All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
now, i know i can't talk because i'm in college and i still look like i'm 12. but, the size of the athletes on these senior teams has seemed to downsize quite drastically. so either they all coincidentally have young looking athletes, or there was quite a large amount of seniors across the board last year. but you gotta do what you gotta do right?
anyone else notice this? or is this another sense that is off, kind of like my depth perception...

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with getting rid of the junior worlds divisions.

yeah i guess that would make sense. but dont you have to be at least 13 now to be on a senior team? some of those girls def. dont look 13...

fetuses have always been around (aka kelsey rule her first year on Stars) but now theres even more. IMO i feel like certain areas like Georgia and Mid-West gyms dont have that many compared to West Coast gyms. GA has always had bigger girls in the air. TG use to have big girls in the air, now they have fetuses. it seems like its a generation thing too. kids are just not growing as fast haha

Don't judge a book by its cover...

thanks alyssa! :)

i'm judging because it's sketchy. that's my opinion, say as you want but i'm sticking to it. and not even so much that i'm saying there aren't age eligible girls on the team, but the fact that it LOOKS BAD. i'm sorry. but ya'll should be able to toss around a girl that is the size of a rag doll... especially on coed teams.... if we want credibility and to be taken seriously, then throw a normal sized flyer around. I could base those girls...very big pet peeve.
annnnnd let the battle begin....

I agree I definitely prefer to see a decent sized flyer in the air, especially with long legs makes for great lines, over an itty bitty girl. But if some of these gyms don't have Jr 5 teams and there's a girl thats worlds aged with a double and a standing full etc. it would be dumb to not put her on the team. Plus the way stunting is now-a-days the only way some of these teams are going to be able to execute crazy stunt sequences is with tinier flyers. So you think from a coaches stand point you have to think bangin stunt sequences with small flyers or a less difficult stunt with bigger girls in the air.

I think a lot of it has to do with the generation coming into the senior teams right now. I have noticed not only in cheer but just walking down the street that kids are smaller then they were years ago. Not sure if it is just hormones in foods or what it is but nothing much can be done about it unless you are giving your child growth hormones. They will either grow out of it (look at Kelsey Rule she has grown out of the phase) or stay that size.

While it doesn't always look the best in the air, if they are age appropriate then not much can be done. If the skill is there then put them in the air.

Only time it becomes a problem with me is when it throws things off in a routine. I can't think of the team that has a tiny girl in their pryamid opposite of someone that looks like a normal size for a senior. It kind of throws the pyramid off.

Teeny tiny flyers KILL overall impression for me. There are flyers that are small, and then there are some who just look ridiculous.

I would not think any more highly of a team doing triple stretch to stretch tick tocks with 75-pound girls than I would of a team doing lib to stretch tick tocks with normal sized girls. But obviously I am not a judge, and that's probably a good thing.

i think alot of these tiny girls are up in the air due to the HUGE push for very hard mounting skills... its just easier to do release moves and twist skills and hit them extended, with lighter girls...

Don't judge a book by its cover...

werd...I still look 13! (and you don't want to know how old I am)
I'm 4'11'' as a full grown adult (can still fit in kids clothes) and when I was young I was even shorter and weighed less. Don't get me wrong, I was a great base in terms of strength..I could definitely hold my own..however, when you're that short how do you think that translates when it comes to stunts? Most of them either looked jacked up/uneven or it was hard for the other bases (or me) to have to compensate for my lack of height if I were to base. So flying was pretty much my main deal. What else can you do?......unless of course the majority of the squad is of similar stature :p

Teeny tiny flyers KILL overall impression for me. There are flyers that are small, and then there are some who just look ridiculous.

I would not think any more highly of a team doing triple stretch to stretch tick tocks with 75-pound girls than I would of a team doing lib to stretch tick tocks with normal sized girls. But obviously I am not a judge, and that's probably a good thing.

We can't help it we were built this way :(
I was so excited when I finally found a truck I could push the clutch all the way down w/o leaning :oops:

Back