All-Star Allstar Resort/block Party

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

one last thing to add to this that i think may actually be a fun exercise for gyms to do if they have time my gym got a kick out of it last year, at our first away competition last year/season (kalahari GLCC competition) we had all of the returning senior 4 athletes in one suite and the newbies in another the friday of our arrival we all go play around in the water park then we all go get dressed and ready for a night of team bonding in the returning athlete room where we watch movies games and so on, so while the newbies were all getting dresssed and doing their hair all of the returning athletes were running around setting up their beer bottles and mikes (dont worry bottles all had coloured water juice and ginerale in them) music and other objects that the parents brought over the border, so the newbies show up and walk into mass chaos drinking music complete crazyness and everybody starts relaxing chilling hanging out when all of a sudden our very tall very scary and loud coach opens the door and proceeds to scream and freak out at us about how irresponsible it all is (he had 2 of our grade 8 athletes in tears) everybody that was returning then begins to laugh and fall on the floor as well as the coaches and chaperones that we had we then continued to have a talk about what would happen if we were to ever be caught in that situation and honestly it was the smartest thing i have ever seen a gym do (it put the fear of god in everybody) and it works it is also hilarious to see your teammates have a melt down then punch you because you knew about it the whole time, anyways just thought i would share

**sorry if this is all jibberish i had to babysit my brother today and 3 year olds are exhausting to watch

Punctuation? I can't even read this.

When I started my program, in its first year we were TINY and I was so scared of losing anyone. I only had 12 athletes and I felt I really needed all of them. I put up with some behaviours that I did not agree with because I couldn't "afford" to get rid of them. In the end I don't think it served me, or any of the athletes, well. For starters it puts that athlete (the one that is "so talented" they can't be kicked out) up on a pedestal that makes them think they can do no wrong, sometimes makes them think they are better than everyone else, and conversely makes the others feel like they are not as "important" as the star athlete. I also feel that all the athletes lose trust/respect for you as a coach.

I wasn't happy with how things were run overall last year and this year I changed my stance completely. I am tough and it serves them well. I have stuck to my word and told people that maybe it is best if they find somewhere else if they can't abide by the rules that I set for my program. I've found an instant change in the way the teams view me, and their teammates, and another bonus is that my program has grown over 5 times the size in just one year, even with letting those people go. I think the results speak for themselves.

I don't believe for one second that ANY gym is allowing it...is it happening yes. I am also a realist and sympathetic to the realities of being a successful small gym owner and that means holding on to your most talented elite cheerleaders. I am not saying it is right. I am not condoning those behaviors but I am also not going to judge the gym that decides the consequence for drinking beer on the swing set is to ban them from participating in a banquet or scholarship or fining their parents or all sorts of other consequences that could have impact with out destroying a team.

These are kids making stupid choices...(I am not talking about a person who is drunk on the floor endangering the welfare of others). I am just not sure I personally would destroy the career of an athlete because their parents don't parent the same way I do. People pay dearly for bad decisions but throwing a kid away for one bad decision just doesn't make sense to me. I have seen up close and personal young adults thrown away for bad choices they have made, it is ugly. Many spend years trying to put behind them that one bad decision and some never recover. Everyone deserves a second chance....I am just not a big believer in the throw away scenario.

There are a few gyms that I could name off the top of my head who have coaches that drink with the athletes so yes there are gyms that allow it to happen. These athletes at worlds aren't just hanging out in a room and drinking, they are being disrespectful and loud then go on to twitter and brag about it the next morning. If I made the mistake of getting picked up for drinking in public, even though I am 23 and not underage, I would be fired from my job because it is against their policy. If a gym sets a policy that alcohol is not allowed at competitions then that athlete should be removed from that team. Their parents should have been there to parent, but that athlete knew right from wrong and they can't use their parents as an excuse for the behavior. Removing them from a team or gym will not ruin the rest of their lives, getting out there and injuring someone or themselves could though.

I don't believe for one second that ANY gym is allowing it...is it happening yes. I am also a realist and sympathetic to the realities of being a successful small gym owner and that means holding on to your most talented elite cheerleaders. I am not saying it is right. I am not condoning those behaviors but I am also not going to judge the gym that decides the consequence for drinking beer on the swing set is to ban them from participating in a banquet or scholarship or fining their parents or all sorts of other consequences that could have impact with out destroying a team.

These are kids making stupid choices...(I am not talking about a person who is drunk on the floor endangering the welfare of others). I am just not sure I personally would destroy the career of an athlete because their parents don't parent the same way I do. People pay dearly for bad decisions but throwing a kid away for one bad decision just doesn't make sense to me. I have seen up close and personal young adults thrown away for bad choices they have made, it is ugly. Many spend years trying to put behind them that one bad decision and some never recover. Everyone deserves a second chance....I am just not a big believer in the throw away scenario.

I think maybe ztaprincess is saying that if you are turning a blind eye to the behaviours and not reprimanding these athletes/implementing consequences for their actions then you are in effect "allowing" the behaviour to happen and to continue as you are not attempting to stop it and are hence implcitly validating its reoccurence. ?

ETA: Your post above JUST popped up as I posted this! Oops :confused:

There are a few gyms that I could name off the top of my head who have coaches that drink with the athletes so yes there are gyms that allow it to happen. These athletes at worlds aren't just hanging out in a room and drinking, they are being disrespectful and loud then go on to twitter and brag about it the next morning. If I made the mistake of getting picked up for drinking in public, even though I am 23 and not underage, I would be fired from my job because it is against their policy. If a gym sets a policy that alcohol is not allowed at competitions then that athlete should be removed from that team. Their parents should have been there to parent, but that athlete knew right from wrong and they can't use their parents as an excuse for the behavior. Removing them from a team or gym will not ruin the rest of their lives, getting out there and injuring someone or themselves could though.
I just don't believe it is so black and white. I knew my thoughts on this subject would not be popular but I don't see that it is wrong for me to express them.

Coaches drinking with athletes, Coaches looking away while they see their athletes drinking....not much gray in that and stupid too. I have such a hard time believing that this happens. I believe you but it really goes against everything I have seen and experienced in my girls cheerleading careers but I have also never attended Worlds...maybe I am just naive.

I am enjoying you tremendously this evening. I'm just going to follow you around here, shimmying, OK?

And I'm sure everyone is going to reply that gyms like CA and Rays can have zero tolerance policies because they're so awesome that no one would risk it, but some small gym couldn't afford to kick out the talented kids. I often wonder when people say stuff like this - does it ever occur to anyone that CA and Rays are the huge powerhouses they are BECAUSE they have zero tolerance for BS in their programs?

Our talent pool for our open team is very limited. We won't take high schoolers and need a certain level of ability to compete. Besides our less than stellar result this past weekend our teams have consistently been competitive. We have kicked off many people who were über talented but would not sacrifice for the team. And I have found that it actually has grown that section of the program when doing so.

Our talent pool for our open team is very limited. We won't take high schoolers and need a certain level of ability to compete. Besides our less than stellar result this past weekend our teams have consistently been competitive. We have kicked off many people who were über talented but would not sacrifice for the team. And I have found that it actually has grown that section of the program when doing so.

Agreed. I feel like serious athletes will be drawn to a serious program that has demonstrated time and time again that they mean business. I don't buy into this "we are a small program that can't afford to lose our best talent". No, you can't afford to let the athletes run your business. It's hard to argue with logic - the gyms with the most globes are the ones with the least tolerance for foolery. Not because you can "afford to lose athletes" but because your athletes know from what they're taught what it takes to be champions. They didn't learn that this weekend. They've been taught that from the day they set foot in the gym.

I don't think gyms should have to kick the kids who get in trouble at Worlds out of their programs. But that's because I think those kids should have known LONG BEFORE WORLDS how to behave when representing their gym.

ETA I hope this made sense. I'm exhausted and trying to type in bed on my phone...

Every single coach and athlete at Worlofds signs an Agreement of Compliance (see page 15-16 of the registration packet here: USASF.NET

I feel pretty confident that at least one team violated that agreement this weekend. If USASF would enforce the rule just once (requiring a disqualification, paying back the entire paid bid and causing the team to not be eligible for Worlds the next year), I guarantee the vast majority of the behavior problems would disappear.

Thats the problem, they won't enforce it. It seems to be an epidemic with the USASF on how and when they enforce rules. A prime example is of a gym that attended worlds last year had an ineligible athlete on the floor and was disqualified from World's this year, BUT only in the division in which they competed, which was a division that no longer exists, so they were free to get a bid in another division. So what exactly was the punishment?

There needs to be a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol, not just for athletes, but for those few coaches who either turn a blind eye or who are partying with their underage athletes.

I'm not sure what it will take, especially at World's to get rid of this party atmosphere, maybe ESPN saying sorry we will no longer broadcast this event as the off the floor behavior doesn't exemplify the morals and values we feel is necessary of athletes.

On one final note, if the USASF is selling the travel packages, it should be their responsibility to make sure there is plenty of 24 hour security patrolling so that the partying can't go on.

Why could The Hubs do this? Because the boys all travelled as a team. They booked the rooms as one block, rather than allowing them to book their own rooms through their parents. They and their parents also signed a contract agreeing to behavior and consequences before being allowed on the trip. Cheer teams need to travel like this. It reduces the blurred lines of "do I follow team rules, or my parent's rules".

Our gym does this. With rare exceptions, all of our kids are required to take buses to out-of-town competitions. Hotels are always booked by the gym. Exceptions have to be approved by the owner.

The few times we've had issues at competitions, those kids were disciplined and the entire program got a lecture about how we represent our gym at all times - not just at the arena. I'm not sure we've ever kicked anyone out, but I have no doubt that our ownership would have no problem doing so if it was warranted.

This thread makes me sick. (Not the posters, just the idea that some athletes were so rude, disrespectful, and flat-out stupid last night at the Allstar.) Furthermore, the person claiming responsibility on Twitter for the events last night needs someone to give him a heads up that what he's bragging about is NOT cool. I have zero respect for you and your actions make it difficult for me to view the gym you represent in a favorable light. Same goes for anyone else who willingly involved themselves in that mess.

THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, people.

Okay seriously the resort doesnt give a crap. Security giards were taking pictures and laughing ay what was going on and the bartenders were selling drinks without checking ids. The only reason the cops were really involved was because people staying in the allstar wefe complaining about the noise. And no matter were the usasf holds worlds or puts restrictions down, people are going to party. I do agree it got a bit out of hand but im not gonna lie, it was fun. Just figured I'd give the opinion of the athlete.

Kudos to the gyms that hold their kids to standards of behavior. It isn't easy, but it's like parenting - I'm not there to be my childrens' BFF, I'm there to be their mom and that means sometimes taking the hard road and saying "no." Though guess what - our girls still try and pull me into their latest obsession(movie, tv, books) so we can share it and our 21 year old still comes home from college at least twice a month because she enjoys being with her family. And the same typically goes with teachers and coaches, my kids respect and admire the coaches and teachers that hold them accountable and hold high standards, not so much the ones who try to be "one of the kids."
My junior year of high school, one month before graduation, the top choir went on a weekend trip and three of the "leaders" of the choir, seniors all, brought alcohol and got caught. They got kicked out with a month left in school after being in the choir all four years. Believe me, it made an impression on the rest of the choir.

From Just-A-Mom
...true story: A few years ago my cp and I went to Disney and stayed in one of those concierge buildings where they have free liquor in the lobby of the building. I was in the pool and sent my daughter to get me a drink. I WAS JOKING and asked her to pour some amaretto in a glass and bring it to me. Then I said "Haha and when that doesn't work out, bring me a Diet Coke." Lo and behold she came back 3 minutes later with the Amaretto. :eek::confused::eek: She was 11. I fussed at her because I was kidding and why did she know what amaretto was and how dare she actually pour that etc. etc. etc. But I still can't get over a resort that size not even noticing a CHILD getting a drink. Now, shame on me for sending her (bad parenting - lesson learned) but SOMEONE should have noticed, no???

Your story reminded me: when our oldest was 2 1/2, DH and I were on the porch with her. We were talking about a commerical where a dog brings his master a beer from the refridgerator and hubby turns to our daughter and says "bring me a beer". Well, she immediately goes running back into the house and we are looking at each other wondering what she is doing when she comes running back out and hands him her big white teddy bear that was as big as she was. (This may be a case of the parents thinking this is ever so much cuter and more clever than anyone else does.:p)

Okay seriously the resort doesnt give a crap. Security giards were taking pictures and laughing ay what was going on and the bartenders were selling drinks without checking ids. The only reason the cops were really involved was because people staying in the allstar wefe complaining about the noise. And no matter were the usasf holds worlds or puts restrictions down, people are going to party. I do agree it got a bit out of hand but im not gonna lie, it was fun. Just figured I'd give the opinion of the athlete.

tumblr_m2ojbsXv4O1r5a2sv.gif

Whatever Its seriously true though I experienced it first hand.... If disney wants everything to go smoothly, they need to crack down on there security and maube not selling alcohol during worlds. Otherwise this is just going to be reoccuring problem

Back