All-Star Amazing Level 2 Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We will have to agree to disagree. And to make it clear, I am not at all 'bashing' the kids. In fact, I enjoyed watching the video and I (and no doubt most of us) would definitely applaud those individual athletes that were true level 1-2 and performed that well.

I'm going to respectfully ask for the Rockstar level conversation to end. Obviously all of us have our own opinions regarding the situation, but at this point, there isn't much more to add. I was proud of my kids, and even though we had a pyramid issue day 2, we held our 2nd place spot. Thanks to everyone for the sweet messages of good luck before and congrats after. They were very much appreciated. Congrats to all the teams in our division, saw some really creative skills and great teams.

I don't understand this thought process? Who cares if a kid has a full on a level 2 team? They can't throw it anyway. For all of you complaining about our Junior 2, we have FAR more level 1 kids crossing on it than level 5's. Secondly, we are a smaller gym and just because they fly on a level 5 team does not make them really level 5. It means we had a need and filled it with the best available option. It is further proof people would rather pull you down than elevate their game.

The scoresheet is the same for all teams, hit the sheet, win. Rules are the same for everyone. It does not matter what you can do theoretically, everyone is held to the same standards.

Sorry but putting level 5 athletes on a level 2 team is not something that should be viewed as acceptable. It gives new meaning to the term "sandbagging" Is trying to win a black jacket that important? As far as people pulling you down other than elevate their game? I think you are taking away opportunities for true level 2 athletes to compete and be successful at their level. If a flier on a level 5 team can double out of a stunt and do full ups to one leg and tic tocs than they are more than over qualified to do level 2 stunts. You are also sending a message to your kids that it's acceptable to in a sense "cheat" on a technicality. Having a tryout and pulling together a team of higher level kids to compete at a level 2 for one event so that it's not considered sandbagging is disgraceful. Wasn't it your team last year that received an award for sportsmanship from the USASF?
Good luck in Dallas.

I just think it is awfully funny how we get called out, and rockstar gets called out, yet there are many teams that compete these athletes all year long that no one mentions. Oh well, now I remember why I don't say much on here, way too much negativity.

i don't have a dog in this fight. (actually, I don't even have a dog since my failing body and deteriorating joints have forced me into retirement.:p ) so, for these reasons, I don't really follow many lower divisions. (i do watch the amazing ones posted on here and there are some awesome lower level teams, don't get me wrong!) But since I primarily watch level 5, and you can't "sandbag" the highest level, I rarely see it happen unless it is called out, like in these situations. While I may not see it, I'm sure it is a big enough problem if NCA felt the need to make a rule about it. (a rule that rockstar will not be breaking, i know)

I see it from both sides. a back handspring is a back handspring no matter who does one. but say a level 4 girl has had her layout for a year. so she's probably been doing a BHS for 4/5 years, give or take, depending on how fast she learns. that is 4 years to perfect a skill that the "true" level 2 kids have maybe been perfecting for a few months to a year. There is a noticeable difference in technique even though they are both doing a BHS. (which would probably help your execution quite a bit.)

CoachDerek I don't think you guys are getting called out, you put yourselves out there. And I do appreciate that it's not some hidden secret. i agree that NCA is an experience these kids should have.. but they could have gone another way. this is always something that's going to bother others, especially if they do have a dog in the fight, so to speak. say the shooting stars, just for fun, made a level 4 routine and beat your kids who have been working their tails off all season long. you can't say that wouldn't bother you.

Those who don't agree with you probably never will. you're going to have to agree to disagree.

honestly, congrats to rockstar for pulling off a clean, award winning routine in only 12 practices. still impressive. and congratulations to all of their competitors who put up one heck of a fight.

I just think it is awfully funny how we get called out, and rockstar gets called out, yet there are many teams that compete these athletes all year long that no one mentions. Oh well, now I remember why I don't say much on here, way too much negativity.

I understand you are a new coach to your gym. You should probably take a look at your gym's team rosters from last year. There wasn't a gym in the area that had more level 5 crossovers to lower level teams. You had athletes from your Worlds team cross to Junior 1.....I spoke with one of your parents at a recent comp who has two CPs on your youth 3 team and my CP is friends with 3 CPs from your Sr. Restricted/Jr5 team (and all three competed level 5 last year as well) that are on this Jr 2 team and they all have at least level 3 stunting and tumbling skills, and I'm willing to bet there are many more. If you are going to sandbag, it is going to be noticed, and you are going to be called out on it - ipromise

Here's the thing guys - everyone does it. In one way or another. There's a gym we compete against often out here that has restricted 5 kids crossing to senior level 1. It's just the way it goes. Don't get mad at anyone doing it - but the rulebook. In the Spring of last year USASF held a voting for the rulebook for 2011-2013. The crossover rules were a huge deal and didn't go unnoticed. I, along with many others, voted to limit the percentage of crossers per team. Instead, what passed was to limit the amount of teams an athlete can cross over to. This passed even though (if I remember correctly) about 60% of people voted that other way. The USASF board chose otherwise.

Fighting about a rule that is legal is getting you no where. Also it's hard for the USASF to put such strict restraints on crossover rules because it would allow small gyms to suffer. If you're a small gym with 6 teams of under - you may rely on crossovers to fill teams. It's a hard issue that still has many kinks to be worked out.

Maybe I should clarify what I said.... After I replied to this thread - I then went back and read all the previous pages. I feel as if I shouldn't have responded now. And since I cant delete..... Oops. The thing is just if we're talking about cross overs from one team to the next - that's one thing. If you're compromising a team of level 3,4,5 athletes just to stack and win - are we truly understanding what this competitive industry would come to? Well then I'll take my small senior 5 and drop them to senior 3 - cause they'll probably take home an NCA jacket.

This is just a really hard issue to fix. Does anyone have thoughtful suggestions as to how to prevent this?

Oh well, now I remember why I don't say much on here, way too much negativity.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way. Frankly there's been very little "negativity" on this thread and actually some very real, very intense discussion. You feel strongly about your position and others feel strongly about their's. These kinds of discussions are a way for things to get hashed out. It doesn't always work, but there are probably 50 people reading for every person with the guts to actually stake out a position and defend it.

I don't totally disagree with your position that the rules are the same for everyone so what's the big deal. I just think this is a different situation and should be addressed.

So don't go away mad. And actually don't go away at all.

This board and this industry need people that will clearly and passionately defend positions.

I know that everyone focuses on tumbling when talking about leveling down, but for me it's more obvious in stunting and jumps. If you are a level 3 athlete, for example, a level 1 thigh stand or prep-level stunt is a piece of cake, you know? I certainly don't have the solution, but it's frustrating to watch as both a spectator and parent. I hope a solution is on the horizon.

Back