All-Star Anyone Having Trouble Getting Released From Their Old Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All I see is a lot of whining. I am sorry. You know the rules. You commit to a gym for a year. Why is committing to a gym for a year so bad? If the gym decides to kick you out to take someone better and not release you, then THAT is a bad business. Speak with your dollar. You 'hire' a gym/coach/program for a year. At the end of that year you can 'fire' that gym and go somewhere else. There is always specific situations where it probably is not handled well, but that goes with any rule or law. It is kinda like the floor on age for Worlds. If they would just allow 11 year olds Angel (the amazing tumbler at Rays) could go to Worlds. IT IS SO UNFAIR!!!!! (sense the sarcasm). People, it is fine. The RULE is simple. Maybe you don't like the complications or the consequences, but the rule PROTECTS more teams than individuals it hurts. You agree to a year with a gym.

All I see is a lot of whining. I am sorry. You know the rules. You commit to a gym for a year. Why is committing to a gym for a year so bad? If the gym decides to kick you out to take someone better and not release you, then THAT is a bad business. Speak with your dollar. You 'hire' a gym/coach/program for a year. At the end of that year you can 'fire' that gym and go somewhere else. There is always specific situations where it probably is not handled well, but that goes with any rule or law. It is kinda like the floor on age for Worlds. If they would just allow 11 year olds Angel (the amazing tumbler at Rays) could go to Worlds. IT IS SO UNFAIR!!!!! (sense the sarcasm). People, it is fine. The RULE is simple. Maybe you don't like the complications or the consequences, but the rule PROTECTS more teams than individuals it hurts. You agree to a year with a gym.

King, I'm in favor of the rule. But what about my example? This kid wants to keep cheering for her team, but the owner wanted to use another athlete, so she's out.

King, I'm in favor of the rule. But what about my example? This kid wants to keep cheering for her team, but the owner wanted to use another athlete, so she's out.

It absolutely sucks. Not going to lie. But, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. And, mind you, this ONLY affects Worlds. One competition a year. She can go cheer at another gym on another level, be happy at another gym on a 4 or non worlds seeking 5, and then be happy with her transfer. And she can locally spread the word to her old friends of that gym and their tactics. Shady business practices will catch up with them at some point. But if you make exceptions for certain situations where do you draw the line? Best advice is choose a gym where you find the owners to be forthright and honest.

I did not read anywhere in the rule that said you had to have competed first. My interpretation is that once you are a registered member of gym x you must be released to go to gym y at ANY point in that "calendar" year. Teams are formed(lg, sm, coed) and choreography is planned and billed to the parents based on the teams composition. IDK, am I wrong in my interpretation? :confused: That would mean you have to not sign anything until you are 100% sure this is THE gym for the entire season!

All athletes participating on a team at The 2011 Worlds, must be a registered member of that team’s gym during the 2010 – 2011 competition season. Any athlete that has competed with another team from another gym (Primary Gym) or has been registered with the USASF as an athlete member from another gym (Primary Gym), during the same 2010 – 2011 competition season, will have to complete a USASF Gym Release Waiver, located at www.USASF.net, signed by the owner of that other gym (Primary Gym) before that athlete is eligible to compete at the 2011 Cheerleading Worlds with another gym (Secondary Gym). On The Cheerleading Worlds Roster, each athlete’s name will have to be identified as either an original participant of the team that was on the floor where the bid was received, a substitution or an alternate. All names on the team rosters will be verified by the event producers who awarded the Worlds bid.

:confused:This is all I can find. I am only basing my answer on what I've read on these boards 1,000,000,000 times. I don't actually deal with Worlds so I am not really that well versed. There are certain people on here I just believe because they have YEARS doing this. It says registered with the USASF, so i guess you'd just have to be signed up. But in the example she gave she said Level 4 vs. Level 5. And she just said try out, not actually signed up. I'm thinking she'd have to actually be on a Worlds level team at both gyms for any of this to matter, which didn't apply at the first gym. Also, everything I've read from everyone on here states that you can change gyms any time up until you compete. I guess I'm confused by what the rule means by "registered" (orange part) because I've never heard that part mentioned on here. Everyone always says you have until the first comp to make up your mind, but this rule is confusing to me.

@Kingston can you explain it because I am so confused. Thanks!

If you haven't competed with anyone yet, you are not 'tied' to that gym. You only register with the USASF if you are going to Worlds (for this season)

Boom goes the information dynamite.

I usually agree with most of your positions but disagree with you here. You are part of a large program and that gives you a very different perspective in which to support your view. If you are part of a small program with only other small gyms in your area in which to chose from your completely shut down. There is so much rivalry and hard feelings between gyms. Gym owners not releasing athletes gives them control of another gyms program. There also may not be a Level 4 or open 5 to go to and suck it up on. This is the reality for the majority of athletes and parents paying to participate in allstar cheer. There needs to be more defined exit guidelines to keep the gyms honest and above board.

I usually agree with most of your positions but disagree with you here. You are part of a large program and that gives you a very different perspective in which to support your view. If you are part of a small program with only other small gyms in your area in which to chose from your completely shut down. There is so much rivalry and hard feelings between gyms. Gym owners not releasing athletes gives them control of another gyms program. There also may not be a Level 4 or open 5 to go to and suck it up on. This is the reality for the majority of athletes and parents paying to participate in allstar cheer. There needs to be more defined exit guidelines to keep the gyms honest and above board.

I am lost as to how if an athlete chooses your program for a year it hurts you? Mostly this is to protect Rays from coming to a competition with Orange, watching them, and then me recruiting your athletes in the warmup room.

If you haven't competed with anyone yet, you are not 'tied' to that gym. You only register with the USASF if you are going to Worlds (for this season)

Boom goes the information dynamite.

Thank you! I wasn't sure exactly how the "registration" part worked. Hopefully at least one of my girls will get to experience Worlds one day!:oops: And thanks to the fiercboard I will sooooooo know what I am talking about by then!:D

OK, so then I'm back to my original stance. You pick a gym AFTER you research it and figure out it's where you want to be. And you stay there. And if you end up unhappy with your decision, then you finish out the season and move on. I do wish there was some kind of appeals process, but I am somewhat fearful that it would end up being a nightmare--I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who couldn't get released would be appealing to USASF to see that they are special. I think the only grounds for even submitting an appeal should be either that you've moved or gross misconduct on the gym's part--as I said last night this should be something that is imminently dangerous and harmful to the child. Like something worthy of pressing charges--not something that hurts your child's feelings.

The moving thing also I think is a cop out. Anyone serious enough to switch gyms might be serious enough to list their uncles address in california as their new place of residence, getting them released, moving to a new gym. Or moving to their uncles then moving back. The problem with exceptions is you create loopholes.

The moving thing also I think is a cop out. Anyone serious enough to switch gyms might be serious enough to list their uncles address in california as their new place of residence, getting them released, moving to a new gym. Or moving to their uncles then moving back. The problem with exceptions is you create loopholes.

Well that's true. I guess it all still goes back to being mature and handling it right. If, as a parent, I go to the gym and say "Well, I'm moving to Chicago for work. Here's some documentation. We'll be leaving in 6 weeks. Here's my payment for this month and next. Would you rather we still come to team practice for the 6 weeks, or would you rather just go ahead and replace them now? Whichever is best for you. But I'd like them to still take tumbling classes until we leave so they can stay in shape. Oh, and when it's time for us to leave, would you mind signing the release?"

Guess what folks? Chances are the gym owner is going to say "Oh no. We'll miss you. Sure I'll sign it. Good luck!"

If, on the other hand, you disappear in the night without paying, with no notice, etc. and then mail in your release form like "Hey. Sign this." Guess what. Probably not as nice of a response.

Be mature and responsible and stop expecting the world to just "owe" you stuff. Funny--this is how we left Fame, and we didn't need a release, but I'm sure it would have been no problem getting one. And even funnier...we're still on great terms with them, cheering them on from afar, and welcome back there any time if we move back that way. <sigh> I miss them.

kingston said:
I am lost as to how if an athlete chooses your program for a year it hurts you? Mostly this is to protect Rays from coming to a competition with Orange, watching them, and then me recruiting your athletes in the warmup room.

You are right that there are certain protections against recruiting etc with a year long commitment to a gym. Let me put it this way. If I come to Stingrays with my cp you will give her a tryout, place her on a team give me a comp schedule and the cost to participate. I feel pretty confident that you will be able to fulfill all if not most of what we have contracted for. Kids will show up at practice, music and choreography and routine will be well done etc. I don't think I will find too many un happy athletes and parents. Now imagine the total opposite gym experience and you can't get released. If a gym does not fulfill their contract to me as a customer you now give them ultimate control. That is never a good idea.

You are right that there are certain protections against recruiting etc with a year long commitment to a gym. Let me put it this way. If I come to Stingrays with my cp you will give her a tryout, place her on a team give me a comp schedule and the cost to participate. I feel pretty confident that you will be able to fulfill all if not most of what we have contracted for. Kids will show up at practice, music and choreography and routine will be well done etc. I don't think I will find too many un happy athletes and parents. Now imagine the total opposite gym experience and you can't get released. If a gym does not fulfill their contract to me as a customer you now give them ultimate control. That is never a good idea.

But this goes back to research before you sign. Before my kids EVER get signed up with a gym, they take a couple tumbling classes, I talk to the parents, I look at the gym's website and/or Facebook page, I look at comp results for at least a couple comps they went to, and I ask about all financial obligations I will have. There have been plenty of gyms that at first glance I thought "oooh...this is the one!!!" only to do a little further research and think "ooops. no it's not."

I just can not say enough times--WHY are people signing up for something as expensive as allstar cheer without making sure of what they're paying for???

Somewhat. But at the end of the season you are going to have a BUNCH of unhappy customers. And the gym down the street has a bunch of happy customers. Hi Suzy's mom, I heard you had a rough last season. Have you thought about trying out at our gym? We have plenty of happy parents.

Crappy gym is now closed for business.

Latest posts

Back