OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I don't believe the monkey emoji was used maliciously. That's ridiculous. But she's made more than her share of embarrassing and offensive comments so it's no witch hunt. And when given the opportunity to learn and realize what she's done she's just block everyone instead. She's 19 she's not a baby. Her and her coach would be wise not to voice every disappointment of Facebook and Twitter. Especially if you're going to see that person at camp. In the heat of the moment probably best to talk your hands off your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are people really going that low and saying the monkey emoji is representing black people..... like i cant i just cant. Ive defended both sides of the fence when it comes to the problems in the world that we are facing, but for people to say using a monkey emoji is racist, is pathetic.
can we keep this on gymnastics please...

i really liked mykayla during trials and i honestly was bummed not to see her make it, and to be quite honest i had picked her over gabby. But i guess i can see why marta picked gabby, isnt bars the only event gabby essentially hit both days at trials???? and maybe thats the only event marta cared to see her hit, simply cause that might be her only role being on the team, who knows.
Well, she technically hit vault and floor too if we're talking no falls. Selection is so much more than that one event. To the outside fan who only watches the Olympics at right before, it looked bad for Gabby. People who haven't seen her since London. But realistically there's years of competition to be considered, and just 9 months ago Gabby was a Worlds silver medalist. Trials wasn't her best but one weekend shouldn't define her whole quad.

That's the reason why Martha essentially had the team picked since the spring and used these competitions to confirm.

I don't believe the monkey emoji was used maliciously. That's ridiculous. But she's made more than her share of embarrassing and offensive comments so it's no witch hunt. And when given the opportunity to learn and realize what she's done she's just block everyone instead. She's 19 she's not a baby. Her and her coach would be wise not to voice every disappointment of Facebook and Twitter. Especially if you're going to see that person at camp. In the heat of the moment probably best to talk your hands off your phone

I agree.

And for the record nobody is saying that the monkey emoji is "racist" but it is naive to not acknowledge that it has been used with racist intent by plenty of people online....and given her history of inappropriate tweets (racially and homophobic), why exactly would it be shocking if she did know exactly what she was doing when she rt'd it.

At the end of the day this girl was awarded an opportunity to represent the country in a way that most people wouldn't dare dream. If she's too ignorant to conduct herself in a becoming manner publicly and not keep her butt hurt bottled up inside and if she and her coach are too stupid to not realize everything they like and RT will be scrutinized, it certainly isn't farfetched to question her suitability to serve as an alternate and her suitability to move forward as a teammate.

Mykayla did not post the monkey emoji, it was part of the original tweet that she retweeted. I do not think it was meant to be anything but "I just can't" by the poster however it is very easy for me to say that, and if it is perceived as being racist then that is all that matters. I found the Star of David aka "sheriff's star" posted by the Trump camp in an anti-Hillary ad to be antisemitic but dh thought I was crazy. There is a Degrassi episode in the new season that deals with someone using a monkey picture as being racist. Degrassi still goes there ;).

Reeling this back into gymnastics, I found this interesting:
NBC Fails Fans and Athletes with Gymnastics Trials Coverage | FloGymnastics

I was actually amazed to see the number of girls competing when they showed them all together at the end of the competition and felt bad for those who had had no coverage at all.

Mykayla did not post the monkey emoji, it was part of the original tweet that she retweeted. I do not think it was meant to be anything but "I just can't" by the poster however it is very easy for me to say that, and if it is perceived as being racist then that is all that matters. I found the Star of David aka "sheriff's star" posted by the Trump camp in an anti-Hillary ad to be antisemitic but dh thought I was crazy. There is a Degrassi episode in the new season that deals with someone using a monkey picture as being racist. Degrassi still goes there ;).

Reeling this back into gymnastics, I found this interesting:
NBC Fails Fans and Athletes with Gymnastics Trials Coverage | FloGymnastics

I was actually amazed to see the number of girls competing when they showed them all together at the end of the competition and felt bad for those who had had no coverage at all.
doesnt this happen at almost every competition though, im pretty sure visa championships have quite a number of athletes competing but they only ever air the top competitors routines.

doesnt this happen at almost every competition though, im pretty sure visa championships have quite a number of athletes competing but they only ever air the top competitors routines.

Kind of like world's coverage on ESPN where they only show the top 4-5 teams, when there's a lot more in the finals. Of course, I guess they sometimes show short little snippets of the other contenders - probably should have done that here.

I find it interesting that Flosports is the one making a huge deal of the lack of coverage of the gymnasts who were not selected to Team USA. What's better - overexposure or underexposure? :confused:;)

I find it interesting that Flosports is the one making a huge deal of the lack of coverage of the gymnasts who were not selected to Team USA. What's better - overexposure or underexposure? :confused:;)
Didn't USA Gymnastics remove FloSports from broadcasting? Or did I imagine that...

ETA: It was the USOC who revoked their rights. So no, I am not shocked they're making a big deal of it. They've got a point to prove.

Didn't USA Gymnastics remove FloSports from broadcasting? Or did I imagine that...

ETA: It was the USOC who revoked their rights. So no, I am not shocked they're making a big deal of it. They've got a point to prove.

She was joking, referencing flo sports providing links to Mckayla maroney's nudes ("overexposure", lack of coverage ;) ) I believe

At one point the announcer rambled off a list of other gymnasts that were competing that weren't receiving coverage

I personally would have preferred to see them over Ashton crying after falling off the beam, Gabby trying to avoid the camera while drinking water and people stretching.

Lol @ FloSports. They're just mad that they got their credentials revoked... I highly doubt they actually care who NBC showed and are probably just pandering to the idea that most gym-fans are upset with the quality of NBC's coverage. The article also said that they never showed Madison Kocian's vault when they definitely did on the first night.

I agree that the coverage was terrible, like how can you NOT show Amelia Hundley?!, and that I would much rather watch Rachel Gowey's floor routine than watch Gabby sip water and listen to some story about why she fired her coach, but I think FloSports is probably just looking for people to agree with them.

But NBC's gymnastics coverage is pretty subpar

At one point the announcer rambled off a list of other gymnasts that were competing that weren't receiving coverage

I personally would have preferred to see them over Ashton crying after falling off the beam, Gabby trying to avoid the camera while drinking water and people stretching.

Exactly. Show them. No instead they panned to parents in the crowd...panned to the Olympic selection committee not watching other athletes....This was the highest National level some of these athletes will achieve. Allow them some recognition.

Exactly. Show them. No instead they panned to parents in the crowd...panned to the Olympic selection committee not watching other athletes....This was the highest National level some of these athletes will achieve. Allow them some recognition.

Or Maggie's knees. We saw Maggie's knees at least twice over 4 days of coverage 2 weeks apart.

She was joking, referencing flo sports providing links to Mckayla maroney's nudes ("overexposure", lack of coverage ;) ) I believe

I knew what she was referencing. But, I'm thinking that article was them being salty.

Back