Back Bend Kick Over

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2012
Hello,
I am currently working on my back bend kick over and I a having a lot of trouble. My tumbling coach says that The reason why I can't kick over is because I don't have enough arm strength to push my chest over my head whenin a bridge.I need some exercises that will help strengthen my arms from being in a bridge. Even thou I already have a very strong bridge. Please help me!!! Thanks! :D P.s. I had a previous injury which is also another thing stopping me. I had sprained a muscle in my arm and it is still healing.

Make sure to keep your arms straight and really push your shoulders over your wrists when you kick over. You want to keep as much weight as you can over your wrists and not in your feet. Also, try it with your feet elevated on a wedge/panel mat, and then work your way down the wedge (or unfold the panel mat one panel at a time)- it will help you build up to it.

A lot of people seem to forget you need a lot of back and shoulder flexibility in order to kick over, be sure to stretch your back and shoulder before tumbling:) Kick overs also require a lot of core muscle, so do lots of abdominal exercises like planks, scissors, and v-ups. As for improving your arm strength, push ups are great :) . Just remember when you are kicking over try to bring your hips over your shoulders, squeeze your core and always keep your arms straight. Good luck :D

One thing that really helped me get my kickover was using a large hexagonal mat and then progressing to smaller and smaller hexagon mats until you're practically doing it by yourself. Also, if you have a fairly low couch like I do, you can practice kicking over with that at home, just be careful of furniture! Hope that helps :)

Back