All-Star Are Loopholes What 'make' Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
So all this legality talk has stirred some controversy. And I got to thinking: Why do we allow loopholes? Is it a short sited reason that in the long run doesn't make sense?

One one side is the industry itself heading towards legitimacy (sometimes I think we the people are dragging it there kicking and screaming) with set iron clad rules, regulations, standardizations, ALL the things other sports do and have. What you do on the floor that wins is not relevant to what rule grey area you discovered.

On the other side is this feeling that if we close everything off, if we standardize it, we completely kill what has 'made' this sport. Innovation, coming up with all the new cool stuff, is why we are different and we must protect that.

So I ask how important is the idea that there can still be innovation in cheerleading? We must feel like we have the ability to always make something new? If that piece right there.. the idea that there is some legality we havent searched out yet to make up something new or even that there is a combination of 17 jumps we havent done yet.. and that is why we are all in this.. what happens in 20 years when we have discovered 99.9999999999999% of the ways of getting into things? Obviously the combination and the skill itself would still matter, but if we run out of things to try will this sport just up and die?

If all grey areas were closed off tomorrow, what would happen?

My .02 (for what it is worth). I think many of the loopholes in cheer are "allowed" because of the almighty $. From the gym level to the event producer level... "Exceptions" are made for what ultimately boils down to money. Sometimes I wonder how many decisions are really made to help promote the legitimacy of this sport vs. to line someones pocketbook!

Our sport needs better defined rules, regulations, and exceptions. I don't think this will hurt the sport, its not like you have to do something illegal to be innovative, you just have to use the rules in a new way. To me you're not being innovative if what you made up isn't even allowed to be performed. Some kind of loop hole will always exist, & as long as it doesn't give people the right to do something illegal on a technicality, I'm fine with it.

I think those grey areas are important to pushing the creative boundaries...but should never push the safety ones if a rule is there simply for safety (example being prone landings) it needs to not be pushed ever. That road only leads back to a catastrophic injury and further regulation simply because someone chose to make up their own definition of a word (example being prone).

I think those grey areas are important to pushing the creative boundaries...but should never push the safety ones if a rule is there simply for safety (example being prone landings) it needs to not be pushed ever. That road only leads back to a catastrophic injury and further regulation simply because someone chose to make up their own definition of a word (example being prone).

What happens when we run out of boundaries to push? Think 20 years from now.

Meaning, when we run out of boundaries does cheerleading cease to exist? All these things we do to protect the ability to innovate and push because that IS cheerleading (or what makes our sport great).. what happens when all that goes away? Or is that our 'children's' problem?

i completely agree. as long safety is compromised i'm all for innovation. i love seeing lower level teams pushing the boundaries with visuals and stunts to make it unique. innovation is definitely a key element in our sport.

i completely agree. as long safety is compromised i'm all for innovation. i love seeing lower level teams pushing the boundaries with visuals and stunts to make it unique. innovation is definitely a key element in our sport.

what happens in 20 years when there is little to no innovation left?

What happens when we run out of boundaries to push? Think 20 years from now.

I think that with our ability to change/modify rules in cycles like we have currently will give us the ability to adapt down the road...cheerleading will only go the way of the dinosaurs when we fail to change like them...or a meteor hits us whichever occurs first lol

I think that with our ability to change/modify rules in cycles like we have currently will give us the ability to adapt down the road...cheerleading will only go the way of the dinosaurs when we fail to change like them...or a meteor hits us whichever occurs first lol

so if we are not able to adapt the rules to allow us to innovate more (meaning to protect innovation) then cheerleading will go away?

so if we are not able to adapt the rules to allow us to innovate more (meaning to protect innovation) then cheerleading will go away?

If routines end up becoming compulsory looking i don't think that people will be as interested to join/continue cheerleading...the sport will be there but i'm sure the numbers would drop off and the overall sport would shrink. Simply look at the universal scoresheet arguement....many people fear a universal scoresheet simply because they fear it will back us into a corner where we all use the same routine. I think that as much as people enjoy certain facets of cheerleading this sport will always have some impact on people, I for one know that as long as I can physically stunt I will be doing so! haha

I think you're taking it to the extreme and its not that serious. Being more strict on the rules won't kill our sport.

I think you're taking it to the extreme and its not that serious. Being more strict on the rules won't kill our sport.

I agree with you. It is a point I am trying to make. I think cheerleading will still be around and exist even if we close loopholes. Otherwise what we are doing has not long to exist.

If routines end up becoming compulsory looking i don't think that people will be as interested to join/continue cheerleading...the sport will be there but i'm sure the numbers would drop off and the overall sport would shrink. Simply look at the universal scoresheet arguement....many people fear a universal scoresheet simply because they fear it will back us into a corner where we all use the same routine. I think that as much as people enjoy certain facets of cheerleading this sport will always have some impact on people, I for one know that as long as I can physically stunt I will be doing so! haha

I think the 'innovation' part of cheerleading is nearing the end of its life. And as soon as we stop trying to protect that dying facet we become more legitimate. Happy said at the NACCC the days of 30 second cowboy dances are long gone, and cheerleading survived that. We replaced innovating dances with innovative skills. Now the skills part is closing, so what will be left?

I also disagree that people join cheerleading JUST because we keep coming up with new stuff. They join because its awesome. And it will continue to be awesome without or without loopholes.

Just as technology has improved over the decades/centuries, peoples' ability to invent new cheer moves will also improve over the decades. I have no concern whatsoever that this sport will become boring or lack innovation, regardless of how many rules are placed on it. NOTHING stays the same forever, well except God. :)

Back