Allstar Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 23, 2012
I've only been cheering for less than a year but I really want to be on an allstar team. I don't have the skills to be on a Senior team or any good team actually, so should I just go with high school cheer?
I live in Los Angeles and the closest gym is around 30 minutes away from me, and I wouldn't want to drive half an hour to practice every day. (Currently my practice room is only a mile away.)
I looked up some gyms in LA but all of them sort of seem to suck. The only good one is California Allstars in Ventura and that's like an hour away from me. And they are a very elite team so I probably wouldn't be able to even make a team there.
Should I even try out for allstar cheer?

I've only been cheering for less than a year but I really want to be on an allstar team. I don't have the skills to be on a Senior team or any good team actually, so should I just go with high school cheer?
I live in Los Angeles and the closest gym is around 30 minutes away from me, and I wouldn't want to drive half an hour to practice every day. (Currently my practice room is only a mile away.)
I looked up some gyms in LA but all of them sort of seem to suck. The only good one is California Allstars in Ventura and that's like an hour away from me. And they are a very elite team so I probably wouldn't be able to even make a team there.

You should at least visit a couple of gyms and talk to the owners. You won't know if you don't go.

I'm sure even Cali has a senior 1 (beginner) team. Everyone starts somewhere. My daughter started cheer with only a cartwheel. IMHO, it is never too late to chase your dreams. I teach horse jumping lessons to 50+ year old women who never got the chance to try before because life can just get in the way. You can do it! Also, just because its not a big gym does not mean it sucks. Our program is very small (35 girls total) but we are based out of a very well respected gymnastics facility so the fundamentals they teach are excellent and it shows in the girls technique on the mat. Might not hurt to get your feet wet somewhere small and see what it's like. Cali isn't for everyone.

If i'm not mistaken, they have a senior 1 or 2 team. And they will never turn someone down. You always make a team.

I think you should try out for allstar. It may seem intimidating at first, but trying out for allstar was the best decision I ever made. You gain so much from the experience. You learn how to believe in yourself, and how to trust others and work as a team. But most importantly, you gain relationships. I would not give up the relationships I have gained from cheerleading for anything. The girls I cheer with are more than just teammates, they are my family. Whenever we aren't at practice, we are hanging out together outside of the gym. I know I can go to them for anything, and they will always have my back. I truly do not know where I would be today without the sisters I have gained from cheer.

I think you should definitely try out for allstar! Look into local gyms - Cali is great, but if you can find something closer it's obviously more convenient. A bigger gym isn't always better! I'd say to look into the gyms that are close to you. Find out if they have a senior/junior (if you're in that age group?) 1 team. If they don't then you may have to look more at Cali which probably has a level 1 team for you. If you find a gym with a L1 team for you, ask if you can sit in on a practice to see how its run, take some classes to see if you like the gym, etc. This'll help you gauge if the gym is a good fit for you! If not you can always look at the others.
Joining allstar is one of the best decisions I've ever made. You become a real family with your team and I've made so many lasting friendships. It's a ton of fun! Good luck! Hope you find a gym that fits you!

I'm probably mistaken, but I've never heard of a gym where someone just doesn't make a team. No matter what gym you choose, they'll put you on your respective team, I promise!
And it might seem like a ways away to drive 30 minutes, but sometimes you gotta do things like that to get the experience you're looking for. When I cheered for CEA, I only had about a 5-10 minute drive. With my new gym, I've got a 30-40 minute drive, but I wouldn't change gyms if the world depended on it.
What I'm trying to say, is you have to find the right fit for you, and that might require a longer drive!

I know a gym, that turned away people from a mini team haha... This gym is now failing

Definitely go visit. Not sure where you live exactly but there is SCV in Valencia, cheer force is Simi Valley, west coast rush in chatsworth. All great programs worth looking into.

I agree with most.. If it is something you wnt to do than do it. What is the worst that can happen.

Visit some gyms and get a feel for them.

Attend a open gym or two. Talk to the cheerleaders

You could talk to the owner and have them assess your skills and they will guide you for what would be the best for you.

When you make a team, commit to the team.

There are some first time all star cheer leaders on my daughter's team, they are on an "all star prep" squad, maybe you could inquire if any of your local gyms have something similar. Good luck!

I think once you start poking around here you'll find a 30 minute drive is pretty typical. Especially if practice is 2+ hours long-it makes it worth it.

my gym is 30 minutes away and if you're parents are willing to drive you it won't be that big of a deal. if i lived close enough to cali allstars i would DEFINITELY cheer there. as for not having the skills, start out on a senior 1 team and work your butt off to get your tumbling. :)

Back