All-Star Age Grids/divisions And Rules 2013-2014 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

really happy to see the rules/changes for the special athletes division!!

"*For all International Divisions (5 and 6), the eligible age for the athletes will be determined by the “calendar year of the competition” (Dec. 31 of the same year that the competition occurs) for its age cutoff date.
Example: An athlete that is 13 but turns 14, within the same calendar year (on or before Dec 31) of the event, is eligible to compete in that event on an International Open 5 (all girl or co-ed)."

Can someone clarify? If a competitor's 14th birthday is in January 2014, they would NOT be able to compete on an I5 team in December 2013, correct?
Looking at the rules, yes that would be correct. I believe they would have to wait until 2014 to compete with that team.

Really wish they would let Level 2 tosses do at least a toe touch or pike.

Glad to see they didn't switch around the age grid too much.

I've slammed USASF/Varsity over the years for many things. This time they got rule changes and age grids out in time for for the majority of programs tryouts. Kudos. I don't think it would of happened without the immense pressure that has been brought to bear via social media so kudos to all of you as well.

Really wish they would let Level 2 tosses do at least a toe touch or pike.

Glad to see they didn't switch around the age grid too much.

Heres how I wish it'd go...

level 1- Straight ride
level 2- Pike/ Toe touch
level 3- full basket (i have no idea what its called but its like a full down?)
level 4- Kick singles
level 5- kick doubles

obviously theres a lot more to it, but mostly because level 1 and 2 are so limited with baskets.. Really wishing those would've changed this time around...

Heres how I wish it'd go...

level 1- Straight ride
level 2- Pike/ Toe touch
level 3- full basket (i have no idea what its called but its like a full down?)
level 4- Kick singles
level 5- kick doubles

obviously theres a lot more to it, but mostly because level 1 and 2 are so limited with baskets.. Really wishing those would've changed this time around...

Totally agree, I could shimmy this one million times.:cheering:

The progression of the straight right is so important to the development for later skills. It is important to require athletes to do this at the lower levels. If you add other skills in at this level this very very important progression will be lost in order to max out on the score sheet. Do not under value the straight right it happens before any other skill.

I actually disagree about the baskets. I can't imagine a Mini 1 throwing baskets. Death. Also, I think Level 2 basket execution would be horrendous. A pretty toe touch basket is a lot harder than it looks.
Minis throwing baskets is scary enough but Imagine tinies throwing baskets.... Yikes! Most would have the common sense not to... But there would inevitably be the gyms that throw caution to the wind...

Minis throwing baskets is scary enough but Imagine tinies throwing baskets.... Yikes! Most would have the common sense not to... But there would inevitably be the gyms that throw caution to the wind...

My level 6 Tiny exhibition team does flipping baskets. #dealwithit

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My level 6 Tiny exhibition team does flipping baskets. #dealwithit

I was teaching a stunt clinic for rec teams and this late elementary aged/middle school aged group started begging their coach to throw some basket. I had no idea what they were doing because they have the most random names for skills so me being the teacher I go to spot. Next thing I know they are throwing a back tuck basket. I almost screamed it was so scary and I dove under the girl to catch. I asked the coach why they would throw that and she told me no lie "Well we were working on them but this year they changed the rules to where we can't do them anymore and the kids have been dying to do them again ever since" I wanted to tell her that there was no way that was ever legal at that age but I had to walk away because my heart was still beating so fast.

Mini and Tunis could be exempt from the Toss rule. I have a Senior squad that is ready for something harder but we don't have the tumbling we need to move to Level 3 :(

Mini and Tunis could be exempt from the Toss rule. I have a Senior squad that is ready for something harder but we don't have the tumbling we need to move to Level 3 :(

No rule that says you can not practice a higher skill you just cant compete it. No reason for your athletes to get bored in this area.

I actually disagree about the baskets. I can't imagine a Mini 1 throwing baskets. Death. Also, I think Level 2 basket execution would be horrendous. A pretty toe touch basket is a lot harder than it looks.
I mean you could always make the straight rides at level 1 just allowed for seniors and juniors.

Back