All-Star 2015-2016 Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So if it were to go by age:
Youth- 10 and under
Junior- 10-14
Senior-14-18?

I think that's right? I would much prefer that. Makes a senior team actually consisted of older athletes and so on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually like your age breakdown and it also get away from the actual school grade breakdown, since many schools are getting away from chronological age grades and maybe even move the age deadline to maybe, January 31 or June 30 instead of August 31st...

Junior Restricted 5 division may fit for some gyms that have Y5 who are not quite ready for J5 teams, particularly if the plan is to return this division to Worlds...I've seen a lot of Y5 athletes aged off last year (18) and (13) were placed on J4-with standing tucks only or (2 )SR5 with Fulls only teams.... True Jr5 team, particularly at WC now required doubles fulls and standing fulls coming in the door...

Sigh. That means CP's gym could realistically put her as a Tiny again...this doesn't thrill me. No disrespect, but a 7 year old has no business on Tiny's...wanna talk about sandbagging? Hahahahaha
Same for us, my daughter had just turned 5 but was on a mini team and since she is still 5 I hope she won't be on a tiny.

Same for us, my daughter had just turned 5 but was on a mini team and since she is still 5 I hope she won't be on a tiny.

Mine went Mini, Tiny, Mini in her team in Missouri but when they fielded a tiny they did it instead of a mini.

We've now switched gyms and they tend to keep it more in line with age or they have kids crossover so like mini and tiny. I'm not down with that option and I'm not down with her remaining on Tiny's. It makes absolutely no sense for a Tiny to be 6 or 7 with the right birthday, but a senior be 12.

CP is 6, but turns 7 8 days after the August 31st cutoff.

Mine went Mini, Tiny, Mini in her team in Missouri but when they fielded a tiny they did it instead of a mini.

We've now switched gyms and they tend to keep it more in line with age or they have kids crossover so like mini and tiny. I'm not down with that option and I'm not down with her remaining on Tiny's. It makes absolutely no sense for a Tiny to be 6 or 7 with the right birthday, but a senior be 12.

CP is 6, but turns 7 8 days after the August 31st cutoff.
Or, you know, a Senior being 10...

When my first started Allstars, she was asked to crossover to a Mini team and she hated it because she was so huge and stuck out like a 17 yo Senior on a Youth team... My daughter too, missed the Aug 31st age cutoff by 6 days and was actually 9 on a Mini team for the whole competition season... Cannot forget all the tears from her when she had to wear pigtails and the rest of the team was 5-6yos

In my apartment, we just started the in/out rule for our storage room. You want to add something in? Fine, but first you have to take something out. Or make something smaller.

I wish the USASF followed that rule. More divisions at Worlds next year? Fine. Less bids. Cut down on team sizes (I'm looking at you, large). Heck, consolidate an age group.

Junior Restricted 5 division may fit for some gyms that have Y5 who are not quite ready for J5 teams, particularly if the plan is to return this division to Worlds...I've seen a lot of Y5 athletes aged off last year (18) and (13) were placed on J4-with standing tucks only or (2 )SR5 with Fulls only teams.... True Jr5 team, particularly at WC now required doubles fulls and standing fulls coming in the door...
Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't a junior aged athlete who only has standing tucks be placed on a junior 4 (assuming they have their other level 4 skills as well) regardless of what youth team they came from?

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't a junior aged athlete who only has standing tucks be placed on a junior 4 (assuming they have their other level 4 skills as well) regardless of what youth team they came from?
@CheerBank, You are exactly correct...But what I may have failed to mentioned that many of these same girls with fulls and the those who have standing tucks with working fulls (not hitting them consistently) were given chances on to make Jr5 team and given a Summer to accomplish those skills 2 seasons ago, but last season, many girls did not make a J5 team or was on the team and got cut because did not have those doubles and standing fulls...

@CheerBank, You are exactly correct...But what I may have failed to mentioned that many of these same girls with fulls and the those who have standing tucks with working fulls (not hitting them consistently) were given chances on to make Jr5 team and given a Summer to accomplish those skills 2 seasons ago, but last season, many girls did not make a J5 team or was on the team and got cut because did not have those doubles and standing fulls...

So then they made the R5 team? I guess I'm tired of all of the division changes. :( Having great tumbling is great, but these kids need to have stunting technique and leadership skills. A season on the J4 or R5 team is not the worse thing in the world.

For a gym without a "competitive" J5 team because of tumbling, why not spend more time teaching great stunting technique? The benefits may not be immediate, but long-term. I watched Jersey Allstars Wicked this season as an excellent example of this! They weren't gymnasts, but their stunts were rock solid! After NCA and all of the falls teams had (I think someone said only 20+ teams hit two days in a row), you have to wonder if some of these kids needed to spend a little more time working on grips, locking out, fighting for stunts, and body control. If they had raised the Worlds bottom age, perhaps these kids may have gotten a chance to work on these things.

But, I guess the point is moot. Besides more divisions = more kids = more spectators = more $$$$

I am a firm believer that tumbling skills do not and should not guarantee you make or do not make a team. Those girls may have been working their fulls, but that is only one piece of a puzzle. We see plenty of level 5 kids who may not have doubles or standing fulls, but who can base/backspot/fly with the requisite level 5 skills and are more needed in their spots than another athlete. They may not have made the Jr5 at your gym, but did they make the Sr5R?

ETA: just read above post and sorry for the redundancy!

So how come a team that competes skills above their division is a sin, but a team that competes skills below their division is OK?
Just thinking, if a L5 team has majority non-twisting and single twisting tumbling, shaky L5 stunting, etc., with the availability of Restricted, why shouldn't they be held accountable for the lack of skills?

Back