All-Star Advice On Slacking Cp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Could just be a phase... maybe a temporary feeling based on some other stressors? I would not react too quickly, it could pass. Find out if there are issues stressing CP. My CP loves Cheer but is no longer having fun at Cheer because of one teammate putting CP down. When that other child is gone CP is happy, but if that other child is present CP is miserable. We are trying to work this situation out and provide CP with coping skills because there will always be that one teammate. Good luck. What you are experiencing is normal and I hope it sorts itself out.

Edited to add,

Another stresser that comes to mind is sometimes we can pack too much on our CP's daily agenda....school, homework, chores, etc. one issue to look into is the sometimes the time commitment can stress them out. Keeping my CP's cheer stuff clean and organized and helping to clean CPs room helps reduce CP's stress. My CP has so much cheer time I think it would be unfair to load CP up with chores. They need down-time.

These are just issues I have personally experienced when my CP gets stressed and therefore unhappy with Cheer. They may not apply to your situation, just sharing my experiences.

Last edited:
My youngest is very literal and I have to be very careful how I choose words. "Commitment" and "responsibility" are translated into: "It doesn't matter how I feel, I come in second behind money and promises." I'm guessing since you have brought up "committed" twice, you have told your daughter she's committed to the season. If your daughter is like my youngest, you may have unknowingly shut the door on whatever is ailing her because she now feels whatever is going on in her life is irrelevant since she's "committed". You may want to go back and clarify that "commitment" requires good mental and physical health to make sure that door stays open. For my youngest, her lack of "motivation" was once mono and another time a sinus and double ear infection, but she was "committed" and didn't want to give "excuses".

Well I think we got to the root of the cause. There is another child who has been messing with CP. The gym handled it one day but then the next spoke to CP in the middle of the whole gym about how she is taking everything the girl does as an attack on her. Everyone heard and let the other girl’s mom know what was happening.

We left the gym Saturday with CP defeated and broken. CP decided to quit Cheer. This sucks. The gym owner is now being short and bringing up how we have to pay drop fees for two teams. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think we got to the root of the cause. There is another child who has been messing with CP. The gym handled it one day but then the next spoke to CP in the middle of the whole gym about how she is taking everything the girl does as an attack on her. Everyone heard and let the other girl’s mom know what was happening.

We left the gym Saturday with CP defeated and broken. CP decided to quit Cheer. This sucks. The gym owner is now being short and bringing up how we have to pay drop fees for two teams. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I am thrilled you got to the root cause of the problem, I do not believe in making long-term decisions during an emotional moment. Give yourselves time to cool off. Perhaps you can have a one-on-one discussion with the gym owner to see if y'all can work as a team to maintain a healthy environment for CP. Maybe include the other girl's parents in a separate discussion. Also, you may consider removing CP from one team rather than both teams. If all that fails, ask the gym owner to waive the drop fees.

I am actually seeing this thing a tad different, I suspect that when your daughter was on fire for cheering was possibly because she had nothing else going on in her life but cheer... I remembered when my daughter was around 11, she too was not on fire cheering and was going through the same phase... I realized the combination of school, school work and tougher grade, made cheering difficult. Additionally, my daughter was sad because she was missing out going to school events and/or parties with non-cheer friends...
So, it could be outside stressors that could be motivating the change in your daughter's behavior... I have to happily say, after my daughter started traveling and competing, she realized the "work was worth it" and her behavior changed dramatically..

Last edited:

If it isn't hurting her, give her a Yoda Jedi lesson on mind and body control. People are going to mess with her, adults will make mistakes, and "defeated and broken" are a choice. Tell her to work on a good stare with a little smirk, it's amazing how uncomfortable it can make people who mess with her feel. Tell her to forgive, provide grace, to quickly move on without giving it a second thought, and to never give power to people over her mind and things she loves. Frankly, we could all use a good Jedi lesson from time to time.

Yoda_Quote2.jpg

Back