All-Star Are Loopholes What 'make' Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with you. It is a point I am trying to make. I think cheerleading will still be around and exist even if we close loopholes. Otherwise what we are doing has not long to exist.

Gotcha

I think we just need to kill the term loophole in our sport, we shouldn't be trying to find ways around safety rules, they're there for a reason. You can be innovative using a rule in a new way and still abide by that rule.

I think the 'innovation' part of cheerleading is nearing the end of its life. And as soon as we stop trying to protect that dying facet we become more legitimate. Happy said at the NACCC the days of 30 second cowboy dances are long gone, and cheerleading survived that. We replaced innovating dances with innovative skills. Now the skills part is closing, so what will be left?

I also disagree that people join cheerleading JUST because we keep coming up with new stuff. They join because its awesome. And it will continue to be awesome without or without loopholes.

There are loopholes right now because the sport is still in its relative infancy as a regulated entity. Most sports have been around for decades, and the "lack of loopholes" doesn't hurt them.

I'll use an example of a relatively new sport - mixed martial arts and the UFC. For years, the sport was a patchwork of regulations based on the event promoter, location, etc. As that patchwork of regulations has mostly evolved into a single set of rules (many of which created restrictions on what could be done) the sport gained a legitimacy that it didn't have before. That, along with creating new stars, has helped get UFC coverage on ESPN because you could take it seriously as a sport.

I think that tighter, more defined rules - along with consistent scoring - will help far more than it will hurt.

I think the 'innovation' part of cheerleading is nearing the end of its life. And as soon as we stop trying to protect that dying facet we become more legitimate. Happy said at the NACCC the days of 30 second cowboy dances are long gone, and cheerleading survived that. We replaced innovating dances with innovative skills. Now the skills part is closing, so what will be left?

I also disagree that people join cheerleading JUST because we keep coming up with new stuff. They join because its awesome. And it will continue to be awesome without or without loopholes.

I don't want my comment to be confused as saying that people only join for innovation...i certainly didn't join for that haha Stunting brought me into this great world that is cheerleading. My arguement about staying away from compulsory routines is simply from seeing how gymnastics has gone from a powerhouse industry to one that is dwindling daily. My only hopes are to avoid that fate at all costs.

And on the topic of innovation and originality i took a class in HS and our teacher presented an idea and i cannot remember the name of the person who came up with it but it basically stated that there are no ORIGINAL ideas....everything is now influenced in part by what you have seen. so i don't think that by closing loopholes that the sport will lose its innovation...but it will make people work harder to get to that point... some will just find it easier to be more compulsory.

I agree. People still flock to figure skating and gymnastics (as examples) and I think those sports are definitely past the "innovative" phase. I know people want to keep cheer from having compulsory exercises, but at the same time, having that hasn't killed other sports. (Not saying I would want cheer routines to have compulsory elements, but just using the example.) :)

I agree. People still flock to figure skating and gymnastics (as examples) and I think those sports are definitely past the "innovative" phase. I know people want to keep cheer from having compulsory exercises, but at the same time, having that hasn't killed other sports. (Not saying I would want cheer routines to have compulsory elements, but just using the example.) :)

Well, from a different argument we ALREADY have compulsory elements. All the levels but 5 (and I guess 6) are completely compulsory. Do you win Mini 1 without squad backwalkovers? Level 5 is getting that way as well.

And I still love me some Mini 1.

Well, from a different argument we ALREADY have compulsory elements. All the levels but 5 (and I guess 6) are completely compulsory. Do you win Mini 1 without squad backwalkovers? Level 5 is getting that way as well.

True!

I can obviously agree with the semi compulsory elements in the lower levels (It's not what you do but how you do it!) but theres also the trickle down effect and it happens in all levels and styles of cheerleading across the board...yesterdays AG college elites wind up in the next seasons AG HS pyramids as an example...for most people the carrot on the stick is Worlds and that means the discussion is on 5s and 6s...so if those divisions can keep the creativity up then someone at a lower level will try and make the same visual legal in their level...and as long as it doesnt increase risk to the performers or break rules go for it...i think grey areas that respect performer safety only help to nourish this creativity and i don't see any issue with that. Not that i am close-minded about making the rules more clear cut and narrowing those grey areas.

True.

Do you think that eventually we will have even higher levels of cheer? Like high school kids would be eligible to do level 6? And a new level 7 might be introduced for college? I know this sounds absurd right now, but think about it......when we started cheer seven years ago a standing full was unheard of for young kids. Squads won Worlds with 1 double and straight up stunts. Now look at us!! I think as our industry learns (from gymnastics) that conditioned athletes are able to do more safely, we will see boundaries pushed further.

That is why I do not understand the push to make tumbling worth less on the scoresheet........innovations in tumbling are still possible.

Do you think that eventually we will have even higher levels of cheer? Like high school kids would be eligible to do level 6? And a new level 7 might be introduced for college? I know this sounds absurd right now, but think about it......when we started cheer seven years ago a standing full was unheard of for young kids. Squads won Worlds with 1 double and straight up stunts. Now look at us!! I think as our industry learns (from gymnastics) that conditioned athletes are able to do more safely, we will see boundaries pushed further.

That is why I do not understand the push to make tumbling worth less on the scoresheet........innovations in tumbling are still possible.
I agree with you 100%. It amazes me that the "powers that be" do not recognize this as well. I've heard so many complain about there being too much emphasis on tumbling BUT haven't stunts progressed at the same pace as tumbling? Why can't it just be equal? I don't get it. If the IO5/6 divisions want to do their own thing then have at it but why does it need to mess with everything else? Stunts, tumbling, jumps, dance, pyramid, baskets should all be worth lets just say 10 for sake of argument and may the best team win. Is that really so hard?

I still believe BASIC skills can be adapted to be extremely creative, EX. who remembers the rubber band? TG did it (its legal lvl 2) performed once and I remember seeing multiple COLLEGE teams competing it just weeks later. EX. The first time people tumbled at each other ( I'm talking about all four corners tumbling towards the center at the same time) that can be done lvl 1 - lvl 6.

As long as there are creative minds creativity will continue, regardless of restrictions.

what is any sport if it cannot constantly be growing? the olympics would not be interesting if there werent faster times, better athletes, more competition. cheerleading must have room for innovations or our beloved sport will lose fans and athletes. also, if there is no room for innovations, soon every team will be throwing the same skills because every year there are more and more excellent teams.

I definitely think loopholes (and gray areas) make cheer what it is. It's how we push the limits and keep the sports moving forward.
Remember 'pony flips'? Gray areas is what we use to keep the industry in motion:)

I see both sides to this. I think you first have to determine where we WANT to be 20 years from now. If the goal is to break into the Olympics (as as it appears me) then we may have to close all the loopholes there may be to eliminate the gray area.

I agree with you 100%. It amazes me that the "powers that be" do not recognize this as well. I've heard so many complain about there being too much emphasis on tumbling BUT haven't stunts progressed at the same pace as tumbling? Why can't it just be equal? I don't get it. If the IO5/6 divisions want to do their own thing then have at it but why does it need to mess with everything else? Stunts, tumbling, jumps, dance, pyramid, baskets should all be worth lets just say 10 for sake of argument and may the best team win. Is that really so hard?

I still believe BASIC skills can be adapted to be extremely creative, EX. who remembers the rubber band? TG did it (its legal lvl 2) performed once and I remember seeing multiple COLLEGE teams competing it just weeks later. EX. The first time people tumbled at each other ( I'm talking about all four corners tumbling towards the center at the same time) that can be done lvl 1 - lvl 6.

As long as there are creative minds creativity will continue, regardless of restrictions.

I am not a fan that the cheer section is being taken off the score sheet. It doesn't make sense to me that a cheer team would just dance, tumble and stunt without a cheer at all. I LOVE the other parts I just don't want to lose the cheer portion,

Back