All-Star Attitude Of Bases

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I knew of one that dropped her flyer on purpose because she didn't like her....at worlds. No. Lie. She bragged about it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
My first year that I ever coached, I coached a team that had two girls on it that happened to be sisters. The older sister was the younger one's base. Once they came to practice after they had gotten into a fight, and the sister that based just let go of her sister's foot. Poor flyer almost knocked out three of her teeth. The base was asked to leave the program.

My first year that I ever coached, I coached a team that had two girls on it that happened to be sisters. The older sister was the younger one's base. Once they came to practice after they had gotten into a fight, and the sister that based just let go of her sister's foot. Poor flyer almost knocked out three of her teeth. The base was asked to leave the program.
Things like this are the reason that lots of middle schools have been banned from stunting.

Cp is and always has been a base. These past few weeks during skills clinics, the coaches had her backspotting as well as maining and siding. I keep telling her learning every position makes her more valuable across the board. I can promise you there is no flyer envy in our home.

When she was much younger (I think 3rd or 4th grade), she did have a situation with a flyer that truly needed to be handled in the way that she did (although she would have preferred to just drop her :rolleyes:). Total Susie with a mom that played the victim card better than any SM you will ever meet. It was never Susie's fault, always the bases, poor Susie, no one likes her because she is so good and they're all jealous....y'all know the type. The kid would fall out of every stunt and scream and cry about her bases. It got to the point that the way she was falling was truly endangering the bases. After the bases being blamed over and over (and it did not matter who based her, there was always an issue), cp took matters into her own hands and the next time Susie came down on her, cp dropped to the mat and started crying saying how much that hurt her. The coaches finally took notice and grounded Susie (for a little while at least). SM was pissed but cp was pleased. And relieved not to be basing Susie for a while.

I know one girl who has always been a base. High school cheerleading tryouts come up and she decided to tryout for high school cheer this year. She says to her friends that she's "trying to fly" and later says that if she has to base, she will drop her flyers. This girl made the team...

Cp is and always has been a base. These past few weeks during skills clinics, the coaches had her backspotting as well as maining and siding. I keep telling her learning every position makes her more valuable across the board. I can promise you there is no flyer envy in our home.

When she was much younger (I think 3rd or 4th grade), she did have a situation with a flyer that truly needed to be handled in the way that she did (although she would have preferred to just drop her :rolleyes:). Total Susie with a mom that played the victim card better than any SM you will ever meet. It was never Susie's fault, always the bases, poor Susie, no one likes her because she is so good and they're all jealous....y'all know the type. The kid would fall out of every stunt and scream and cry about her bases. It got to the point that the way she was falling was truly endangering the bases. After the bases being blamed over and over (and it did not matter who based her, there was always an issue), cp took matters into her own hands and the next time Susie came down on her, cp dropped to the mat and started crying saying how much that hurt her. The coaches finally took notice and grounded Susie (for a little while at least). SM was pissed but cp was pleased. And relieved not to be basing Susie for a while.

That's a coaching issue not a flyer issue. If it took THAT MUCH for a coach to pull Susie from the air they weren't doing their jobs. That boils down to safety.

I've found that I have friends who's kids back, side, main and fly and typically whatever job their cp's are doing, it's the other position's fault when things go wrong. It drives me absolutely crazy that blame needs to even be placed. What is the most frustrating is when experienced coaches are correcting a kid in whatever position and that kid argues with them. Teach your kids to take correction, accept responsibility, not point fingers and be a team player. That will get them the further than whining, crying and pointing fingers. I guarantee you, as just many times as everyone thought something was their fault, the opposite was true And vice versa. It happens. Just get back up and do it again and try harder.

I have a confession... One time I was working with my sister (we're really close) and one of her bases on prep one legs, and she kept jumping out of the cradle (I guess because it was different on one leg) and she popped off to me, so the next time she jumped out I let her fall. I thought she'd land on her feet- she wasn't really cradling as much as sitting- or at the worst her butt and catch herself with her hands, but the poor child fell flat on her back. It didn't hurt her because she was on spring floor and didn't fall far but after months I still feel awful :(

I think all flyers and flyer's mom,need a good base friend,to knock some sense into them. I know when my cp was in her third year of cheer,I remember complaining to a friend,with a child who based,about how bruised,cp was or how hurt she was and just general whining,I heard from cp and passed on to her. God love her,she laid it out for me,that if my flyer cp was hurt and bruised,how did I think her bases looked? I'd never looked at it from the view of a base or base mom,but once she laid it all out for me,I then told cp and we both,took a step back and thought about how much force and effort her bases put in to keeping her safe in the air. Ever since then,we both make an extra effort, to thank her bases for keeping her safe in the air and letting them know how much we love and appreciate them. Bases have a hard job;and even just a simple thank you or a "are you okay? I'm so sorry I knocked you out with my butt.",go far with bases and their loved ones.

I've found that I have friends who's kids back, side, main and fly and typically whatever job their cp's are doing, it's the other position's fault when things go wrong. It drives me absolutely crazy that blame needs to even be placed. What is the most frustrating is when experienced coaches are correcting a kid in whatever position and that kid argues with them. Teach your kids to take correction, accept responsibility, not point fingers and be a team player. That will get them the further than whining, crying and pointing fingers. I guarantee you, as just many times as everyone thought something was their fault, the opposite was true And vice versa. It happens. Just get back up and do it again and try harder.

Din ding ding!

Stunts fall. Take the correction and move on.

Also, coaches talk. When we are trying to set teams, don't think we don't discuss who has a poor attitude or always has an excuse or finger to point when stunts fall.

Example: If we're looking at whether Suzie stays on Junior or moves to a Senior team, her consistent sass re: someone correcting her lib grip issues tells us she is not mature enough for Senior yet.

Speaking as a former base/flyer. I know that I sometimes blame or try to correct my bases and as a base my flyers try to correct me and sometimes it just puts you in a bad mood. However with that being said as a base I would never intentionally drop my flyer. Other times athletes just have a bad attitude whatever their stunt position may be.

A couple of days ago I was fronting a half up to extension and the flyer didnt stay tight and managed I dont know how to head butt me with her chin leaving a a massive bump 1inch from my head!!

Later I said to a coach if I was had a massive lump on my head and I was on the ground imagine how badly the flyer would have been injured if I did catch her and they said that was a good attitude that some people dont get.

My question is why isnt the attitude of bases like that because even at a lower level you have the saftey of the flyer in your hands!!

I'm the same way, even if i don't like a girl, i will put her up, and if shes falling, i will catch her. my coach knows, and makes it known to any new flyers that i will not let a flyer hit the floor. lord knows how many times i've gotten hurt catching my flier. And at one point, one of my flyer became my best friend, so our trust was mutual, she knew when i struggled and i knew when she did and she knew I'd catch her no matter what. I think thats why a flyer and a bases' (well, some) have a bond, and are usually friends because they build trust (not purposly) and just become friends.

Back