B/wo To Bhs Progression: Is This Possible?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hey guys! Sorry the titles a little vague. I wasn't sure what to put.

So I'm one of those weird athletes whom can do back walkovers, layouts, tucks, etc but I can't do a BHS. :( I used to be very good at them, but after having a tumbling accident and getting concussed I've had a mental block for the last couple years. I can do one with a spot but by myself is a total other matter. However, the other day I was messing around at the gym doing triple toe to double BWP and I realized that I was doing them very quickly with feet starting together then kicking over after hands touching the ground. So my question is, if I continue to do them quickly, could I possibly have enough momentum to turn my B/WO into a BHS step out? If so, I think that would really help my mental block and I'd be able to do them again, since I have no fear of BWOs.

Thanks so much! :)

A BWO and BHS are two VERY different skills. A BWO is a weight transfer skill, BHS is a power skill. In all honestly, I would say practicing the way you mentioned above would only cause you to learn more bad habits and make throwing your BHS that much harder in the future.

It's posts like these that make me wish I could fly some place to work with an athlete, because I think with the right instruction, I could have your BHS fixed in a very short period of time! haha

A BWO and BHS are two VERY different skills. A BWO is a weight transfer skill, BHS is a power skill. In all honestly, I would say practicing the way you mentioned above would only cause you to learn more bad habits and make throwing your BHS that much harder in the future.

It's posts like these that make me wish I could fly some place to work with an athlete, because I think with the right instruction, I could have your BHS fixed in a very short period of time! haha

I am having major issues with tumbling as im 20 and only been cheering for a year with no tumbling experiance. if someone tells me to splat (front tuck land on your bum) i can do it but backbends, handstand and cartwheels i cant do I go to open gyms as much as possible but i keep blocking. I struggle with back flexibility and dont know how to improve it?

I wish you could fly here. I need all the help I can get! :p

Back