Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
KAGS TV

They removing cheer as a class period/sport at my daughters high school. I can not speak much on it since I work for the district, but am very disappointed at responses under this. I wish more people had respect for Cheerleading.

KAGS TV
9 hrs ·
Bryan ISD parents!

Cheerleading is being removed as a class period at Bryan High School. Now, it will only be an after school activity. Some local parents are upset about this.

Anyone think this is an issue?

Comments such as cheer should never be a class, cheer isn't a sport, that's not a class, etc. Just disappointing. They seem to have disappeared, weird.

The only way I could see sports being a class as beneficial would be in areas were the majority of students have to have jobs to support themselves or their families. At my high school you didn't get done with practice until after 5, and sometimes you didn't even start until six so having a job and doing sports was almost impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an article stating that it will be back as a class next semester. Will that be next school year?

Does their sport counting as a class mean they don't have required PE/gym. That's how my high school was. I only had gym one term freshman year. Then as long as you played a sport, you weren't required to log fitness hours.

Does their sport counting as a class mean they don't have required PE/gym. That's how my high school was. I only had gym one term freshman year. Then as long as you played a sport, you weren't required to log fitness hours.

That is how it worked for us.

We don't have sports as classes here in Maryland. All sports are after school activities

At my school, all sports are after school activities. Honestly a bit interested in what it looks like when a sport is a class, how are grades awarded and how does it effect GPA? Do the teams still practice after school?

At my daughter's HS (in a suburb of Dallas), they do have class periods dedicated to sports (cheer is one of them). They're listed under "athletics". Each coach determines how they award grades. When my daughter was in HS cheer last year, they graded them on tumbling, their performance and participation in games, etc. They also had tests on cheers/chants and knowledge of the sports they were cheering for. This year she's in the track class period and I don't think she's graded on anything. All her grades entered are "100". LOL! But, the grades for athletics are not counted in their GPA. For her HS graduation requirements, she's only required to complete 1.0 credit of PE/Athletics which her first semester of cheer freshman year satisfied. Any subsequent semesters of an athletic class period only count as "local electives" and do not count towards her total elective credit graduation requirements. So those kids who do sports in class periods every year have to be very careful with how they plan out their schedules.
Most sports teams that have practice during a class period also hold additional practice times before or after school during their sport's season.

Just seeing this now, but all sports in Maine are after school activities. We only took PE as a freshman and had no physical activity requirements after that. Does a sports period take away from being able to have a study period? With all the clubs and organizations I was involved in that met before and after school, and with all star cheering (I'm excluding school cheer because I assume they don't practice additionally after school), it would would have been extremely difficult to keep up with all the school work from my classes without a study hall.

Back