All-Star As A Coach, What Would You Do If..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Something I don't get....she has a standing back but not a 2 to back? A standing back is harder so that makes no sense. Just curious.

Eh. My sister has a standing back but not a 2 to back.

Actually...I even had a standing back and never a 2 to back.

J4....let her spend the all season perfecting her other level 5 skills....you want your kids to be an "all-around" cheerleader not just a tumbler

Sometimes cheerleaders really dont perfect their standing BHS. Standing BHS should gain speed and power not lose it. This makes a 2 to tuck a lot more challenging and "scary" to them. Which may be a reason why she has a standing tuck and not the 2 to Tuck.

Sometimes cheerleaders really dont perfect their standing BHS. Standing BHS should gain speed and power not lose it. This makes a 2 to tuck a lot more challenging and "scary" to them. Which may be a reason why she has a standing tuck and not the 2 to Tuck.
Yup, this was the case with my CP for sure!

At Rockstar, it depends on a whole lot of circumstances. In a perfect world, we would love to have an entire team of Level tumbling. But, in reality it comes down to your stunt groups and needs for each team. If I've got a Large Level 5 team with Full and 1/2 ups stunts, and tick tocks, and I need a kick A** base that can make Stunt group A hit it, then I'm going to find a base that can make it hit. If they can tumble Level 5, perfect. If they can't, and they can hit the stunt, and I have nobody else, then I'm taking the non-tumbling Kick A** base. It all comes down to stunt groups and the score sheet you're competing on. Most scoresheets look for Majority, or close to full squad Level tumbling. So my answer is, it depends on what type of flyer, base, or backspot she is, and it depends on what the squad needs are for her. If you're at tryouts, and you have a Running Full, but don't have a Triple Toe Back, then you probably would be put on a Level 4 team. Then, if she improves to get Standing Tumbling at Level 5, and/or there is a need for her on that team, she could be moved later.

I would start her out on J4. It should be challenging but not overwhelming. Also a possibility to put her as an alternate on 5, it would give her the experience and something to aim for. She how hard she works then take it from there.
agree I would want my coaches to put me on a level 4 first where i can perfect and learn progression and be equally strong in jumps, motions stunting and tumbling, why be a little fish in a big sea when you can be a big fish in a smaller sea is what my mom says to me, I wish they made rules where you must complete one year of level 4 before moving up to a level 5. ( wishfull thinking)

I am pushing for my child to stay on a lower level. So many on the squad want the next level but I know my child doesn't have the whole package and would not enjoy her year because almost everyone that wants to move up is just getting a skill on the next level.I do not feel they would be very competitive with the bare min. but I'm afraid the coaches are going to move them up so they won't leave :( I made a deal with mine that she could do an individual tumbling pass at comps. She is happy with that

I am pushing for my child to stay on a lower level. So many on the squad want the next level but I know my child doesn't have the whole package and would not enjoy her year because almost everyone that wants to move up is just getting a skill on the next level.I do not feel they would be very competitive with the bare min. but I'm afraid the coaches are going to move them up so they won't leave :( I made a deal with mine that she could do an individual tumbling pass at comps. She is happy with that

Our daughter's 7 (turning 8) and on a mini 2 team. She's basically been told that because she'll eligible to be on the mini 2 team next year, that's where she'll be. Our gym generally doesn't like to have younger kids "play up" (as I call it) because it historically hasn't worked out well.

She also does individuals, so if she wants to show off her robhs tuck and front punch (when she finally gets them consistently) she can do it there. :)

GymCoach is absolutely right. But if you want a decision based on tumbling, I would put her on level 4. She's definitely too advanced for level 3 if she already has a standing tuck; but if she doesn't have level 5 standings, she'd be a disadvantage to the team.

Also depends on the size of the team, IMO. If it's a Large J5 as opposed to a small, "fakers" in skills or nuggets are less noticeable, I think.

I would definately go the Level 4 route, but depending on what the rest of the skills were: great Base/Backspot, sometimes to push those level 5 stunt/pyramid scores up, you may have the best base, but not up to par on the tumbling skills. But each gym should do what is best for their team.....

Back