OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
8ec9b143ea2716b4ecff663223bbfa00.png

Larissa posted this earlier. Does this mean she's traveling to Rio as an alternate? I haven't been keeping up with Romania
Yup, it was confirm a couple of weeks back when Ponor was announced as the flag barrier for team Romania at the opening ceremony.

Yup, it was confirm a couple of weeks back when Ponor was announced as the flag barrier for team Romania at the opening ceremony.
I think I read it wasn't ACTUALLY official then, since she was going to the games anyway. Romania said they were going to take more time and they had a few more friendly meets scheduled between the two. It looks to be official now.

What happened with Trinidad and Tobago?

Thema Williams was supposed to represent Trinidad and Tobago.

Shadiness happened. They pulled her for Marisa D. I. C. K. (is this word censored here?) (split on the beam mount girl) using citizenship based on her mom being Trini. Drama started back in the spring during the test event

Canadian-born gymnast Marisa richard mired in Olympic controversy | Toronto Star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do know that when Ponor was announced as flag bearer, the gymnast that was competing hadn't been announced yet.

I think I read it wasn't ACTUALLY official then, since she was going to the games anyway. Romania said they were going to take more time and they had a few more friendly meets scheduled between the two. It looks to be official now.
From what I understand, alternates aren't allowed to be present at the opening ceremony. So the Romanian Olympic Committee basically picked her even before their own gymnastics federation released an official statement.

... but you're right, it was to be determined by two more friendly competitions. Iordache appeared to be in pain during those meets and Ponor just scored higher on all three of the apparatuses she competed on. The results from those two meets just further sealed Ponor's spot for Rio.

Last edited:
Sorry, double post.
They are indeed taking Lari as an alternate. I think they're trying to make the best out a very unfortunate situation meaning her health hasn't completely been there but she's done so much for the Romania gymnastics. I hope she has a great time and makes lemonade out of lemons. I think Cata was the right decision but I really wish they could both compete. In 2008 and before if you were in the 13-16 spot you qualified 2 athletes I wish this hadn't changed.
Those extra 4 spots now go to an additional 4 AAers from 4 different countries, more diversity I suppose. Romania did qualify two MAG for the Olympics - Dragulescu and Muntean, of course, Dragulescu's berth was based on his podium finish on vault at Worlds last year. It's a real pity Iordache didn't receive an automatic berth for her podium finish in AA, an oversight by F.I.G.

I'm glad they've amended it for the next quad, now that they've realised there are medal-contending AAers who come from countries that can't qualify a team to the Olympics.

Newest practice leos. I'm glad they finally figured out the height thing because at training camp they had aly before gabby and laurie before madison (with alternates mixed in.)
ConxdUXVUAAGxV2.jpg

Thema Williams was supposed to represent Trinidad and Tobago.

Shadiness happened. They pulled her for Marisa D. I. C. K. (is this word censored here?) (split on the beam mount girl) using citizenship based on her mom being Trini. Drama started back in the spring during the test event

Canadian-born gymnast Marisa richard mired in Olympic controversy | Toronto Star

Dying over "Marisa Richard" being how Fierceboard censored this.

Marisa has always represented Trinidad and Tobago in competition despite being born in Canada.

I think John Geddart is the shadiest of the shade.

Newest practice leos. I'm glad they finally figured out the height thing because at training camp they had aly before gabby and laurie before madison (with alternates mixed in.)
ConxdUXVUAAGxV2.jpg

Yeah the height thing being wrong was funny. Also Gabby went from being the shorter in 2012 to the tallest

Dying over "Marisa Richard" being how Fierceboard censored this.

Marisa has always represented Trinidad and Tobago in competition despite being born in Canada.

I think John Geddart is the shadiest of the shade.

Yeah but Thema is actually Trini and represented her country as well and placed above Marisa in AA at Worlds. The whole situation is really messed up and the fact that snapchat pictures also played a role in her being pulled from the test event is just eye rolling, especially since the pictures weren't "that bad".

Thema is right to feel some kind of way, not 11 million dollar lawsuit worth of way, but they still did her wrong

Even though it's allowed, I still feel some kind of way about someone representing a country they don't have any real ties to (I know that Simone got citizenship in Belize jic). Like those two American gymnasts that represented Belarus (I think ) at Worlds. I'm just not a fan. Especially in the case of Trinidad where they had a capable gymnast to represent them

Even though it's allowed, I still feel some kind of way about someone representing a country they don't have any real ties to (I know that Simone got citizenship in Belize jic). Like those two American gymnasts that represented Belarus (I think ) at Worlds. I'm just not a fan. Especially in the case of Trinidad where they had a capable gymnast to represent them

the Belarus thing is sketchy AF, but at least Marisa is actually part Trini unlike Kylie Dickson.

@FlexyTumblerMom Geddart is Thelma's coach. He pulled her from the test event and the Trinidad and Tobago gymnastics federation was like WOAH NO SEND IN MARISA. So they did, Marisa qualified, everyone is angry.

Yeah but Thema is actually Trini and represented her country as well and placed above Marisa in AA at Worlds. The whole situation is really messed up and the fact that snapchat pictures also played a role in her being pulled from the test event is just eye rolling, especially since the pictures weren't "that bad".

Thema is right to feel some kind of way, not 11 million dollar lawsuit worth of way, but they still did her wrong

Simone's mom is Belizean, though, right? Except since, family tree speaking, it's her grandmother she'd be 2nd-3rd generation depending on where grandmother was born. I personally feel as though if you or at the very least your parents were not naturalized citizens of a country, you should not be able to compete for them in the Olympics.

If only women's gymnastics didn't have the youngest athletes. If they were older, they could look for husbands with citizenship elsewhere and we could send our whole "B team" to other countries.

the Belarus thing is sketchy AF, but at least Marisa is actually part Trini unlike Kylie Dickson.

@FlexyTumblerMom Geddart is Thelma's coach. He pulled her from the test event and the Trinidad and Tobago gymnastics federation was like WOAH NO SEND IN MARISA. So they did, Marisa qualified, everyone is angry.

So Geddart sabotaged his own gymnast? What motivation would he even have for doing that? Dude doesn't seem to have much luck w/ his Olympians - Jordyn last time and now this girl ;).

Back