All-Star Acro&tumbling Vs Traditional Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 23, 2012
I just wanted to start this thread because i recently watched a video on YouTube of a college acrobatics and tumbling meet. As a cheerleader myself I was very surprised by how little I was into it. I found the rounds to go by very slow and the overall routines at the end to be kind of boring. The routines were very compulsory which is a big contrast to all star/ traditional college cheer. I just wanted to get other people's opinion on the topic. Do you think it's more important for cheerleading to be recognized as a sport in this format? Personally I rather see the traditional form of cheerleading stick even if it means it not being considered a sport. Where does everyone else stand on this topic.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I see how they tried to make the aspects of cheerleading into the format of a typical "sport" to get it recognized. But its just not the same thing, and traditional cheer is just more entertaining and exciting, imo.

One of the big, huge, main things Acro & Tumbling focuses on is safety. Their compulsory elements are built for proper progressions. I am fortunate to have a few former athletes that attend A&T schools. They LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Both were extreme hard core allstar kids. When questioning it ask yourself would you rather stand on the side and wave Pom pons or do compulsory SKILLS!?

I like acro and tumbling! It's new and evolving and it's different, but I don't think it's a bad thing. The way I see it is that they've taken the athletic elements of all star cheer and have left behind the glamour, poofs, crazy uniforms, etc. of all stars that in MY opinion could make cheer look less like a sport in the public eye. Overall, I think acro and tumbling is a pretty good step towards having something like cheer recognized as a sport.

One of the big, huge, main things Acro & Tumbling focuses on is safety. Their compulsory elements are built for proper progressions. I am fortunate to have a few former athletes that attend A&T schools. They LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Both were extreme hard core allstar kids. When questioning it ask yourself would you rather stand on the side and wave Pom pons or do compulsory SKILLS!?

I do see what your saying and I'm sure if I was an athlete on an A&T team I would enjoy it as well. I'm just trying to say that 1) as a spectator I think a traditional cheerleading routine is more appealing then watching A&T and 2) I think it would be a shame if A&T was used to replace pre existing competitive college cheerleading teams.I see what they tried to do but it's just not the same in my eyes.

one of the benefits of the format of A&T is that it does go by slower and takes up time. It allows you to have 2 or 3 teams come in for a meet and take up an hour and half vs 5 to 10 minutes

Is it true that you cannot be on an A&T team and all star team at the same time?
I saw something on tumblr that said you can't be on A&T and a cheer team at the same time but I just assumed that meant the cheer team associated with the school.

Have to be honest - I am looking forward to my CP participating in Acro & Tumbling. It will be a different type of challenge and discipline. Technique technique technique.

For the summer she rec'd her strength and conditioning program and will be tested when she starts school. She is committed serious and excited. Is she apprehensive - of course she is, It is a different format then what she knows.

Will try and keep you all posted as we go through the season.

I know this is going to sound CRAZY to most people on here. But as much as I know I would love the serious, skill based world of A&T I would miss "waving pom pons" so much. I LOVE cheer sideline AND being able to compete as an athlete. Which is the main reason I do high school cheer. I hate the idea of me possibly having to pick one or the other. Considering i'm graduating next year and the school I want to cheer at fills all of my needs, I know that won't be an issue for me. That's just my thoughts on it though.
EDIT: Also, I agree with the original poster in which i'd rather not change the sport we all know and love just to satisfy the outside world.

I know this is going to sound CRAZY to most people on here. But as much as I know I would love the serious, skill based world of A&T I would miss "waving pom pons" so much. I LOVE cheer sideline AND being able to compete as an athlete. Which is the main reason I do high school cheer. I hate the idea of me possibly having to pick one or the other. Considering i'm graduating next year and the school I want to cheer at fills all of my needs, I know that won't be an issue for me. That's just my thoughts on it though.
I in no way want to discourage you from cheering in college. I just know for the hardcore skill kids often times the sidelines is boring. There are those that love both! Great thing about A&T and cheer is there are options!

I actually like A&T. It takes some getting used to when you're used to watching all-star but I like that it stays true to many aspects of cheerleading and I love the focus on technique. While the routines seem compulsory at times I think as A&T progresses with time so will the difficulty, just like it has in cheer.

Is it true that you cannot be on an A&T team and all star team at the same time?
I saw something on tumblr that said you can't be on A&T and a cheer team at the same time but I just assumed that meant the cheer team associated with the school.

I'm pretty sure it is! I don't think you can do outside sports if you're on your schools NCAA team. One of my friends is a rower and she's not allowed to do any other clubs that are sports.

Back