OT Any Tips For Flying Alone???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jun 23, 2010
Im flying alone for the very first time.
im flying from oakland to L.A. and then from there to Philadelphia.
any tips to help me make it through the airport without doing anything thats gonna screw up my week?
in l.a., i have to switch terminals as well.

Are you being chaperoned? If not, switching terminals alone actually isn't that bad. When you get off the plane make sure you go to the big computer monitors and find the gate you have to go to then all you have to do is follow the arrows that point to the terminals/gates.I also like to walk fast (I'm short), even if you have a lot of time between flights you never know what can happen. Plus, if you get there early it gives you time to breathe and go to a store or the bathroom. I've been flying by myself for 3 years so it's gotten pretty easy.

*Just stay calm, plan things out that you have to do in your head before you get off the plane, and breathe! Remember, if you ever get confused just ask any worker at the gates and there are also the little stands where people can ask questions, kind of like service desks.

Hope this helps!! :)

Make sure you take at least one change of clothes in your carry on (in case your luggage gets lost).

If you are unsure about something, ASK! Don't hesitate, just ask one of the gate agents. If you are polite, you will get all the help you need.

Make sure you care your itinerary separately from your boarding passes just in case you misplace them.

I fly a lot. I just flew international last week and my velour loungewear (sweats and hoodie) was perfect because it had no belt to take off through security, etc. You have to take the hoodie off at security. Flying with a laptop can be a pain going through security with taking it in and out of the case. I stopped carrying my laptop unless I have to have it for the trip. I agree, slip on shoes are the best for airports.

If you have a longer layover, that can be good. I have been on a flight where there was mechanical issues getting the door open and we were stuck on the plane at the gate and could not de-board until maintenance came to open the door. In addition, your luggage is "more" likely to make it if you have a longer layover. I have also been on flights where we had to run from one terminal to another terminal to make the plan and the luggage did not make it. I prefer at least a 2 hour layover between flights in case the earlier flight is delayed so I don't rush to the next gate.

I also agree with the poster about asking for help. It is better than sitting at the wrong gate for an hour thinking you are in the right place. Even if you think you are going the right direction, if you see airport staff, ask! They are usually more than willing to help or confirm you are in the right place. Smaller airports it is usually not an issue, but larger airports with multiple concourse/terminals can be confusing. Most of the magazines on the flights have maps of airports so you can see the airport layout to have a visual in your head of which way you need to go between flights.

Double check your carry on that you do not have any prohibited items. Some common items can be considered prohibited.

I fly a lot. I just flew international last week and my velour loungewear (sweats and hoodie) was perfect because it had no belt to take off through security, etc. You have to take the hoodie off at security. Flying with a laptop can be a pain going through security with taking it in and out of the case. I stopped carrying my laptop unless I have to have it for the trip. I agree, slip on shoes are the best for airports.

If you have a longer layover, that can be good. I have been on a flight where there was mechanical issues getting the door open and we were stuck on the plane at the gate and could not de-board until maintenance came to open the door. In addition, your luggage is "more" likely to make it if you have a longer layover. I have also been on flights where we had to run from one terminal to another terminal to make the plan and the luggage did not make it. I prefer at least a 2 hour layover between flights in case the earlier flight is delayed so I don't rush to the next gate.

I also agree with the poster about asking for help. It is better than sitting at the wrong gate for an hour thinking you are in the right place. Even if you think you are going the right direction, if you see airport staff, ask! They are usually more than willing to help or confirm you are in the right place. Smaller airports it is usually not an issue, but larger airports with multiple concourse/terminals can be confusing. Most of the magazines on the flights have maps of airports so you can see the airport layout to have a visual in your head of which way you need to go between flights.

Double check your carry on that you do not have any prohibited items. Some common items can be considered prohibited.
thank you :) my layover on the way there is an hour but the terminals are right next to each other so im not too worried. i didnt think about taking my hoodie off D:

I flew on my own for the first time last summer from state college PA, to washington dulles, then back home to london and I was so stressed out about it, but in the end it was totally fine. Like everyone else has said, just ask whenever your the tinyest bit in doubt, I ended up checking with someone that I was in the right place at the right time at just about every station (security/gate/luggage collection/check-in) but they were all really helpful and I guess they are used to teenagers flying alone and not being totally sure what to do :)
Good luck and Im sure you will be totally fine

I flown alone and honestly its nothing to stress about (coming from someone whos terrified of like everything haha) and make sure you have your cell phone/ipod/laptop or anything to keep you occupied when you sitting around waiting also dont be afraid to ask people for directions sometimes switching terminals is kinda confusing but if you ask for help- it can be super easy! im sure you'll be fine!

I'm the daughter of a flight attendant, the airport is my second home haha. It really isn't a big deal, go through security, go to your terminal and wait. Make sure you bring a LOT to keep you occupied on the plane. Trust me, things get boring very quickly. Sleep is probably your best friend. Turn your phone off when the flight attendants tell you to. I can't stress that one enough, it's their biggest pet peeve. Don't be afraid to ask them for help, as long as you're nice they are more than happy to help. It really is simple. Just don't over think things or stress yourself out:)

I've flown alone before, many a time. The first time I flew alone was international and it was a disaster lol (luggage got left behind in NYC, I was in Italy and didn't get it for a week. My phone was working domestic and I needed it to be international, I was 2 hours late for my chauffer to the port for the boat and couldn't call my boyfriend's parents. I was hysterically crying and don't speak italian..haha) :D, the second time, I was flying alone to a country where nobody was there to meet me so I had to figure everything out on my own haha. Actually, all the times I've flown alone, I was flying internationally...

It's not NEARLY as scary as you might think. The first time you might be nervous, but that's ok! Afterwards, you feel like a boss and that you can take on anything! My tips:
*Give yourself PLENTY of time to get everywhere. Plenty of time at your original airport, plenty of time at your layover, plenty of time to do any and everything. The more time you have, the less you'll be flustered about making deadlines and matching flights if something DOES go wrong.
*Have an initial water bottle and snack. Airport food can be PRICEY, and if your flight doesn't come with on-board meal you might get really hungry. I always pack a water bottle and nuts to hold me over as much as I can, although I have to drink the bottle before I can go through security (yes, I give myself THAT much time lol)..
*Wear easy slip-on/slip-off clothes, but I like simple layers. You might get hot/cold depending on if the temps for your destination are different, so it's nice to be able to layer a bit if you need to!
*Bring a book and charge up your devices! Nothing's worse than trying to sneakily charge your iphone on a stereo dock in an electronics store (Yes, my friends did that once. The manager was totally cool with it. Personally, I thought it was hilarious)..
*Write out as much as your can about your journey and give it to somebody so in case something happens, they'll know where you're supposed to be. Have a copy for yourself and research as much as you can (look at maps of your airports/terminals, what food/shops might be there, what airlines are near yours, times of arrivals/departures, plane #s). The more info you have going in, the easier it is to find things!

Good luck and have a blast! I love to fly now, whereas it used to TERRIFY me!

If you can print boarding passes ahead of time, do it! So much easier than trying to print them out there (just don't lose them before you get there).

After flying alone, I never want to fly with other people again haha

I can't even believe I was stressing! It was the easiest thing ever.

The Atlanta airport has the best vending machines ever and I got v8 Juice :). they also had outlets at the gate so I got to charge my phone there. The plane I was on showed a realtime map of the country and where the plane was so you could see how much longer you'd be flying.

On my flight home I have a five hour layover so I should be fine.
Thanks to everybody for all the advice, it definitely helped.

I can't even believe I was stressing! It was the easiest thing ever.

The Atlanta airport has the best vending machines ever and I got v8 Juice :). they also had outlets at the gate so I got to charge my phone there. The plane I was on showed a realtime map of the country and where the plane was so you could see how much longer you'd be flying.

On my flight home I have a five hour layover so I should be fine.
Thanks to everybody for all the advice, it definitely helped.

Bravo!!

I'm just leaving Washington dc. It's so awesome. My daddy took me to the smithsonian and I saw nastia liukins Olympic leotard, the pink one. Coolest thing ever.
I also love that it doesn't take long to drive through states on the east coast. I drove all the way through Maryland and Delaware yesterday and now I'm in Virginia. You just can't do that in California. I'm really loving it here.

I'm just leaving Washington dc. It's so awesome. My daddy took me to the smithsonian and I saw nastia liukins Olympic leotard, the pink one. Coolest thing ever.
I also love that it doesn't take long to drive through states on the east coast. I drove all the way through Maryland and Delaware yesterday and now I'm in Virginia. You just can't do that in California. I'm really loving it here.

Hey! Welcome to Virginia! Though you can't really get an idea how pretty we are in the winter...

Back