halftime we perform a routine. All of the proceeds from our game goes to a local chapter of the M.S. (multiple sclerosis) Society!

Back