All-Star For The Parents - What Coaches Want

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Whats sad is I know so many people who arent preparing their children for the real world both how things are done in the sports world and in everyday society. Ill use an example that has recently been discussed in my family. My mother was simply an amazing softball player (i say this because her friends and sisters will back up that statement with examples ;) ) She was awesome because she practiced her butt off. Alone. No one told her to go throw bricks to make her arms stronger. No one told her to go pitch against the fence and pick up each and evey ball she threw. She did it because she wanted to be the best of the best. Her coaches made her and her teammates feel like rockstars because they worked their arse off to get that playing time. Its not like that today. Now, you have to give kids equal playing time. And Im not saying every child has to be simply amazing in order for me to pay attention to them. What I am saying is if you as a parent want susie to be point flyer, point dancer, point jumper, whatever it is it may be, then your child needs to work. Plain and simple. And I dont just mean with me at practice. I mean on their own time. Thats how I was raised and thats what I did. I wasnt the coveted number 4 batter because I didnt work hard enough to do it and that was my own fault. But I did work hard enough to play only the single best position in softball ever: third base. :)

As far as everyday interaction I was taught if I wanted respect I better treat people with respect. I was taught to be kind and I definitely wasnt taught to roll my eyes. Nowadays, it seems as if every child has been fed this mentality that they are rockstars no matter what and I need to treat them that way. I cant even begin to imagine saying some of the things I hear children say to their parents. If my grandmother heard that, I would probably be dead right now. If I am to be a part of this journey with you as a parent, I need that respect that I give you and your children everyday I am with them. I dont want to see Susie roll her eyes when she blatantly drops Abby and has to face the consequences. I dont want Susie to talk back to me when the WHOLE team has to run for warm ups. This journey starts at home and I would appreciate some parents I witness stepping up to the plate and teaching your kids some manners (harsh? Probably). I dont doubt its tough to be a parent and I see so many raising awesome children. But it is very sad to see some children who really dont deserve all the good they have been given. There comes a point when you need to stop feeding into the childs "Im so awesome" mentality.

LOVE THIS! Wish I could shimmy your post 100 million times!

I agree 100% KRECCeer.... Glad to see some young coaches notice the dis respect that is now becoming the norm....
Life is not a tea party folks... If your child (not you) wants it they will WORK for it..... All you can do is be supporive and provide them with the tools to be sucsessful.

Whats sad is I know so many people who arent preparing their children for the real world both how things are done in the sports world and in everyday society. Ill use an example that has recently been discussed in my family. My mother was simply an amazing softball player (i say this because her friends and sisters will back up that statement with examples ;) ) She was awesome because she practiced her butt off. Alone. No one told her to go throw bricks to make her arms stronger. No one told her to go pitch against the fence and pick up each and evey ball she threw. She did it because she wanted to be the best of the best. Her coaches made her and her teammates feel like rockstars because they worked their arse off to get that playing time. Its not like that today. Now, you have to give kids equal playing time. And Im not saying every child has to be simply amazing in order for me to pay attention to them. What I am saying is if you as a parent want susie to be point flyer, point dancer, point jumper, whatever it is it may be, then your child needs to work. Plain and simple. And I dont just mean with me at practice. I mean on their own time. Thats how I was raised and thats what I did. I wasnt the coveted number 4 batter because I didnt work hard enough to do it and that was my own fault. But I did work hard enough to play only the single best position in softball ever: third base. :)

As far as everyday interaction I was taught if I wanted respect I better treat people with respect. I was taught to be kind and I definitely wasnt taught to roll my eyes. Nowadays, it seems as if every child has been fed this mentality that they are rockstars no matter what and I need to treat them that way. I cant even begin to imagine saying some of the things I hear children say to their parents. If my grandmother heard that, I would probably be dead right now. If I am to be a part of this journey with you as a parent, I need that respect that I give you and your children everyday I am with them. I dont want to see Susie roll her eyes when she blatantly drops Abby and has to face the consequences. I dont want Susie to talk back to me when the WHOLE team has to run for warm ups. This journey starts at home and I would appreciate some parents I witness stepping up to the plate and teaching your kids some manners (harsh? Probably). I dont doubt its tough to be a parent and I see so many raising awesome children. But it is very sad to see some children who really dont deserve all the good they have been given. There comes a point when you need to stop feeding into the childs "Im so awesome" mentality.

I love this!!! I watched my daughter who has been dying to make j5 work her butt off!!! In February she worked and got her full- now here in May at tryouts she threw a robhs double, a full to a full, 5 jumps to a tuck and a 1 to a full. she tried her standing full but landed on her knees. She also got a kick double and a ball up to a stretch. Doubling down from a heel stretch and an arabesque. That is an amazing amount of progress but she worked her butt off to get it. Whenever there was down time she was tumbling, at home she was stretching and doing planks. She works so hard and I am amazed by how dedicated she is. If she does not make j5 this season I know that it won't be talent that holds her back but her age! I wish all parents would tell kids that nothing comes easy!

I love this!!! I watched my daughter who has been dying to make j5 work her butt off!!! In February she worked and got her full- now here in May at tryouts she threw a robhs double, a full to a full, 5 jumps to a tuck and a 1 to a full. she tried her standing full but landed on her knees. She also got a kick double and a ball up to a stretch. Doubling down from a heel stretch and an arabesque. That is an amazing amount of progress but she worked her butt off to get it. Whenever there was down time she was tumbling, at home she was stretching and doing planks. She works so hard and I am amazed by how dedicated she is. If she does not make j5 this season I know that it won't be talent that holds her back but her age! I wish all parents would tell kids that nothing comes easy!

Congrats to her! Hard work does pay off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
If I have a kid who I know isnt one to really work for something, I challenge them. I have one child who NEEDS to be in the air but she doesnt quite have all the skills. I told her I would have my scorp perfectly before she does. 2 weeks and she has it! Sometimes a little challenge will do it and making J5 must have been your daughters personal challenge! Cant wait to hear if she made it.

Congrats to her! Hard work does pay off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
If I have a kid who I know isnt one to really work for something, I challenge them. I have one child who NEEDS to be in the air but she doesnt quite have all the skills. I told her I would have my scorp perfectly before she does. 2 weeks and she has it! Sometimes a little challenge will do it and making J5 must have been your daughters personal challenge! Cant wait to hear if she made it.

Thanks so much!!! That is what happened with my daughter! She started working with a coach who asked her what her dream team was and she told him j5 and he told her well you can do it. It went from there and we can't wait to hear!!!

I hate when parents think that its ok to come into the practice room before they compete and sit there and tell me what I need to tell the kids what to do to fix it. I'm already stressed about how they are going on the mat in 10mins I don't need the stress of the parent breathing down my neck because so and so isn't hitting her stunt on the practice mat or that they aren't hitting their motions full out. ughs

I. LOVE. THIS. :kiss:

I hate when parents think that its ok to come into the practice room before they compete and sit there and tell me what I need to tell the kids what to do to fix it. I'm already stressed about how they are going on the mat in 10mins I don't need the stress of the parent breathing down my neck because so and so isn't hitting her stunt on the practice mat or that they aren't hitting their motions full out. ughs

So.... as a mom I have an issue with this post. First off I would never come back to the practice mat... second I would never address it 10 mins before they compete - BUT, if we are in the car on the way to the comp and Susie says "Mom I am worried about the stunt hitting because Jane is sitting on my head instead of standing up because Lou Lou is twisting her foot in a weird way so she can't stand up" I would think that when we met in the morning (typically 2 hours before warm ups even begin) that might be something you'd like to know?

So.... as a mom I have an issue with this post. First off I would never come back to the practice mat... second I would never address it 10 mins before they compete - BUT, if we are in the car on the way to the comp and Susie says "Mom I am worried about the stunt hitting because Jane is sitting on my head instead of standing up because Lou Lou is twisting her foot in a weird way so she can't stand up" I would think that when we met in the morning (typically 2 hours before warm ups even begin) that might be something you'd like to know?

Last season I had tons of parents trying to sneak into the practice mat and try and take over. Since we are a high school team the kids meet at 6am and have a 2hr semi practice before competition so any issues we address right then and there. We normally don't end up competing til 3pm. If something simple falls on the practice mat its normally the nerves the kids get because they are rushed to do everything on 1 mat and only have 1min on each mat at some competitions. I just don't get why some parents don't address issues earlier in the day or the week prior. I have learned that a lot of parents don't realize that the practice mat is only a walk through for simple things. Thats why you don't hit as hard as if the music was playing and their judges.

Last season I had tons of parents trying to sneak into the practice mat and try and take over. Since we are a high school team the kids meet at 6am and have a 2hr semi practice before competition so any issues we address right then and there. We normally don't end up competing til 3pm. If something simple falls on the practice mat its normally the nerves the kids get because they are rushed to do everything on 1 mat and only have 1min on each mat at some competitions. I just don't get why some parents don't address issues earlier in the day or the week prior. I have learned that a lot of parents don't realize that the practice mat is only a walk through for simple things. Thats why you don't hit as hard as if the music was playing and their judges.

Sounds like a perfect memo that may need to be put out :)

I would certainly hope you would recommend to Susie that she discuss this with the coach before you decide that you need to say something. Not trying to be rude in any way, but that's one of those things that it's not our job, as parents, to notice or to address.

I just don't get why some parents don't address issues earlier in the day or the week prior. I have learned that a lot of parents don't realize that the practice mat is only a walk through for simple things.

I don't get why parents should be expected to address anything at all.

I would certainly hope you would recommend to Susie that she discuss this with the coach before you decide that you need to say something. Not trying to be rude in any way, but that's one of those things that it's not our job, as parents, to notice or to address.

I would expect that every mom would ask Susie to address it first...sometimes Susie needs parental support until they feel comfortable talking to the coaches about stuff. That's why Susie was born with parents :)

Back