OT Apartment Animals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 28, 2010
Ok, so I will be living in an apartment this upcoming summer for the next year for college with 2 of my bestfriends, and my mom will be moving to Kansas in June and is taking my dog (my step dad, who lives up there due to job transfer has land and also a lab that my dog loves to play with) :( My friend has a yorkie she is bringing and my other friend has her cat, and my mom said that she would buy me a dog that I can keep up there in the apartment with me, now idk what breed to choose. The dog I have now is a Standard schnauzer and is the perfect size IMO (weighs about 30 lbs) I don't want one that sheds alot, so what dog breed do you reccomend that would be OK living in an apartment?

Sorry its long :p

This is gonna sound a little crazy, but hear me out: A greyhound. My sister had greyhounds and lived in an apartment. You would think they would need lots of room to run, or whatever, and they do, but they're sprinters. So they only need that once or twice a day, max. She would take them to a nearby park, with an enclosed baseball diamond and let them run laps. When they got back, they crashed for the rest of the day. Plus, very little shedding, and as long as you keep the dog brushed, you're good. Much bigger than 30 lbs, but really easy to handle, and her dogs ended up moving in with another mixed-breed dog, 3 cats, a couple of birds and probably some random reptile, and they were perfectly fine. Plus, you could rescue from the track and that's a warm fuzzy right there.

Doe anyone think Mini Australian Sheapard would be good?

No! I have one and they do not make good apartment dogs. They do best when walked 1.5-3 miles 2x a day, plus plenty of outside play time. They also need a "job" so they dont tear up your couch....or shoes...or favorite sunglasses...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

No! I have one and they do not make good apartment dogs. They do best when walked 1.5-3 miles 2x a day, plus plenty of outside play time. They also need a "job" so they dont tear up your couch....or shoes...or favorite sunglasses...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Lol thank you!! I have alot of stuff i'd rather not have puppy teeth marks on ;)

aulstralian shepards are so pretty though...

I have a yorkie, my advice, get it young and either puppy pad train it or make it learn to go outside then. If not, it will pee all over your house no matter how much you try to train it...

aulstralian shepards are so pretty though...

I have a yorkie, my advice, get it young and either puppy pad train it or make it learn to go outside then. If not, it will pee all over your house no matter how much you try to train it...
I would rather not use a puppy pad, they stink up the place lol

I have Mini Australian Shepherds and Siberian Huskies.. I recommend staying away from both lol

My dog is a maltese/ shih-tzu mix and they are on the smaller side only about 4-10 pounds but they are very cute dogs and are great for apartments.

Shitzus! I absolutely adore them. They're so sweet! I don't have one myself (I have a beagle, which I would not recommend for an apartment, lol), but I've never met a mean Shitzu. Or a Sheltie. They're expensive, but my family had had one since I was born and she lived to be 17 years old! So she was definitely worth the money! She was the sweetest dog, too. I want to get another when I move out.

I'm going to back everyone else up on the anti-mini australian shepherd, also. The one that lives up the street from me is like 2 years old and it completely ruined the owner's yard and never stops barking. He's super cute, but also super destructive.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered a shelter dog? You could get one that is a year or two old and it will almost certainly already be house trained, spayed/neutered, and you'll be saving the little doggie's life! We adopted my beagle from the shelter and he isn't an apartment dog, but he is DEFINITELY a sweet little snuggle muffin! haha!

This is gonna sound a little crazy, but hear me out: A greyhound. My sister had greyhounds and lived in an apartment. You would think they would need lots of room to run, or whatever, and they do, but they're sprinters. So they only need that once or twice a day, max. She would take them to a nearby park, with an enclosed baseball diamond and let them run laps. When they got back, they crashed for the rest of the day. Plus, very little shedding, and as long as you keep the dog brushed, you're good. Much bigger than 30 lbs, but really easy to handle, and her dogs ended up moving in with another mixed-breed dog, 3 cats, a couple of birds and probably some random reptile, and they were perfectly fine. Plus, you could rescue from the track and that's a warm fuzzy right there.
Omg a miniature greyhound would be ADORABLE!!!

I would rather not use a puppy pad, they stink up the place lol
Your apartment is going to smell anyways with a cat and two dogs... Just warning you. We had two cats and one dog in my HOUSE and you could smell the pets. In a small space it can get kind of stinky with that many animals.

shih tzu's are perfect. you'll love them! i got one for my birthday and i love her, i didn't really want that type of dog at first but i began to love her and they are very smart.

be wary of small dogs. they tend to be yippier and in an apartment setting, your neighbors might not like that too much.

i've kicked my wall a few times when my neighbor's dog starts yipping at 730 in the morning.

Back