All-Star Ama Designates Cheer A Sport.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L5cheermom

Cheer Parent
Mar 29, 2012
AMA officially designates cheerleading a sport

Seems things are heating up in the world of "Sport" regarding the legitimization of Cheer. Not sure how this affects anything given it's the American Medical Association and not Title IX. Anyway it's just interesting to me with that ruling by the NY high schools and now this that cheer is getting so much attention.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Seems things are heating up in the world of "Sport" regarding the legitimization of Cheer. Not sure how this affects anything given it's the American Medical Association and not Title IX. Anyway it's just interesting to me with that ruling by the NY high schools and now this that cheer is getting so much attention.

Realistically we are talking about not 'if' something will happen but 'when'. Cheer being a sport will happen, it is just when.

I posted a link to a story about this on my cheer blog today, cool stuff! It really was just a matter of time, I would wager more practice and performance injuries occur in cheerleading than plenty of other sports; and it requires just as much talent and work.

Youngest cp just dislocated her knee cap, again, and we are back with her PT at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. We have been to him three separate times, however, the first visit of this happening he began asking if we knew the owners of the gym (no), and told us how interested they are as a group in learning more about cheer and its requirements at each level, the training, the rules, safety, etc. There is, obviously, something going on that is sparking a curiosity beyond just treating the injury.

And just clarifying, the AMA made this decision for school based cheer programs not club or allstar or rec programs.

A sport is a sport if WE treat it as one so that people outside of the sport see and respect it as one.

So, yesterday I decided to ask the PT why the sudden interest in cheer. His answer, "The high amount of injury and the lack of knowledge in the sport medicine world as to what cheerleaders are actually doing." The PT asked my daughter to take her thumb and see if she could bend it back to her forearm. She could. He asked, "Did you know kids with Hyper Flexibility Disorder gravitate to cheer, dance, and gymnastics?" My response, "WTH is hyper flexibility disorder?" Evidently, there is a difference between acquiring and being a freak of nature when it comes to flexibility. My youngest has been dislocating body parts left and right for years and I had no idea she had this disorder. More important, he said certain exercises used to gain flexibility and strength can be detrimental to those with this disorder and increase joint dislocation. If kids that have this disorder naturally gravitate to cheer where it is beneficial to be flexible, then this cross information between sport and sport medicine is incredibly valuable to both sides in reducing injury and developing stronger athletes. This group is inquiring about surfaces, coed, all girl, level progression, stunting, tumbling, etc. and the PT said much of this information will be used in developing conditioning geared toward reducing injury specific to cheer and by it being deemed a "sport" they will be able to get funding for research. If this joint effort between cheer and sports medicine helps reduce concussions, stress fractures, sprains, and dislocations then cheer has made a colossal step in the right direction. Respect from outsiders? Pssshhh, who cares.

So, yesterday I decided to ask the PT why the sudden interest in cheer. His answer, "The high amount of injury and the lack of knowledge in the sport medicine world as to what cheerleaders are actually doing." The PT asked my daughter to take her thumb and see if she could bend it back to her forearm. She could. He asked, "Did you know kids with Hyper Flexibility Disorder gravitate to cheer, dance, and gymnastics?" My response, "WTH is hyper flexibility disorder?" Evidently, there is a difference between acquiring and being a freak of nature when it comes to flexibility. My youngest has been dislocating body parts left and right for years and I had no idea she had this disorder. More important, he said certain exercises used to gain flexibility and strength can be detrimental to those with this disorder and increase joint dislocation. If kids that have this disorder naturally gravitate to cheer where it is beneficial to be flexible, then this cross information between sport and sport medicine is incredibly valuable to both sides in reducing injury and developing stronger athletes. This group is inquiring about surfaces, coed, all girl, level progression, stunting, tumbling, etc. and the PT said much of this information will be used in developing conditioning geared toward reducing injury specific to cheer and by it being deemed a "sport" they will be able to get funding for research. If this joint effort between cheer and sports medicine helps reduce concussions, stress fractures, sprains, and dislocations then cheer has made a colossal step in the right direction. Respect from outsiders? Pssshhh, who cares.

Wow that's so interesting, I cheered and danced for years (now I'm old and retired). I dislocated my kneecaps upwards of 4-5 times throughout my cheer/dance career. Wish I had known about this...

i understand the push for school cheer to become a sport, because sport status allows resources and proper coaches and safety measures. but what is the push for all star cheerleading to be a sport? honestly? someone proclaiming cheerleading is a sport isn't going to suddenly command respect from outsiders.
On one hand it comes down to organization and cooperation between groups within the all star industry. There can't be bickering and drama about uniform rules and how to present oneself. Every "sport" in the world has those regulations for all its athletes and coaches.

But on the other hand, it already is a sport. Only a fool would try to say the club sport of All Star Cheerleading isn't a sport. These athletes and coaches train for competition, have a season, followed by a championship, then an off season.

Speaking of which, I just saw this on Twitter....
download

I just noticed the image isn't pulling up, but it is an ad. It's a stunt group with their fly/bases/back not looking like they know what they're doing and the caption says something like..

If you're going to let your kids fly, you better have good doctors.
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

Last edited:
It's so true, I remember learning about Beighton a couple semesters ago and doing it in class, myself and the former gymnast in my class were the ones who met the criteria for hypermobility. I'm so excited to see the medical field getting more interested in cheer, it makes me really look forward to my future in it, especially PT.

Back