College All Star Cheer + College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
Hey everyone,
I'm a senior in high school and I just sent all my college apps. I've been planning to cheer in college, but being on a level 3 team I'm not ready to give up my dream of competing at worlds. Has anyone done all star cheer while their in college? What about both college cheer and all star? How did you balance it? And with which programs did you cheer? Thanks so much!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I can give you my CP's perspective on cheering allstar, college sports teams, and college competition team all while majoring in nursing at a big college cheer school:
It takes a lot of organization, time management skills, dedication, and of course, sacrifice.
She's a B+ student while practicing approx 16-24 hours a week and taking a course load of 15-16 hours a semester.
She is required to stay at school to practice and cheer games until 'released' for breaks.
She has to give up vacations and breaks to fully commit to her programs that she cheers for.
She doesn't get to come home as much as she would like to, but we do make frequent visits to her at college to spend time with her when she can't get away.
She attends and volunteers at community service events and appearances through college cheerleading and finds it thoroughly rewarding.
She teaches a few cheer camps a summer for income because there is no way for her to work, study her nursing course load, and cheer at the same time-she is totally dependent on us for all expenses.
She took extra classes over the summer (a full time summer load) to plan ahead to lighten her load to tryout and hopefully become a member of team USA this spring- yes, that would make her cheering allstar, college games, college competition, and team USA.

Now that may sound all negative, but let me tell you, she left for an out of state college as a 17 year old student (she has a late September birthday), living 6 hours away and has developed into a very self-assured, responsible, reliable, dedicated, and amazing young lady. She has grown up and adjusted so well in the last 2 years. It has made her a better person and a much better daughter, sibling and friend.
She loves her life and loves what she is doing with it. She often tells people that she couldn't imagine her life any other way and wouldn't want to do it any differently. She is such a happy, satisfied, pleasant young lady, with obvious career goals in mind, and says 'I'm having the time of my life, doing what I love doing and have basically dreamed of doing for half of my life, among some great friends, all while training for a rewarding career. Who could ask for more?'

My point is, it can be done, and by her account, it is all worth it, but motivation, hard work, late nights, and sacrifices are a major part of it.
I suggest doing some research into the requirements of your intended major, the commitment you must give in order to cheer allstar and college at the school you think would be a good fit for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can give you my CP's perspective on cheering allstar, college sports teams, and college competition team all while majoring in nursing at a big college cheer school:
It takes a lot of organization, time management skills, dedication, and of course, sacrifice.
She's a B+ student while practicing approx 16-24 hours a week and taking a course load of 15-16 hours a semester.
She is required to stay at school to practice and cheer games until 'released' for breaks.
She has to give up vacations and breaks to fully commit to her programs that she cheers for.
She doesn't get to come home as much as she would like to, but we do make frequent visits to her at college to spend time with her when she can't get away.
She attends and volunteers at community service events and appearances through college cheerleading and finds it thoroughly rewarding.
She teaches a few cheer camps a summer for income because there is no way for her to work, study her nursing course load, and cheer at the same time-she is totally dependent on us for all expenses.
She took extra classes over the summer (a full time summer load) to plan ahead to lighten her load to tryout and hopefully become a member of team USA this spring- yes, that would make her cheering allstar, college games, college competition, and team USA.

Now that may sound all negative, but let me tell you, she left for an out of state college as a 17 year old student (she has a late September birthday), living 6 hours away and has developed into a very self-assured, responsible, reliable, dedicated, and amazing young lady. She has grown up and adjusted so well in the last 2 years. It has made her a better person and a much better daughter, sibling and friend.
She loves her life and loves what she is doing with it. She often tells people that she couldn't imagine her life any other way and wouldn't want to do it any differently. She is such a happy, satisfied, pleasant young lady, with obvious career goals in mind, and says 'I'm having the time of my life, doing what I love doing and have basically dreamed of doing for half of my life, among some great friends, all while training for a rewarding career. Who could ask for more?'

My point is, it can be done, and by her account, it is all worth it, but motivation, hard work, late nights, and sacrifices are a major part of it.
I suggest doing some research into the requirements of your intended major, the commitment you must give in order to cheer allstar and college at the school you think would be a good fit for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for all of this information. Your CP is clearly very hardworking and dedicated, which is awesome. I appreciate the advice!

I did both my junior and senior year of college (the first time I had every done all-star). I decided to take a break from college cheer after Daytona my sophomore year, it was just too big of a commitment as a CompSci major, so I joined an open team which was a much smaller time commitment. Anyway, but October I was missing my college team and was able to re-join the team. I ended up doing the same thing my senior year too because there was just no way I could get two weeks off from my full time summer internship to do pre-camp and camp with my college team.

So anyway, I made it work, but I had coaches who were understanding. I ended up going to a travel comp in Florida a few weeks before Daytona, and fortunately my coaches were okay with that.

It also took a lot of organization on my part to make sure I had all of my work done before practice. I never went back to my room between classes, I always went to the library to do my homework and occasionally had some late nights.

My advice would be to start off not doing both. Do one and then add the other once you're comfortable with the commitment.

I did both my junior and senior year of college (the first time I had every done all-star). I decided to take a break from college cheer after Daytona my sophomore year, it was just too big of a commitment as a CompSci major, so I joined an open team which was a much smaller time commitment. Anyway, but October I was missing my college team and was able to re-join the team. I ended up doing the same thing my senior year too because there was just no way I could get two weeks off from my full time summer internship to do pre-camp and camp with my college team.

So anyway, I made it work, but I had coaches who were understanding. I ended up going to a travel comp in Florida a few weeks before Daytona, and fortunately my coaches were okay with that.

It also took a lot of organization on my part to make sure I had all of my work done before practice. I never went back to my room between classes, I always went to the library to do my homework and occasionally had some late nights.

My advice would be to start off not doing both. Do one and then add the other once you're comfortable with the commitment.
Yeah I'm definitely going to have to manage my time. If I do remember correctly, didn't you go to UMass? If not sorry haha

I just have a question to add to this.... what kind of teams can you join in an all-star setting once you're in college? I want to cheer with a gym and go to worlds but can i still do that in college? I felt like my question applied to this thread. If it doesn't i'm sorry i'm new ! :(

I just have a question to add to this.... what kind of teams can you join in an all-star setting once you're in college? I want to cheer with a gym and go to worlds but can i still do that in college? I felt like my question applied to this thread. If it doesn't i'm sorry i'm new ! :(
well depending on age, you could still do senior 5 your first year of college. open teams are the teams you can be on if you aged out (but you can still do open and be of age for senior)

Back