OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
The beads are a bit bizarre but then again Chellsie Memmels dad was giving her stickers for good workouts at age 20. I guess whatever works also Kim used the hashtag #biggirlsgymnastics for Ragan on her Instagram I found that slightly odd. I kind of partially get the feeling this has more to do with Kim than anything. I might be wrong about that though.
Apparently when they went to sign in at Nationals, they asked Ragan if she was a junior, and her response was "I'm a big girl this year" so maybe that's where the hashtag started? idk

Apparently when they went to sign in at Nationals, they asked Ragan if she was a junior, and her response was "I'm a big girl this year" so maybe that's where the hashtag started? idk

I saw something on Kim's Instagram about referring to the Juniors as the "little guys" so that might be part of why she responded like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I voice my distaste for Al Trautwig? And how he referred to Laurie as a "beauty" and Nastia as "annoying". Like, I'm sorry....what? The second was kind of a joke a suppose but still in bad taste.

He would have never dreamed of calling a male gymnast either one of those things. Creepy and weird.

Can I voice my distaste for Al Trautwig? And how he referred to Laurie as a "beauty" and Nastia as "annoying". Like, I'm sorry....what? The second was kind of a joke a suppose but still in bad taste.

He would have never dreamed of calling a male gymnast either one of those things. Creepy and weird.
My dislike for Al goes back years and years...probably before many people on here were born. As a NY Ranger fan, I've been stuck with him for an eternity

Anyway, the Nastia thing was a joke, you can actually hear her laugh as he said it. But, you are right. While Laurie is a beautiful child, she's there because she's an athlete. No one (outside of me) would discuss a male gymnast based on his looks.

i missed all of olympic trials, but saw parts on youtube, whats up with the beads thing.

During P&G the announcers informed us Kim Zmeskal rewards her 15 year old (soon to be 16) gymnast, Ragan Smith with beads. For a good routine she gets 2 beads. If she pouts or is a bad teammate she has to give some of the beads away to her teammate (who probably stand there like WTF). The then showed an half empty container of beads.

In general the discussion about Ragan Smith made he sound more like a 5 year old than a soon to be 16 year old. Tiny people problems

Yeah I felt like the "beauty" comment was an unnecessary one. It's weird coming from an old man and it's weird because it's not needed. It wasn't a beauty pageant, why are you commenting on physical appearance?. You didn't hear him say "Danell Leyva certainly is a stunning young man" nor did you hear Nastia say " John Orozco is fine"

Comment on the gymnastic and leave the thoughts of appearance and anecdotes about beads in the corner. If this is the only way to "humanize" them then just don't

Yeah I felt like the "beauty" comment was an unnecessary one. It's weird coming from an old man and it's weird because it's not needed. It wasn't a beauty pageant, why are you commenting on physical appearance?. You didn't hear him say "Danell Leyva certainly is a stunning young man" nor did you hear Nastia say " John Orozco is fine"

Comment on the gymnastic and leave the thoughts of appearance and anecdotes about beads in the corner. If this is the only way to "humanize" them then just don't

Even the "annoying" thing. Like you could tell it was a joke, but had a former male gymnast been sitting there he never would have said someone "got to stand next to this annoying guy".

I also came across this and LOLed

I agree that the comments on the female gymnasts' appearance are uncalled for - unfortunately, I think it's more the public that they are appealing to though than announcers being creepy. Americans always want to make the smaller gymnast girls national sweethearts or whatever you want to call it - I remember it with Mary Lou, Karrie Strug, Dominique M. and even Shawn Johnson - heck, I remember the media talking up how cute and adorable and destined to win Shawn was during the 2008 Olympics that there was set of people who were actually angry at Nastia for beating her. Looks like they are trying to make Laurie into one of those cute little girls that everyone adores, etc. cause that gets them ratings and sells posters. so that's what the comment was about. I think Ragan Smith and the crap w/ the beads is a similar thing - the general public (not us on this board, but the regular people who don't know anything about gym/cheer) would just love seeing this little girl (even though she really isn't a little girl, but she looks like one so heck, they'll go with it) rock the Olympics - they could even sell bead necklaces as a merchandising gimmick after she wins the beam medal. Eye roll.

Totally true that they'd NEVER do this stuff w/ a male athlete. Men are rarely judged on their appearance in athletics - it's a huge double standard and always has been. However, I do think things are getting a little better than they used to be when it comes to this stuff compared to say a generation ago.

Also why is Tim's polo tighter than Nastia's?

Ok I'm done.

I was bothered by his moobs men's day 1 and they just kept coming back night after night

But since he's a man nobody offered him spanx

With Kim Zmeskal only being 4'7" you'd think she'd be all too familiar with being treated like a little kid even as a teenager/adult and would do the opposite with Ragan, not baby her.

Tim's moobs were disturbingly distracting every time they cut to the announcers.

Back