High School 2017-2018 Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone heard anything about what they're considering changing? Is there anywhere you can go to voice your opinion as a coach on the rule changes they're considering?

I have a few things I'd like to see changed, as would every coach I'm sure, but there's a big one I'm hoping to see in there.

I really want them to start allowing flips to come braced by preps with no back, or shoulder sits, or shoulder stands.

Shoulder stands with a spotter to click ankles are IMO much secure than preps are, and it would give smaller teams a shot.

For teams of eleven flips aren't possible to be performed in pyramid at all unless the rules change, even though for everything else they do the brace will he a backless prep and it will be considered safe then.

Or, for small teams, front flips braced by two shoulder sits should be the safest flip in all of cheerleading because they're performed exactly like a suspended forward roll.

What are the chances this becomes legal? My HS where I coach is UCA so we use shoulder stands for a lot of pyramid, but for flips I have to have two people come touch the shoulder stand in order for them to be able to be a brace. It makes working flips without the shoulder stands being awkward very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about what they're considering changing? Is there anywhere you can go to voice your opinion as a coach on the rule changes they're considering?

I have a few things I'd like to see changed, as would every coach I'm sure, but there's a big one I'm hoping to see in their.

I really want them to start allowing flips to come braced by preps with no back, or shoulder sits, or shoulder stands.

Shoulder stands with a spotter to click ankles are IMO much secure than preps are, and it would give smaller teams a shot.

For teams of eleven flips aren't possible to be performed in pyramid at all unless the rules change, even though for everything else they do the brace will he a backless prep and it will be considered safe then.

Or, for small teams, front flips braced by two shoulder sits are the safest flip in all of cheerleading because they're performed exactly like a suspended forward roll.

What are the chances this becomes legal? My HS where I coach is UCA so we use shoulder stands for a lot of pyramid, but for flips I have to have two people come touch the shoulder stand in order for them to be able to be a brace. It makes working flips without the shoulder stands being awkward very difficult.

I have large teams so personally this wouldn't effect me, however I would vote to change this rule as well. I don't see the safety of the athletes being compromised by this and I think it would equal the playing field a lot.

I would like to see rules progress to start allowing certain flipping skills with 1 bracer. I think safety wise, one bracer for a flip that lands in squish / cradle are perfectly safe.

Not sure it will ever happen, but I'd like for stunts with only 2 bases to not need a spotter. The second base should be able to grab under the foot and not the ankle. When I compare to allstars, I personally find it to be easier & no more dangerous to stay on the foot and not have one or both hands on the ankles.

Not necessarily a rule change, but I would prefer a better definition of what a full up is as far as scoring goes. With so many variations of the skill and different mind sets of what is and isn't a full up, it gets frustrating. It would be helpful if all judges and competitions across the same brand viewed and scored skills the same.

I have large teams so personally this wouldn't effect me, however I would vote to change this rule as well. I don't see the safety of the athletes being compromised by this and I think it would equal the playing field a lot.

I would like to see rules progress to start allowing certain flipping skills with 1 bracer. I think safety wise, one bracer for a flip that lands in squish / cradle are perfectly safe.

Not sure it will ever happen, but I'd like for stunts with only 2 bases to not need a spotter. The second base should be able to grab under the foot and not the ankle. When I compare to allstars, I personally find it to be easier & no more dangerous to stay on the foot and not have one or both hands on the ankles.

Not necessarily a rule change, but I would prefer a better definition of what a full up is as far as scoring goes. With so many variations of the skill and different mind sets of what is and isn't a full up, it gets frustrating. It would be helpful if all judges and competitions across the same brand viewed and scored skills the same.

YES!!!!! This would be amazing! Full ups are all so different, and yes they vary in difficulty to perform, so that should be rewarded!

I think that, at least at first, high schools should change the rules to say that flips just require a two hand/arm connection and remove the stipulation that it needs to be the arms of two different flyers. I don't think the level 5 front flip where the flyer reaches behind her is any more difficult/dangerous than a front flip with two supports, and it would make it possible for teams with only two stunt groups to still have a flip in their pyramid.

Also, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think if they're going to allow flips to twist 180 degrees they should just allow full twisting flips. That always seemed like such an asinine distinction to make. I would love to see forward fulls in cheer pyramids, even if you had to do them like they did back in 2011 where some random prep holds the mid layers wrist to make it legal.

Completely agree with the partner stunt spotter rule. I think it is idiotic that assisted libs have to have the spotter on only ankle. Dismounting from a two man extension where the second base (spotter) is standing behind the base and holding on to both ankles is way more dangerous than dismounting from one where the spotter is on the side on ankles and toes. I cringe every time I see a school full down from an extension like that and catch with one person in back like a backspot and on person on the side like a secondary. Does no one think thats pointlessly dangerous except for me?

To your point about flipping with 1 bracer, I would like them make it where flips that compete to cradle only need one bracer. I feel like that's the safest/easiest way to catch and would also better prepare hs girls for college baskets. I don't think most high schools are ready for rewinds with one arm as a brace (at least right now, in a year or two in this sport, who knows), but I definitely think any high school that is competing could do a front flip to cradle with one bracer.

I have a few things I'd like to see changed, as would every coach I'm sure, but there's a big one I'm hoping to see in there.

Or, for small teams, front flips braced by two shoulder sits should be the safest flip in all of cheerleading because they're performed exactly like a suspended forward roll.

Be careful what you ask for....

Remember that anything that is made "legal" for teams that compete hardcore is also made legal for teams that are clueless. Shoulder stands not performed properly are no where near as stable as double-base prep level stunts with a spotter.

I think your suggestions are realistic in nature. If they are allowing released inversions to extended with one bracer, I do not believe a flipping skill to even a prep-level or extended stunt to be significantly more dangerous with one bracer than the released inversion.

I saw a post recently from one of the powers-that-be, that the word "static" is being removed. I can only assume they are going to allow certain skills transitionally that were formerly only allowed from a "static" position (there apparently has been a lot of debate about the definition of the word "static").

Be careful what you ask for....

Remember that anything that is made "legal" for teams that compete hardcore is also made legal for teams that are clueless. Shoulder stands not performed properly are no where near as stable as double-base prep level stunts with a spotter.

I tend to find shoulder stands to be pretty stable, even when done incorrectly. But I would think most schools at a lower level would tend to use shoulder sits.

Back