All-Star Angel Rice Moving To Cali Smoed For 2014-2015 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mean-girls-gif-i-wish-i-could-bake-a-cake-full-of-rainbows-and-smiles.gif

Tryouts are really a year long process, not one or two days. I'm sure the coaches already know who they want on smoed, tryouts aren't going to surprise them...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
If you're already at CALI everyday is a tryout and they already know your qualifications going into tryouts. If there was an interest in having you on SMOED, and you shared the same interest, they would have already had discussion with you I'm sure. Nobody will be cheated out of an opportunity to tryout for the team. There's no bait and switch with tryouts. It may seem as if individuals will show up to tryouts for SMOED and every position will already be filled not giving them any opportunity. I'm sure that will not be the case.

Not to sound like a broken record but this thread is entirely against everyone's "don't talk about individuals" rule. I've always liked that rule.

Regardless, best of luck Angel and to all athletes through the tryout process and 2014/15 season!

The Fierce Board App!

Nah, Smoed is a very talented team, obviously. I just don't understand the phenomena of creating an entire thread about someone switching a gym. If that was me I wouldn't want an entire community of people who don't know me talking about me and my choices as if they did.
And I'm honestly on here because I feel bad for the girl. Being in the spotlight isn't as fun as people think it is. Even I was in the "spotlight" for a short amount of time and it was just plain creepy. People would take pictures of me sitting with my family at competitions and tweet them at me saying they spotted me with my parents. Have some courtesy? I can't imagine what it would be like to be on Smoed and have cheerleaders swarming you at all times.
I guess what I'm trying to say is yeah, you can cheer them on, that's great. But give them privacy and space too.
Absolutely, I agree entirely. Not everyone could handle the celebrity part of the job. But, the fans can't be controlled. Nor can the fans actions be controlled. Sad to say, they are a prisoner of their own popularity whether they like it or not. I've seen some of what they go thru and it's intense. I give them a lot of credit for handling the pressure as well as they do. They give up all anonymity and their lives are fodder for the masses.

I don't know if I agree with that. Hand picking a bunch of superstar individuals doesn't necessarily make a superstar team. One thing about people willing to uproot their entire life for their one goal...is that it's their one goal...individually. And sometimes the big fish in one pond may not enjoy being one of many big fish in another pond. I mean heaven forbid someone on your team has more IG followers! Oh, the horror!

To use a basketball reference (after all I live in the Tobacco Road of ACC land).... Back when I paid more attention, UNC chapel hill always had a few big names on their team that overshadowed the others. Duke, while it had names you recognized, weren't as "cheerlebrity" as the ones from UNC were. I generally saw the trend that Duke played better as a team than Carolina ever did because too many of those cheerlebrity type basketball players were looking for the individual spotlight and the espn stats. It didn't seem to work as well for the teamwork aspect of the game. Duke beat them on teamwork over talent on several occasions.

Props to smoed if they can bring in all this big name talent and personality and actually get them to function as team first and individual second. If the team continues to be assembled this way that will be the challenge. Only one person gets to be last pass or point flyer and if you've got two or three that have always been last pass or point flyer or whatever....

....somebody isn't going to be happy and that's the beginning of the end if they can't swallow their pride and be a team player.

But, they are All Stars on SMOED. Just a little pun, sorry. From what I've seen SMOED doesn't highlight one individual. Every team member has something to contribute and the coaches will utilize their talents in a manner most favorable to the team. Your right, twenty individual stars does not make a star team. And though they may have been a standout at their last gym, they'll have to leave their egos at the CALI gym door. It will be interesting to see it all come together. But, I have faith it will come together, don't you ?

Kind of unrelated but you know how World Cup does the special Shooting Stars tryouts, where you have to get invited? Is that what Smoed does if they are inviting people to tryout for that specific team? Cause otherwise they could just show up to Cali tryouts and kick butt and make the team?

I wonder if they're afraid that if they don't get the best of the best they will not win worlds? Are they afraid of having a team with new people on it? I feel like Smoed is the only team that recruits people. It really makes you think. Surely there are kids in the Cali gyms that have grown up through the program that have the required skills needed to be on Smoed but they're not getting a shot because they do the recruiting thing. Leave recruiting to all the other sports.
Why do you feel like SMOED recruits ? I've never heard of any recruiting. Individuals contact CALI not vice versa. If something is said by a CALI gym on social media identifying a need for male cheerleaders to tryout, I don't view that as recruiting but rather advertising. To the best of my knowledge they don't recruit individuals from other gyms...ever.

But, they are All Stars on SMOED. Just a little pun, sorry. From what I've seen SMOED doesn't highlight one individual. Every team member has something to contribute and the coaches will utilize their talents in a manner most favorable to the team. Your right, twenty individual stars does not make a star team. And though they may have been a standout at their last gym, they'll have to leave their egos at the CALI gym door. It will be interesting to see it all come together. But, I have faith it will come together, don't you ?

Only if they can put the team before themselves. If egos walk in with them, that's the wildcard. But that's also the job of the staff that put the team together. I'm sure they're smart enough to recognize it as a potential issue.

Kind of unrelated but you know how World Cup does the special Shooting Stars tryouts, where you have to get invited? Is that what Smoed does if they are inviting people to tryout for that specific team? Cause otherwise they could just show up to Cali tryouts and kick butt and make the team?
Never knew you had to get invited to tryout for shooting stars....

are you sure? i saw them post on twitter that the shooting stars tryout was open to all?

Just curious, if you don't care about SMOED or it's new team members why are you on a thread about SMOED's new team member ?

..I read almost every thread that could prove itself to be interesting, and this one has been, obviously. No one said they don't care about Smoed, only that we don't care about each individual memeber. I don't follow this team enough to list off all 20 of it's members, and I would probably have a hard time listing off all 30 Reign and 30 F5 athletes. The addition of a top notch athlete like Angel Rice is interesting, but it's not something I care so deeply about that I'm going to go to bed crying about because she left Stingrays. It's not that serious/important to me, hence why I say I don't care about it. You're proven to be very loyal and defensive over Cali, as you should be from the gym. This however, is being taken too far. No one has belittled Smoed or said the team doesn't matter. All that's been said is some people just don't give a flying hoot about who is on what team.

The invites go out to in-house athletes Joelle and Elaine want to see tryout for Shooting Stars. They hold open tryouts for everyone else.

Back