Age For Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

vegas_cheermom

Cheer Parent
Dec 3, 2013
Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this board. My CP is 7 and just started cheer this summer. She can so a back/front walkover and wants to work on her BHS. Is she too young for privates and open gyms to learn? I don't want to overwhelm her so early. Thanks for any tips!

Welcome! I don't think 7 is to young for privates! Maybe do a semi private with another child that is similar age and ability for 30 minutes?
Also open gyms are a great way to work on tumbling. Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Check on your open gyms. We have some that are for older athletes only, and they can be intimidating if she's new and can't tumble as well as the older kids. Check if some other kids from her team are going so she know people there who are at her level and she'll also have people to stunt with. But as other's have said, they are a great time to practice

Not too young at all! My CP was 7 when she started doing privates. Good luck with her cheer season!

Definitely not too young! Tumble tots starts at 18 months, i take privates as young as 3. I would suggest 5 or 6 for bhs but I have seen younger. It really depends on when they are physically capable. Rule of thumb for me when you can execute a cartwheel, round off, strong handstand, front and back walkover. You are ready to learn your back handspring.

This is my rule for mini age and younger kids.

I think 7 is a great age to start private lessons - I have had private lessons with younger kids & I find that at 7 they really begin to show the maturity & concentration that they need to get the most out of the lessons

Thanks. Her coach actually told us at Mondays practice that she looked very strong and ready to start her bhs, so we are going to her first open gym on Sunday!

Thanks. Her coach actually told us at Mondays practice that she looked very strong and ready to start her bhs, so we are going to her first open gym on Sunday!
Just a recommendation before you jump into BHS. Make sure that she is progressing correctly and has a solid back bend kickover and BWO before she starts a BHS. At that age, they get those skills pretty quickly, but skipping them is a bad idea.

Whoops. Just re-read your initial post. Sounds like she's ready to go!

No problem! That back bend kick over was hard for her, but once she got the walkover form down she was able to do it with ease.

Back