All-Star A Question For Parents

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Unwarranted Criticism will affect my cp. for example, if someone suggests she's not trying hard enough, when the reality is she's going above and beyond, it will shut her down. If the criticism is helpful and real, it pushes her forward.
This is a good example of the importance of selective attention! We have to be able to make decisions about what feedback to listen to and what to just let go. Thanks for your thoughts!

Like @MOPSMommy1 , 2 of my 3 had major injuries last season (torn achilles, fractured L5, torn UCL) and now fear re-injury. Thankfully, both are physically recovered but the memory is a beast.

Also, learning self-gratification. They're learning that setting and working toward personal goals is important whether a coach gives recognition for it or not.
As you all know too well, injuries are common! And, fears after injuries are very common, and can stick around well after someone has healed. Thank you for brining up self-gratification- we just worked on goal setting in webcamp last night. It's so important to be able to set and work toward goals that are independent of the coach and that are within the CP's control- this helps create effort, motivation, and satisfaction.

Overcoming a justified fear. For example: a flyer being dropped on purpose feeling confident going back in the air; a base betting elbowed by flyer purposefully able to give 100% for that flyer; girls being pushed into skills without being prepped/taught how to do them correctly.

I offer a pony to anyone who can get CP to tumble backwards for more than a month
Ooh, you're talking about some tough topics- thanks for bringing this up! Fear is a theme so far, but what you're also taking about has to do with the team dynamics, trust, and how those relate to fear. In regards to a pony, I've worked with cheerleaders and gymnasts for a few years now on fears and tumbling blocks- some have made great progress, others not as much, but there have definitely been a good number who work through those blocks. I'm happy to share more about the options for working through this- PM me if you want- no ponies required if we work through it...a CP's happiness is reward enough! :)

Oh the dreaded growth spurt losing skills. That was probably one of the most hard things for my cp. she didn't even realize what was happening, she just couldn't do things anymore. She was really hard on herself until we realized she had grown 5 inches in a short time and it wasn't "her fault".
I know- this is so tough! When I work with kids, it's one of the things I often ask about if they say they're losing skills or having a tough time- it's not always mental, but the growth spurt can lead to feeling upset, frustrated, etc. and can get in the way of getting comfortable at their new height.

I agree with the 'fall' or 'injury' mental block being one of the most common issues I have seen as a parent. My child will likely never do a whip because she fell directly on her head 2 different times when practicing it. She refuses to even try it anymore.
This is so tough! Such a legitimate reason to be scared. I can understand not wanting to do it. If she's feeling like she wants to work through it and want to chat about helping her work through it, feel free to send me a PM.

Parents- thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the other "stuff" that affects your CP's!

Oh the dreaded growth spurt losing skills. That was probably one of the most hard things for my cp. she didn't even realize what was happening, she just couldn't do things anymore. She was really hard on herself until we realized she had grown 5 inches in a short time and it wasn't "her fault".

Oh man. This is always SO hard on kids. I've discussed it here with flying but I think it impacts tumbling far more.

Usually happens right as my Youth 2 are becoming Juniors and looking to move to J3. So there is not only a level increase for them to overcome (and 2 to 3 is one of the most difficult, IMO), but that pesky half a foot they just grew.

Oh man. This is always SO hard on kids. I've discussed it here with flying but I think it impacts tumbling far more.

Usually happens right as my Youth 2 are becoming Juniors and looking to move to J3. So there is not only a level increase for them to overcome (and 2 to 3 is one of the most difficult, IMO), but that pesky half a foot they just grew.

Growth spurt -
This year J3, grew 4" over the summer only in her legs. Running tumbling and flying one-leg extended now inconsistent, coaches told her she might be removed from the team.

When hard work isn't enough and knowing when to step back - overtraining

When the team as a whole isn't doing well-
Some teams pull it together and other teams go into a downward spiral, it would help parents and kids to have some ideas for practice or competition situations.

Last edited:
Growth spurt -
This year J3, grew 4" over the summer only in her legs. Running tumbling and flying one-leg extended now inconsistent, coaches told her she might be removed from the team.

When hard work isn't enough and knowing when to step back - overtraining

When the team as a whole isn't doing well-
Some teams pull it together and other teams go into a downward spiral, it would help parents and kids to have some ideas for practice or competition situations.
The team aspect of cheer is so important! Like you said, the team as a whole may be struggling, or one or two cheerleaders can begin to shift the momentum of the team in a negative way. This is true in a positive way as well- if a leader on the team can find ways to be positive, highlight what the team is doing well, then this can help in a tough moment. I also find it helpful to look back at past tough situations and how the team got out of it, as well as the fact that they did turn it around as a confidence booster that they can do it again. Also, it's useful to plan for these "what-ifs" ahead of time so the team and coaches know how to handle it. For example, bad warm up- how will they rally? How will they ignore the warm-up and remember all of the great run-thru's they've had in the gym. If you can be prepared for theses moments and know what to do, they're much less stressful in the moment.

Latest posts

Back