Allstar Level Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 11, 2014
Hi ALL!

I am completely new to cheer. My daughter is 7 and recently made an all star mini level 2 team after just starting cheer in January (She did competitive gymnastics prior to this for 2 years so she has tumbling skills).

The problem is our gym has 2 separate locations. The main gym which has over 13 teams but is over an hour away because of traffic. Then the smaller gym which only has a junior level 2 and a youth level 1 (both undefeated last year and is only 20 minutes from home.

We were placed onto a mini level 2 at the large gym (1 hour away) where she will be a base.

We then spoke to the coach at our smaller gym and he stated he has no more room for the J-2 team and is actually cutting several people BUT if we wanted he would love to have her on his youth 1 team as the center flyer.

She prefers to be a flyer but does not want to be on an "easier" team. She has just recently moved up in her tumbling class to learn her running tucks.

Obviously driving wise (we live in Houston,TX) the closer level 1 team would be best.

SO my question...

Is it better for her to be on a level 2 team as a base?

OR

level 1 team as a flyer (to get the experience) so that next year she can try out for level 3 (hopefully) and have the flying experience?

Hi ALL!

I am completely new to cheer. My daughter is 7 and recently made an all star mini level 2 team after just starting cheer in January (She did competitive gymnastics prior to this for 2 years so she has tumbling skills).

The problem is our gym has 2 separate locations. The main gym which has over 13 teams but is over an hour away because of traffic. Then the smaller gym which only has a junior level 2 and a youth level 1 (both undefeated last year and is only 20 minutes from home.

We were placed onto a mini level 2 at the large gym (1 hour away) where she will be a base.

We then spoke to the coach at our smaller gym and he stated he has no more room for the J-2 team and is actually cutting several people BUT if we wanted he would love to have her on his youth 1 team as the center flyer.

She prefers to be a flyer but does not want to be on an "easier" team. She has just recently moved up in her tumbling class to learn her running tucks.

Obviously driving wise (we live in Houston,TX) the closer level 1 team would be best.

SO my question...

Is it better for her to be on a level 2 team as a base?

OR

level 1 team as a flyer (to get the experience) so that next year she can try out for level 3 (hopefully) and have the flying experience?
Huge, HUUUUUUGE jump in flying skills between level 1 and three. In level 1, she will be pulling body positions below prep level or at prep level with a bracer. No basket tosses whatsoever. In level 3, flyers have to pull body positions at extended level, no bracers, and do baskets to include 1 skill (one twist or one other skill like a toe touch or pike). In my opinion, flying at level 1 will not prepare you for level 3, but of course each child is different.

Make the decision based on what works best for your family. What level she may or may not make a whole year from now might be important to your child and your family, and that's okay. If other things are more important, including how much of your life will be consumed with a commute, well, that's okay too.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Wait. A coach essentially promised you/your child the "center flyer" position?

I would go with what is most convenient for your family. If it's the youth 1, it's the youth 1. Things could happen during the season that may result in her crossing over to J2...or maybe not. Either way. Do what works for your family.

And teach her that flying is not the end all, be all.

^^
And teach her that flying is not the end all, be all.

Yes!

At any program I have ever dealt with, there are generally twice as many flyers trying out than are actually NEEDED.

Ex: Say a team can have max of 8 stunt groups. That's 8 flyers needed. Then you get to the tryout and there are 60 girls, and every other girl at that tryout for that level says they're "only going to fly." That's 30 flyers. Well, say this particular gym only has one team at that level. They all cannot fly. The coach is going to go with that top 8 (maybe a couple alternates) and the rest will base.

The girls who make the team at that point are those who can show their VERSATILITY and can do BOTH.

Personally, I would choose the closest gym. This is only her first year of cheer, and there is so much that she can learn by being a level 1 cheerleader. It will provide a great foundation for her cheer career (if she choses to continue).

I would start looking for another gym with more teams where she can be placed according to both her abilities and her age, and there are teams for her to advance to rather than worrying about if they are going to have the right number of kids for what she needs each year. Just my .02.

As CheerBank said maybe looking for a gym that has a better age/level fit for your CP is a better option. Just looked up the USASF member listing for Houston and there are 16 gyms listed. Assuming some are outdated info and might be closed but even then you have more options than most.
Hope this link works. US All Star Federation: CURRENT MEMBERS

Given your CP's age, a first year full year team, and level personally I would look for a closer gym. If she sticks it out, falls in love, and shows a drive for a level that is not offered in your area then look for the longer commute gyms if needed but no sense in starting them now.

I would also not rule out your CP having to base no matter where she goes. Teams need more bases than flyers and as also stated above, if she can base, tumble and maybe fly down the road she will be a more rounded cheerleader and open up future team options.

Huge, HUUUUUUGE jump in flying skills between level 1 and three. In level 1, she will be pulling body positions below prep level or at prep level with a bracer. No basket tosses whatsoever. In level 3, flyers have to pull body positions at extended level, no bracers, and do baskets to include 1 skill (one twist or one other skill like a toe touch or pike). In my opinion, flying at level 1 will not prepare you for level 3, but of course each child is different.

Make the decision based on what works best for your family. What level she may or may not make a whole year from now might be important to your child and your family, and that's okay. If other things are more important, including how much of your life will be consumed with a commute, well, that's okay too.

Level 1 to 3 in flying skills really isn't that much. In level 1, flyers really do not do anything. Many peoples first year flying is level 3.

Level 1 to 3 in flying skills really isn't that much. In level 1, flyers really do not do anything. Many peoples first year flying is level 3.
You're kind of saying the same thing that I am - level 1 doesn't really prepare you for level 3... So being a flyer on a level 1 team probably isn't going to make the OP's daughter any more likely to make a level 3 team as a flyer the next year than if she is a base on a level 2 team.

My kid has never flown level 1.
Just level 2 for 3 years.

In level one while they don't do as "much" they definitely learn body positions and probably a few other things.

I know the op said her kid would be a base on level 2 with where she would be placed but just in general I don't think level 2 is a bad place to start off flying (if it was possible for her kid that would be ideal) but level 3 is a big jump as in it's a lot different!

My kid isn't the most flexible person on the team but she is a good level 2 flyer who can execute difficult stunts but yet struggles to fly level 3.

Partially because she is scared (some kids just aren't ok with being in the air without having someone's hand half way up their leg).

If my kid pulls her bow and arrow and sits back her back spot can shove her right back up in the air. If my kid is trying super hard for her scorpion not to look like a Dorito and drops her chest as she is pulling up on her leg to straighten it out. She isn't going to topple over because they can shove her right up also.

When the flyer is in a full extension there isn't much a base can do if there are any mishaps. Now I'm sure plenty of kids go from nothing to three and especially tiny kids can sometimes be held up their regardless if they are tight or not. However, I definitely wouldn't throw it out there and make it seem it's like nothing... Because if that is the case my kid has the tumbling she could of been on a level 3 years ago... Or maybe she is the only terrible flyer who can't fly level 3.

Now personally if I was in this situation I would go for basing on a level 2, you can learn a lot by being a base also! My kid wants to base so I'm sure that would be her recommendation as well lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice in this situation is the level 1 team. She's young and new. An hour commute for something she may decide she doesn't like, seems like a large commitment. At her age she won't fully grasp a two hour round trip commute a couple times a week, but she probably won't enjoy it after a few times. That being said if it were me and I lived in Houston with all the options that are available I believe I would be looking at other gyms. There must be a close gym in your area that you would like that offers an age and level that your daughter needs. Stunt position shouldn't be a deciding factor or be more important than age and level.

I would like to say something about the subject of positions! I have an extreme difficult time understanding the "importance" of being a flyer? I totally believe that every athlete is just as important as the next. I've got one cp who "can" fly with level 4 skills (she will b 12 on fri), another cp whom jokes about being a flyer because she is just not built for it. And by no means is she heavy, but she is solid muscle and is a beast! Her flyer loves her because they have trust in her and know that my cp does not drop anyone!! Every position on the team is just as important as the next! As a parent I've always told my CP's that no matter what position u are, where u are placed doesn't mean that they are not just as important. Putting emphasis on one position bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think flying level 1 is going to prepare her to fly on a level 3 team. If you want her to fly level 3 next year I would suggest getting a flying coach to do some privates with her and they can work on full ups ..Pulling air skills at full extension. All the level 3 skills.
As far as what team, I think you need to look at what would be better for your family and what would be the best option for your child... What team would she grow and learn more on.

Back