All-Star All Star Tumbling/ Tumbling Class

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I'm interested on how most gyms do their tumbling for their all star teams? Do you have each family pick a class that fits their schedule which is not just filled with all stars, but with other recreational students or is there a team tumbling class separate from regular recreational students. Also how big is each of the classes compared to how many instructors?

We have three tracks for tumbling. One for just power tumbling, one for recreational tumbling and one for all stars. Athletes can choose whichever class they like that they are skill qualified for. Lower level classes are maxed at 6:1. Level 2 and above are 8:1. Our classes usually stay full with a waiting list. Classes are 55 minutes each. Allows the instructor 5 minutes to dismiss class, meet a parent or two and get ready for next class.

Athletes are evaluated at the end of each session to see what class they should register for next. Instructors are also evaluated to see of they should retain that same class, get additional classes, or have their classes adjusted accordingly. Families get to pick the appropriate Level Tumbling Class and register online or their preferred class. It works great for us. Now if we can add one more quality tumbling instructor we could add a few more classes.

We have three tracks for tumbling. One for just power tumbling, one for recreational tumbling and one for all stars. Athletes can choose whichever class they like that they are skill qualified for. Lower level classes are maxed at 6:1. Level 2 and above are 8:1. Our classes usually stay full with a waiting list. Classes are 55 minutes each. Allows the instructor 5 minutes to dismiss class, meet a parent or two and get ready for next class.

Athletes are evaluated at the end of each session to see what class they should register for next. Instructors are also evaluated to see of they should retain that same class, get additional classes, or have their classes adjusted accordingly. Families get to pick the appropriate Level Tumbling Class and register online or their preferred class. It works great for us. Now if we can add one more quality tumbling instructor we could add a few more classes.

Great information!! Do your all star athletes often pick the recreational track or do most pick the all star tumbling track?

Ours is more like the first option you said. It's an hour long class open to anyone (Allstar kids are free, other pay $8) any age, all levels. We split off and rotate around three areas, tumble track, stations, and floor, for 15 minutes each. We stretch for 15 at the beginning and the class is 1 hour

Great information!! Do your all star athletes often pick the recreational track or do most pick the all star tumbling track?

The majority of times the All Star athletes take the All Star track. The recreational athletes go back and forth. Their track/progressions are modified to more fit their needs than the needs of All Star.

Our gym has tumbling on mondays for all of the all-star teams. Levels 1 and 2 go at 6:30 and 3,4,&5 go at 7:30. Our gym also offers a rec tumbling class that is open to anyone who wants to tumble but isn't on a team there, although I know a couple of athletes who take rec tumbling in addition to the required all-star because they might be very behind on skills or whatever the case may be.

Each team has a one hour tumbling spot that is not open to any other kids, and then additional classes throughout the week for rec kids and/or any kids that simply cannot make their normal team tumbling times. This gives team kids a chance to make up a class if they missed, or fit it around their schedule. We also have a handful of kids that come to another team tumbling if they are above and beyond their team requirements (nine year olds with tucks can go to our senior level 3 tumbling instead of their junior 2). This works well for us, and usually allows teams to be together to work on passes with a partner if they are synced in the routine. I have also been guilty of making my seniors throw their running tumbling and openings at tumbling practice when I'm feeling froggy and want to make them mad at me. :D

Our gym offers 5 different 1.5-hour all-star tumbling sessions each week. All-stars on any team can come to any of the sessions. There is no required tumbling, but it's suggested to come to at least 3 per month.

If I had a chance to work for Yoda, take it definitely would I. You guys have an awesome game plan :)

If I had a chance to work for Yoda, take it definitely would I. You guys have an awesome game plan :)

Thanks. :) I am grateful to have management that lets us do what we need to do in order to give them the product they are looking for. It is a plan and we work hard on executing it properly. That is where it takes all staff to be able to see the bigger vision than just what they are currently teaching. The Level 1 and 2 coaches, instructors are more valuable than the Level 5 because if they don't set the foundation right, the rest will be hindered. Plus if they don't get that level athlete to love it, there goes your athlete retention out the door.

Each team has a one hour tumbling spot that is not open to any other kids, and then additional classes throughout the week for rec kids and/or any kids that simply cannot make their normal team tumbling times. This gives team kids a chance to make up a class if they missed, or fit it around their schedule. We also have a handful of kids that come to another team tumbling if they are above and beyond their team requirements (nine year olds with tucks can go to our senior level 3 tumbling instead of their junior 2). This works well for us, and usually allows teams to be together to work on passes with a partner if they are synced in the routine. I have also been guilty of making my seniors throw their running tumbling and openings at tumbling practice when I'm feeling froggy and want to make them mad at me. :D

Great information. So are all of your teams completely skilled based. Do you have any kids on higher level teams who don't have level appropriate tumbling? Do they attend other level tumbling sessions?

5:30-6:30 10$ pay as you go, all levels offered everyday. I have plenty of instructors so I have the freedom to adjust instructors if one level is larger than the other on any given day. Level 5 teams are required to come once a week, all other levels are encouraged to attend as well. Simple to run, easy to direct, and profitable!

@yojaehs - I love the simplicity of your system even though I don't think it would work for us with spacing and early team practices. We might can adopt it during the summer if need be, especially if we drop the evaluation aspect for summer only. About how many attend these sessions each day?

This year we structured our teams differently. We really put the focus on tumbling. As a small gym, we never had the luxury of having a full time dedicated tumbling instructor. So we took the leap and hired a Tumbling Director. Our teams practice 2 times per week. Their weekday practice is a 1 1/2 hour tumbling practice and their weekend practice is a 2 1/2 hour practice. The Senior 4 tumbles twice a week and practices for 3 hours on the weekend. It's been so great for our kids!!!

We also offer classes everyday (levels 1-2) and on weekends for all outside kids plus our own kids at a discounted rate. Our athletes can take tumbling classes for $5 (1 hour classes).

Back