All-Star 4-year-old Cheerleader To Be...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My mom was told by my doctor to put me in gymnastics when I was 3 because all of my ligaments are too long and I needed a sport that would strengthen all of my muscles and also because I was already overly flexible. I did gym for 8 years and then switched to cheer and have been in cheer now for 7 years. I have almost no tumbling skills, just cartwheel, RO, and different rolls. I can't even do a FWO, it's kind of embarrassing actually. It was never stressed at the gymnastics or cheer gym I was at. I can base and fly most level 6 stunts and when I stopped gymnastics I was about a level 9 on bars. Tumbling was never really important to any of my coaches but I wish it was now.

So, some people are saying Tinys and Minis should have fun and there is no rush to learn skills. As long as they don't pee on the mat they're doing good.

Then other people are saying (on a different thread) that cheer is a competetive sport, everyone should be treated the same no matter what age and if you don't like it, go somewhere where there's only rainbows and butterflies.

I guess there are just different opinions then? And as a parent you have to try to find what suits your child best.

Which one do I want? I would say somewhere in the middle of the 2 statements.

sigh...

You still don't understand what everyone has been saying. There is nothing wrong with supporting your child, especially if he or she shows a love or an aptitude for the sport; but it should be at your cp's and coaches' lead. Comparing a child to others and coming in with guns raging saying in the first week that your child is bored, not challenged enough, and the old program is not satisfactory will raise everyone susie -mometer. In the first year of cheer, a child needs to learn so much more than just tumble. They need to learn how to be a member of the team. That is essential, especially with some people who come from an individual sport like gymnastics. Let her learn the ropes. You don't have an 8 year old mini. You have a little one who could have 12 plus years to cheer. There is plenty of time for her to get there. Let the coaches help instill a love of cheer and challenge her without the added pressure. All people have tried to warn you is that kids, especially the little ones can burn out.

eta- changed phrasing of one sentence per request

Last edited:
So, some people are saying Tinys and Minis should have fun and there is no rush to learn skills. As long as they don't pee on the mat they're doing good.

Then other people are saying (on a different thread) that cheer is a competetive sport, everyone should be treated the same no matter what age and if you don't like it, go somewhere where there's only rainbows and butterflies.

I guess there are just different opinions then? And as a parent you have to try to find what suits your child best.

Which one do I want? I would say somewhere in the middle of the 2 statements.

First my post is more so about the 6 year old mini aged CP. (There is a similar thread that you-all can't see.) I would say you don't want somewhere in the middle. I think your program is a lot like mine, the coaches talk to the athletes, not the parents even at the mini age. *Edited * From all of your posts collectively, I believe you'll be back in December or January, and be upset when your CP's team didn't win and your gym goes against every good gym in Florida. I don't live in the same part of FL either. Just wait until you get through your First competition ever and then decide. If your CP is happy, trust the coaches and trust the process. They are turning your CP into a self reliant, self confident, strong believer in herself and her own abilities. *Edited*

*edited to take out personal information derived from posts in the Parent Section - Sharkdad

I haven't read everything yet, but here is how the tiny team works at our gym. Most are 4 and 5 years olds. They do not compete, but do exhibitions at some of the comps. The goals for the team are in order of importance:
1) learn to follow directions
2) have fun
3) be cute
4) get used to the lights and noise of competitions
5) gain skills

Mini 1 is similar except they do compete. Our mini 1 teams generally don't place well because they are low pressure teams. Most kids are 6 and under, with a few 7 year olds.

As for tumbling on tines, they focus on good form, level 1 skills such as forward/backward rolls, cartwheels, and roundoffs (if they're lucky). I've never understood the concept of competitive tiny teams.

Edit: our 3 year olds have a "team" called pound puppies. They do not compete but do perform at our year end showcase. They are stinking cute!

Last edited:
The goal of the tiny/mini programs are very different per gym. Some do not ever have their tiny teams compete (just exhibition) as it is more about getting out on the mat in front of people and remembering what to do. Others have strong programs where you know going in, this is meant to be a competitive team from day 1, no matter age. It is the way of the gym. Most of these teams are probably in the 5 year old range rather than 3 year olds.....
For example, The Stingray Allstars ( UCA 2013 - Stingray Allstars Team Grape - YouTube ) is a gym where going in, you know that the team "Stingrays - Grape" is going to be competing. It is always a strong tiny team.
Central Jersey Allstars is also a well known gym, but their tiny team was exhibition because you can tell just by looking at the kids, it was a much younger beginner group (CJA Tiny Exhibition Jan 12 2014 - YouTube ). 3-4 year olds have to be cat hearded more so, as some have called it & its about just getting out there and doing the routine.
Neither is "better" for all children per say, just different types of teams. Depending on the child & their age, they may crave a very serious team that is competitive, or they may shy away from the competitive aspect and just want something to have fun. All of these children though will succeed in cheer if they stick with it, no matter what team they were on at age 3-5 though.
At such a young age, some of the kids will stick with cheerleading and some may get burnt out. It just depends on the kid and their surrounding enviornment. Is mom putting them in the sport or are they the one asking to go to class everyday? Are they looking up to an older family member that also cheers? How do they handle being in front of others & performing? How do they handle their stress/fears? All factors

A lot of this is tied to parental obsession with Level 5.

Everyone is chasing a full.

What they fail to realize is:

1. There are a very select few gyms with Y5 teams to accommodate your 8 year old should she actually get her full so young. Depending on where you live; there's nowhere for her to cheer at her level.

2. Pushing skills so early leads to burn out. If you are doing practice 2x/week, privates on non-practice days, and flyer class on weekends in FIRST GRADE, that is not making for a well-rounded life that needs to include kid things, like just coloring and doing nothing. You can also CAUSE your kid to mental block because they just become so stressed and overwhelmed that they just can't do it.

3. Not every kid is going to end up Level 5. There are kids who (gasp) age out at Senior 3 or 4. Their cheer careers are just as fulfilling as their Worlds team counterparts. Really.

4. Tumbling alone does not aLevel 5 cheerleader make! Sure, your 3rd grader has a full, but is she capable of basing or flying at that level? What about jumps? Can she perform in dance and pick up choreo like a Level 5 athlete needs to do? There are other factors to consider!
I officially have a girl crush on you because of this post!

A lot of this is tied to parental obsession with Level 5.

Everyone is chasing a full.

What they fail to realize is:

1. There are a very select few gyms with Y5 teams to accommodate your 8 year old should she actually get her full so young. Depending on where you live; there's nowhere for her to cheer at her level.

2. Pushing skills so early leads to burn out. If you are doing practice 2x/week, privates on non-practice days, and flyer class on weekends in FIRST GRADE, that is not making for a well-rounded life that needs to include kid things, like just coloring and doing nothing. You can also CAUSE your kid to mental block because they just become so stressed and overwhelmed that they just can't do it.

3. Not every kid is going to end up Level 5. There are kids who (gasp) age out at Senior 3 or 4. Their cheer careers are just as fulfilling as their Worlds team counterparts. Really.

4. Tumbling alone does not aLevel 5 cheerleader make! Sure, your 3rd grader has a full, but is she capable of basing or flying at that level? What about jumps? Can she perform in dance and pick up choreo like a Level 5 athlete needs to do? There are other factors to consider!

You are spot on. As a lvl 5 at 8 parent who admittedly pushed her kid WAY TOO HARD, It will blow up in your face. #2 is exactly what I experienced. I finally backed off completely, pulled all extra classes and let her be a kid. Surprisingly after I did that she began to flourish. I was warned many times, but I guess you don't get it till you live it.

CJA sometimes has a show and a competitive team at that level and places accordingly to aptitude and maturity.

World Cup also has a mini team that is incredible. They won grand LEVEL champ several times last season. Would that be a team that I would want a kid on during their first year? Probably not. Would I want my 3rd year 8 year all star on it? Absolutely!

Someone mentioned CJA and I am writing to just say that this gym actually has 2 Tiny teams - A competition team made up of most of the older 4-5+ children and they are seriously good too. They also have the Exhibition Tiny Team made up of the most adorable 3-4 year olds. Many of the Tinys are siblings of the older girls from level 4-5, so they only started like 2 years ago...I laugh now, I just remember these children in the viewing area doing the big kids routines and having an advantage of running in the practice area, when the big people were not able to go in... So lucky!

@mamabear Sigh... I never said that our program sucks. I'm trying to say that I think there might be a discrepancy between what CP4 is doing now and what she might be expected to do next season if she joins a team. My point is I want to AVOID my kids being pressured.

Last edited:
@notyourcheermom You are wrong. I won't be upset if CP6's team doesn't win. If she's confident and enjoys performing I'm happy! Maybe we will meet at a competition? Then you can report back to the board how crazy/SM/too much I really am. You might be surprised.

Last edited:

4. Tumbling alone does not aLevel 5 cheerleader make! Sure, your 3rd grader has a full, but is she capable of basing or flying at that level? What about jumps? Can she perform in dance and pick up choreo like a Level 5 athlete needs to do? There are other factors to consider![/QUOTE]
What a great post, there is much wisdom in these words. My CP made Y5 at age 8, it was hard...no, VERY hard on both her and me. The pressure can be overwhelming at times, so be careful what you wish for and choose carefully the direction you lead your child towards. My CP 'wanted' to be on this team from age 6, and worked hard to get there. That does not necessarily mean she had the emotional maturity to deal with all that comes with it. There are both tears and triumphs at every level, try and savor what is happening with your girls right now..because in our specific experience the tiny 1 through Youth 3 days were golden. This level 5 stuff is no joke...my advice is to take it slow. Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

@mamabear Sigh... I never said that out program sucks. I'm trying to say that I think there might be a discrepancy between what CP4 is doing now and what she might be expected to do next season if she joins a team. My point is I want to AVOID my kids being pressured.

you said that your other program did.

Back