All-Star Anyone Having Trouble Getting Released From Their Old Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

kingston said:
Somewhat. But at the end of the season you are going to have a BUNCH of unhappy customers. And the gym down the street has a bunch of happy customers. Hi Suzy's mom, I heard you had a rough last season. Have you thought about trying out at our gym? We have plenty of happy parents.

Crappy gym is now closed for business.
My cp loves this too much and I spend too much time and money giving her the opportunity to become a casualty of a rule. I don't want her self esteem and progression forward to take a hit. I say that knowing the rules are suposed to benefit the masses. That is the reality of how a parent must look at this. I don't believe in gym hopping but in a small gym area you must look to see what teams a gym will have year to year. Sometimres you have to follow the teams and who is having it.
You are right that bad busines will come back at you. The next year all the disgruntled parents may go to Rays or CEA or WC etc. But what if there is not a big gym for you to go to? If you only have small programs and your choices are limited. Now the drama of not releasing athletes the seasion prior hangs in the air . I just think parents and athletes will hold off commiting with this rule. I wonder if we will see a free agent mentality next season?

When was this rule released this year? What month?

I thought it was at the beginning of the season (which I would guess was May), for worlds level teams only. I'm not 100% sure, but no one else was answering you. :)

The moving thing also I think is a cop out. Anyone serious enough to switch gyms might be serious enough to list their uncles address in california as their new place of residence, getting them released, moving to a new gym. Or moving to their uncles then moving back. The problem with exceptions is you create loopholes.

Because this has suppossedly happened in the past I agree with it being used as a cop out by some. I was trying to look at a legitmate reason to have an appeal process. I am all in favor of the rule and what it intends to do.

I thought it was at the beginning of the season (which I would guess was May), for worlds level teams only. I'm not 100% sure, but no one else was answering you. :)

It came out well after the summer but I can not remember the month.

Just-a-Mom said:
But this goes back to research before you sign. Before my kids EVER get signed up with a gym, they take a couple tumbling classes, I talk to the parents, I look at the gym's website and/or Facebook page, I look at comp results for at least a couple comps they went to, and I ask about all financial obligations I will have. There have been plenty of gyms that at first glance I thought "oooh...this is the one!!!" only to do a little further research and think "ooops. no it's not."

I just can not say enough times--WHY are people signing up for something as expensive as allstar cheer without making sure of what they're paying for???

Research will only get you so far. The teams and comps a gym went to last year may not be the ones they have next season. The teams they form and the comps they give you for the new season fall apart.

It came out well after the summer but I can not remember the month.

Oh really? Wow--that's a silly time for them to put out this kind of rule; it should definitely only apply for a new season. Well, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer you because now I'm curious too!

The timing of the release of this rule was not timely ( a few gyms had competed). BUT good news. We are all prepared for next season.

Research will only get you so far. The teams and comps a gym went to last year may not be the ones they have next season. The teams they form and the comps they give you for the new season fall apart.

But you run that risk with everything. I go out and buy a cheap car and it breaks down a lot I choose not to buy that car from that company again. The guy who cleans my gutters, if he does an awful job I don't hire him again.

Besides that same awful shady crappy gym can no longer promise all my kids free tuition and cookies to come to their gym mid season!

OK. I give up. I see what NewCheerDad was talking about with beating a dead horse. All most of us are trying to say is that overall the rule helps a whole lot more people than it hurts. Are there going to be instances where it sucks for a couple people? Of course. But that's true with all rules in life. There are always exceptions. Now I'm just repeating myself over and over. The fact of the matter is, it's a rule. If you guys are willing to take your chances and leave your gym for greener grass, then go for it. If these gyms are nearly as horrible as you all are making them sound, then you shouldn't be the only ones leaving--so they should be feeling the pinch in their wallets, and they can either change or close. If you're the only one leaving...you may have to consider that you might just be overreacting.

I'm sticking with what I've said all along--I like the rule. It's in place to help gyms and the poor kids that get left behind to pick up the pieces after people jump ship mid-season. Period.

The timing of the release of this rule was not timely ( a few gyms had competed). BUT good news. We are all prepared for next season.

But you run that risk with everything. I go out and buy a cheap car and it breaks down a lot I choose not to buy that car from that company again. The guy who cleans my gutters, if he does an awful job I don't hire him again.

Besides that same awful shady crappy gym can no longer promise all my kids free tuition and cookies to come to their gym mid season!

If I had of done the type of research that people are saying here before first signing up my daughter would be running track and not doing cheer. Not that they weren't good gyms but each one had issues that may would of prevented me from signing that first agreement. JMO.

Also it is not always the shaddy crappy gym offering free tuition and cookies...lol.

I agree the rule is good, I personally have never had someone come to our gym mid season or have someone leave mid season, but it's apparent that it happens and happens a lot and for the most part if you handle your buisness the right way when you do leave then you'll get released, no matter how many rules you put in there will be exceptions.

The only problem I have is when you gym kicks you out as in ACEDAD's example. You signed up for a gym for a year in good faith and planned to honor your part of the contract. A contract has to have the same termination clause for all the entities that signed it, if it's broken it's null and void and that's when you have to take legal action, cheer shouldn't come down to that. If that happened to my kids, we'd be done with cheer altogether, it's not worth the stress. That might sound ridiculous to some but that's how we are in So Cal, we're not good sports fans anyway, we always leave before the game ends even if we're winning haha

Truth is...this rule slipped in....dont get me wrong...I think we need to have membership cards tied to a club so as to stop "poaching"......but at the same time...this rule as it stands now is silly....a kid who goes to a comp and competes with NO parental signature or release....no release of liability with that gym....nothing on paper to enter into this bond....is bound....that is nuts.....all this is just another example of the rotten few spoiling it for the honest masses....IMO

In theory the idea of the rule is good. Implementation of the rule is terrible.
I have a problem with a governing body not governing. Having rules they have intention of making sure are being implementation properly. By saying "no exceptions" they mean they don't wan to be bothered with the implementation/enforcement part of the governing process.
I guess my biggest problem is that the rule was released after some of these kids had already competed this season. None of these athletes agreed to the rule or was able to consider it in their evaluation process.
I think we should expect more from our governing body than a dump and run type of mentality.

In theory the idea of the rule is good. Implementation of the rule is terrible.
I have a problem with a governing body not governing. Having rules they have intention of making sure are being implementation properly. By saying "no exceptions" they mean they don't wan to be bothered with the implementation/enforcement part of the governing process.
I guess my biggest problem is that the rule was released after some of these kids had already competed this season. None of these athletes agreed to the rule or was able to consider it in their evaluation process.
I think we should expect more from our governing body than a dump and run type of mentality.
agree!!!!!!!

Truth is...this rule slipped in....dont get me wrong...I think we need to have membership cards tied to a club so as to stop "poaching"......but at the same time...this rule as it stands now is silly....a kid who goes to a comp and competes with NO parental signature or release....no release of liability with that gym....nothing on paper to enter into this bond....is bound....that is nuts.....all this is just another example of the rotten few spoiling it for the honest masses....IMO

OK, I know I said I was giving up, but I had to come back. Don't you have to sign something at the beginning of the season? I've always had to sign something when my daughters register saying that I understand that allstar cheer is a commitment. It was pretty specific--that we were agreeing to be financially liable to the gym for the whole season, and that our kids understood that they were committing to a team for the season. Possibly (?) not totally enforceable, and not exactly what you mean, but I still wouldn't say there's "NO parental signature or release"--I had to sign about 6 or 7 pages worth of stuff at the beginning of the season. If a gym doesn't have something like this in place then maybe they should. Even the little tiny gym we went to our fist season had this. And I'd imagine if this rule does go into effect for all levels, any gym with half a business sense would add a form that states the rule very clearly as well as very clearly spell out their procedures for release. I hope...

Back