All-Star ..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe that the hotel our coaches choose to stay at is very expensive and we are stuck with footing the bill. We are a team of 36 so fees of $1000 are just too much. We are told we MUST all stay at the same hotel so no staying at the in laws for us!

What would they do if you chose to not pay out an arm and a leg and stay somewhere different?

With an At Large bid our flights were $1448 for 4 people. Staying at All Star Sports for 4 nights is $581 for the three of us not on the team and $281 for the daughter. That includes 3 shirts, sports bra and small sling type bag. Our "worlds" team works a small local competition put on by our gym as a fundraiser which usually raises enough to equal a Paid Bid. It was less this year because they bought new uniforms just for this team and we were charged much more for use of the venue where we host the competition. We don't rent practice space or do anything else that may incur additional costs. The coaches have typically felt that if we require more full out practices once we arrive at Worlds then we are probably in trouble. We will work stunts and pyramid out in the yard like everyone else.

So if one wanted they could send their child for $281 plus air. Round trip air is running about $340 at the moment. So $621 total cost plus spending money.

I know of one team that has a Paid bid close to us that is charging $500 plus mandatory team shirts. Some of those parents are not happy especially after they asked us what we are paying for our At Large bid.

Have you asked what the break down is of that $1000?

OMG! We are totally being ripped off!!!! Thank you everyone for your info!!! Time to call a team parent meeting!!!!!!

With this attitude, you may be shown the front door. Just to keep things in perspective, this is a completely and totally voluntary sport. You don't have to be there and they don't have to accommodate you.

ETA: Not that you shouldn't be seen a breakdown, because that is totally reasonable, but going in guns blazing may backfire.

Really, there are just too many factors at play. You can't even be upset until you have clarification. At a business, the business expenses plus profits are generated by the customers. We are the customers. Each gym will charge differing amounts based on their expenses and profit. If you feel your gym is charging an amount that you don't agree with, shop elsewhere. Our gym charges coach fees for the Summit as part of Summit fees. Some pay for those fees out of their profit. Some gyms charge for it as part of their regular gym fees. It's all the same money. It's all coming from us, the consumers.

With an At Large bid our flights were $1448 for 4 people. Staying at All Star Sports for 4 nights is $581 for the three of us not on the team and $281 for the daughter. That includes 3 shirts, sports bra and small sling type bag. Our "worlds" team works a small local competition put on by our gym as a fundraiser which usually raises enough to equal a Paid Bid. It was less this year because they bought new uniforms just for this team and we were charged much more for use of the venue where we host the competition. We don't rent practice space or do anything else that may incur additional costs. The coaches have typically felt that if we require more full out practices once we arrive at Worlds then we are probably in trouble. We will work stunts and pyramid out in the yard like everyone else.

So if one wanted they could send their child for $281 plus air. Round trip air is running about $340 at the moment. So $621 total cost plus spending money.

I know of one team that has a Paid bid close to us that is charging $500 plus mandatory team shirts. Some of those parents are not happy especially after they asked us what we are paying for our At Large bid.

Have you asked what the break down is of that $1000?
How did your daughter get 281 for all-star? Did her team fundraise that much? Because the prices per athlete for a quad are much higher than that...

We do not have a paid bid... I can see that the fee per athlete is $310 and then it is $500 to practice at World's for 2 hours. What other fees are you, as a parent, being asked to pay by your gym?? Do you pay for your coaches to travel (by airplane) to Orlando??? What about the coaches hotel accommodations? TIA
hey! Ok so break this down for me...they are charging each child a practice fee of $500 bucks for a two hour practice? maybe its $500 total and will be divided by your kids evenly?
So what you are saying is the following:
$310 - for your childs hotel package and entry fee to compete at worlds
$500 for practice
+ your travel fees? Do you mind if I ask what state you are coming from or if you can drive to worlds?

@AllstarObsession taking the 3k and putting it towards the coaches packages and travel would be the same as giving you all the money divided by the number of teammates and then charging you for coaching fees. And yes your mom paid coaching fees the whole time you cheered. =) That is how Kevin , Lauren and I got to everything. lol.

How did your daughter get 281 for all-star? Did her team fundraise that much? Because the prices per athlete for a quad are much higher than that...
You are correct. Typically it's $581 for 4 nights with quad occupancy and we have made enough in the past to cover her costs. this year they only made $381 per athlete ( we have 17 girls ) but kept $100 to cover the teams costs for the 3 shirts, 1 sports bra and the sling style bag. The gym has only missed going to Worlds 1 time since it began so they have had plenty of time to adjust things to make it as affordable as possible.

Wait this is so annoying to me. I get that 3,000 dollars isnt a lot in terms of covering air fare, but I feel like the bid money should at least go to the kids on the team in some way.

I've always been on an adult team, so we're having to pay coaches fees anyway. It just cuts out about $120 of cost for us. Besides, as PP's have pointed out, parents are going to have to shell out for that anyway, so whether it's covering coaches costs or athlete hotel costs it'll still work out to the same amount for parents.

Personally, I have no problem paying for our coaches to go. If they're not there, we're not competing. Maybe it comes from the idea that I'm also involved in school cheer and everyone there is a volunteer, so I'm not going to ask them to pay for their travel on top of giving up their time to work with a team all year.

Athlete entry fee, practice time, coaches airfare and hotel, practice wear and busing to practice and competition. Thats it!!!

I am all for paying for the coaches fees but my issue now is.... the hotel that they (and where we all must stay) is very expensive. I also think they are including some funds for their food while at the hotel as well.
The last few years our team has rented 2 big houses 10 min away to cut costs down if anyone needs a place.

With this attitude, you may be shown the front door. Just to keep things in perspective, this is a completely and totally voluntary sport. You don't have to be there and they don't have to accommodate you.

ETA: Not that you shouldn't be seen a breakdown, because that is totally reasonable, but going in guns blazing may backfire.
No, wont go in there all crazy... reached out to the team mom who usually acts as the moderator...I am not the only one complaining... this is not our first time going to Worlds (always with an at large bid) . Each year the costs have gone up considerably - this time was the biggest increase yet. It irks me because airfare is the lowest it's been in years!

hey! Ok so break this down for me...they are charging each child a practice fee of $500 bucks for a two hour practice? maybe its $500 total and will be divided by your kids evenly?
So what you are saying is the following:
$310 - for your childs hotel package and entry fee to compete at worlds
$500 for practice
+ your travel fees? Do you mind if I ask what state you are coming from or if you can drive to worlds?
$310 is for entry fee only...not hotel!!! $500 is flat fee for practice divided among everyone. We are from the northeast and must fly to Orlando.

Well I know we haven't been paying it but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts next year.

She was telling me the total they have spent on coaches flights and accommodations this year (and it's an extremely high number[emoji16]) and she said that its just too much to keep eating and I know it hasn't been charged before because we have a break down of every fee and they are exactly what's posted for comps this year and the uniform we weren't over charged on because I seen the varsity email design and the price is on there so I know she hasn't charged it anywhere else outside of maybe what our actual monthly tuition to be on a team is.

We also have been given quite a few nice shirts this year from the gym as a whole and we haven't paid for any of them and i truly love the way our new owner does it.

I'm curious to see our fees next year though[emoji6] because I expect changes for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially if they want to stay in business! Do they have business sponsorships for any of the additional expenses?

Back