OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I really don't want to come across as a Gabby hater---I'm more indifferent, but I would hate to see Laurie out of the AA race because of Gabby.
I think she might be. Not because they want Gabby in AA per se, but just because shes there at all. Due to the way bars works out in qualifiers.

If there is a reasoning, it's equal parts Gabby being present (or I guess Madison too in that case, since they both should take a bars qualifying spot) and Aly trying for AA, since that puts her on bars as well.

In short, I don't think Marta will CHOOSE Gabby over Laurie for all around, I just think it's going to work out that way.

If gabby does bars in qualifiers they might as well have her do all events to have 3 girls going for AA... But if she's not going to medal on bars (which she isn't, she MIGHT qualify for event finals but she won't place) what's the point in having her compete just to possibly make event finals... Plus she would probably be 3rd AA from the US and not get to compete all around anyway... IMO Seems like as the defending AA champion if you aren't a shoo in for AA (like Simone) its better to bow out gracefully than try to make finals and then not make it.
I'm team Laurie clearly. I just don't think gabby should have exceptions made for her just because she's the defending champ or for her to maybe/maybe not make EF in bars but she probably will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If gabby does bars in qualifiers they might as well have her do all events to have 3 girls going for AA... But if she's not going to medal on bars (which she isn't, she MIGHT qualify for event finals but she won't place) what's the point in having her compete just to possibly make event finals... Plus she would probably be 3rd AA from the US and not get to compete all around anyway... IMO Seems like as the defending AA champion if you aren't a shoo in for AA (like Simone) its better to bow out gracefully than try to make finals and then not make it.
I'm team Laurie clearly. I just don't think gabby should have exceptions made for her just because she's the defending champ or for her to maybe/maybe not make EF in bars but she probably will.

I think they will end up with Gabby on bars, so she will end up trying for AA. Not sure about her chance at bars but I think they are willing to try, since they brought her. I'm a HUGE Laurie fan, but I think if Gabby hits she would outscore her- particularly in international competition. Laurie is awesome, but she was a little overscored at Trials in my opinion. If Gabby is on her game she can contend with Aly for the second AA spot.

It's important to remember that Gabby isn't attending the Olympics to go for an individual bars medal. She's attending the Olympics to perform bars in the team event to ensure the US gets gold

Whether she would get a medal in bars finals is neither here nor there. That is Madison's job. The US is "weak"-ish on bars and that's why Gabby is there

The gymnastics AA is kind of like International division at worlds. Only top 2/3 per country of competition move to finals even though lower placed US athletes/teams could beat other country finalists. [emoji1]

This basically is all speculation at this point. Just because marta gave gabby a break and put her back on the team, doesnt mean shes automatically going to be put her on all four events, considering all the talent again thats on this years team.

This basically is all speculation at this point. Just because marta gave gabby a break and put her back on the team, doesnt mean shes automatically going to be put her on all four events, considering all the talent again thats on this years team.
Of course. But what we're saying is she might default into all four events because of the way bars would be set up in qualifications and not necessarily because she's "better" than Laurie or Marta thinks we need her score on all four.

I'm still not sure why they would use Aly on bars at all. It's definitely her weakest event and I'd say the other 4 are better than her on bars anyway. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens, I'm rooting for Laurie to do AA.

I'm still not sure why they would use Aly on bars at all. It's definitely her weakest event and I'd say the other 4 are better than her on bars anyway. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens, I'm rooting for Laurie to do AA.

That's definitely true, and they wouldn't use her in team finals. But she's more than likely going to compete (or hope to compete) in all around seeing as she's really the second most consistent of the group. Which means she HAS to do bars in qualifiers. That score won't count for anything for any medal purposes though.

I'd hardly consider it a "break". I've said it before, Gabby at her worst is better than most at their best. She would have been 4th in the AA at trials without the fall on a standing full on beam. Three weeks ago I would have been fine if Gabby was not selected, but I saw some fight in her on Sunday. I hope she carries that through training, because if she does and Martha gets her head fully back in the game, I think you are going to see a much different (or more like the same 2012) Gabby for the Olympics.

I'd hardly consider it a "break". I've said it before, Gabby at her worst is better than most at their best. She would have been 4th in the AA at trials without the fall on a standing full on beam. Three weeks ago I would have been fine if Gabby was not selected, but I saw some fight in her on Sunday. I hope she carries that through training, because if she does and Martha gets her head fully back in the game, I think you are going to see a much different (or more like the same 2012) Gabby for the Olympics.

I agree. She is strong, she is working through some things. 10 days at the ranch will do her good. I think she wants it, but she is also not a 16 year old anymore. That does not mean she doesn't want to be there, but maturity has set in and I am sure nerves have too. But she was a good choice and to the selection committee, the right choice.

Martha and the coaches will decide who are the athletes that will compete on all events in qualifications to have a chance at the all-around. They will choose who is likely to succeed and medal. We should be really excited to watch this team and the potential of this team, no matter who is in the All-Around. :)

Don't forget the Germans and Rebecca Downie from team GB. Kim Bui, Pauline Schäfer and Elisabeth Seitz all scored in the 15s at the German Olympic trials recently, those 8 UB EF spots are not going to anyone without a fight.

Also, Sanne Wevers has been looking really good on balance beam. She's peaked at the right time:

Her difficultly may be a tenth or two below Biles depending on the execution of connections (her D-score here was 6.7), but the elements she performs are at a lower risk of execution deductions (biggest deduction I could see here would probably be the piking down of her Steingruber dismount). Ideally, I'd like to see everyone hit during BB EF and not like Worlds 2015 where it was a fall fest...

I don't follow international gymnastics. What little I've seen, it seems that other countries do more turns on beam and America pretty much just tumbles. Is there a reason other countries don't tumble as much, or America doesn't turn as much?

Back